Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Why do I get the feeling a lot of firms over reached on numbers this cycle, then realised downturn is actually coming hard and reduced by the direct TC percentage?
From what I have heard about the sector, I don’t think this is the case. There may be a bit of an increase in applications - this typically happens when other sectors are taking hits (like you see in graduate hiring numbers being cut in financial services/tech etc).

Reactions: AlexJ

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Has anyone had any success with applying to Freshfields in the next cycle, after being rejected in the one previously after AC?

For context, I applied to FF Direct TC at the start of this cycle, around 10 months ago and I was told in the feedback call that the next time I'd be able to apply would be in October 2023.

taylorkelce

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2023
    I am sorry to hear that I know how hard you have been working and trust me you are going to get that TCV soon.
    I'd echo this. After many interviews, not just law, I have found that the correlation of preparation to success is surprisingly not anywhere near 100%.

There are many objective reasons, such as an unexpected question answered badly or case study sector that you had no knowledge of.

There are also subjective reasons that we do not discuss but probably should, such as the perfect storm of getting the wrong people on a bad day with a decision made either before entering the room or soon after. The interview then follows a pre written script and you have no chance of changing it.

Keeping going is the only way. Trust me, sometimes, you'll know in the first few seconds if they want you and the interview will be largely a rubber stamping exercise.

taylorkelce

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2023
    From what I have heard about the sector, I don’t think this is the case. There may be a bit of an increase in applications - this typically happens when other sectors are taking hits (like you see in graduate hiring numbers being cut in financial services/tech etc).
    Maybe I'm guided by other sectors, but it seems odd that many firms this cycle happened to have amazing people on all their VS that filled all the spots. Or they are being super quiet months after the deadlines, probably thinking about the market and internal strategy.

It's exactly what I've seen in banking and other sectors. Maybe law isn't the same but who knows.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    I'd echo this. After many interviews, not just law, I have found that the correlation of preparation to success is surprisingly not anywhere near 100%.

There are many objective reasons, such as an unexpected question answered badly or case study sector that you had no knowledge of.

There are also subjective reasons that we do not discuss but probably should, such as the perfect storm of getting the wrong people on a bad day with a decision made either before entering the room or soon after. The interview then follows a pre written script and you have no chance of changing it.

Keeping going is the only way. Trust me, sometimes, you'll know in the first few seconds if they want you and the interview will be largely a rubber stamping exercise.

Thank you so much! This is a really great reminder for me to keep things in perspective, and I appreciate the time you took to write this out x

Reactions: Ali A

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    For law firms that have a sector-focused approach does 100% of their revenue come from their sectors.
    Normally no. For shipping firms (WFW, HFW etc) the vast majority does, but they still do other work (eg WFW has a real estates disputes team which is not transport connected). I would suggest firms that focus on other sectors are less reliant on that sector, most firms that do energy work do a substantial amount of other work.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Normally no. For shipping firms (WFW, HFW etc) the vast majority does, but they still do other work (eg WFW has a real estates disputes team which is not transport connected). I would suggest firms that focus on other sectors are less reliant on that sector, most firms that do energy work do a substantial amount of other work.
    Thank you very much for this.

This is really helpful.

Reactions: AlexJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Maybe I'm guided by other sectors, but it seems odd that many firms this cycle happened to have amazing people on all their VS that filled all the spots. Or they are being super quiet months after the deadlines, probably thinking about the market and internal strategy.

It's exactly what I've seen in banking and other sectors. Maybe law isn't the same but who knows.
    Law is probably the most stable of industries for graduate jobs, and in particularly training contract numbers. Numbers have been pretty stable even in the worst of recessions (lowest I have seen in the last 20 years is just under 5,000, highest has been about 6,300).

It may not necessarily be the firms, but also candidates’ decisions. There may be fewer people reneging and declining offers resulting in a total number of offers being made being fewer. You tend to find less of that if people are more nervous about the job market.

However, it may also be the move to apprenticeships too. Alternative career routes will reduce the total number of TC opportunities, and we are seeing an increase in school leaver opportunities within law firms.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Tintin06 and AlexJ

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Freshfields TC offer earlier this evening. Over the moon:)
    That’s fantastic news!

Congratulations 🎉

Season 23 Singing GIF by The Voice

• 🤝
    Reactions: GaryTheSnail1
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.