TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch1234

Jan 5, 2023
Hi everyone, quick question - can the cover letter for Travers Smith be longer than a page? Is it advisable or should I keep it to one page only?
grad recruitment did a Q&A on instagram and they said there's flexibility with this but anywhere between a page to page and a half.
They also said it's up to you whether you include the address etc - so if you needed wordcount you can take this out. You copy and paste it into a box as opposed to attaching a file so you don't have to think about headers etc and the 'aesthetics' of it if that makes sense?

lawforme123

Oct 30, 2022
Anyone know which vac schemes tend to have most people retained for TCs, versus which ones are just an extended AC (eg. Shearman & Sterling seem to be quite transparent that their vac scheme is mostly centred around the assessments)?

wolfwoman

Star Member
Aug 1, 2022
grad recruitment did a Q&A on instagram and they said there's flexibility with this but anywhere between a page to page and a half.
They also said it's up to you whether you include the address etc - so if you needed wordcount you can take this out. You copy and paste it into a box as opposed to attaching a file so you don't have to think about headers etc and the 'aesthetics' of it if that makes sense?
This is very helpful - thank you so much!!!

Reactions: Arch1234

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    how many vacation scheme applications do you advise to complete?
    It depends on your circumstances. You want to get as many well-researched and well-written applications completed as possible. For some people this could be quite high (10+ applications), for others this may be as low as 1-2 applications. It depends on your circumstances, how much time you have, and how much time writing applications take you.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    It depends on your circumstances. You want to get as many well-researched and well-written applications completed as possible. For some people this could be quite high (10+ applications), for others this may be as low as 1-2 applications. It depends on your circumstances, how much time you have, and how much time writing applications take you.
    I second this ^ before I was not doing nearly as many but I have not been working the last few weeks so have managed to do about 20 at a rate of 1 (sometimes 2) a day. But this is because I have literally no other commitments as I quit my part time job and am ahead on uni work. just depends a lot on circumstances. When I had other commitments before I would spend 2-3 hours a night for probably 4-5 nights on 1 application before submitting so it was more like 1 every week or two.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    I second this ^ before I was not doing nearly as many but I have not been working the last few weeks so have managed to do about 20 at a rate of 1 (sometimes 2) a day. But this is because I have literally no other commitments as I quit my part time job and am ahead on uni work. just depends a lot on circumstances. When I had other commitments before I would spend 2-3 hours a night for probably 4-5 nights on 1 application before submitting so it was more like 1 every week or two.
    How did you research and/or network with firms if you submitted an app a day?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.