TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
You don’t need to demonstrate your own skills in this question. This question is purely asking about your understanding of the role, particularly at this firm, not your skills.

Aiming for three skills is a good approach given the word count. Make sure this is more tailored to the firm too.
I will keep it in mind to make it tailored to the firm and the specific office. Thank you so much! As the application form doesn't have a question that allows you to really sell yourself to the firm, should I use the work experience section to briefly outline (within each entry) how the work experiences have improved my skills which will be helpful as a trainee? I mean I will obviously be doing that anyway, but I don't know if I need to make it absolutely clear. I think that's probably not the appropriate space in the application form for adding something that essentially responds to "why me" but just wanted to check!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I will keep it in mind to make it tailored to the firm and the specific office. Thank you so much! As the application form doesn't have a question that allows you to really sell yourself to the firm, should I use the work experience section to briefly outline (within each entry) how the work experiences have improved my skills which will be helpful as a trainee? I mean I will obviously be doing that anyway, but I don't know if I need to make it absolutely clear. I think that's probably not the appropriate space in the application form for adding something that essentially responds to "why me" but just wanted to check!
I don’t think you need to do this either in all honesty. Just highlighting the skills developed will be enough, you don’t have to explain why they are important for a trainee as the firm will know this all too well. Evidencing the skill will be far more persuasive than explaining why it will help you as a trainee.

Some firms don’t need to have a “why me” in the application stage - they know they will assess this further along in the recruitment process. So only really cover why me if asked (or if a cover letter/personal statement is requested).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for clarifying that, Jessica!

I had a follow-up question if that's all right. There is a second question in the application form that asks to specifically explain motivations for the Dubai office. However, even for the "what skills are important for our firm?" question, as part of tailoring my response, I was wondering to make it office-specific. So for commercial awareness/interest in business, I am considering adding why having local knowledge will be useful when helping clients that operate in the Middle East region, for example. Is that a sensible approach to take?
yes - that sounds like an appropriate approach.

• Love
Reactions: Miss Chocolate

fingersarecrossed

Feb 11, 2024
If you have a vacation scheme [ VC] for jones day, and you are wanting to convert it to a training contract, the grad recruitment suggested:

1) be eager to do work in a variety of sectors - the more you explore, the more they like you (but ofc finish the tasks you were assigned first)
2) ask questions and take the time to get to know the associates/trainees
3) speak highly of the firm to trainees (apparently sometimes vc students have said they didn't really care if they get a tc with the firm or not etc - and that makes trainees at the firm feel down as its the firm they're training at so be nice about everyone and everything!)

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
Hey everyone!

By way of background, I graduated last summer and am currently working full-time as a paralegal. This is my third cycle and I must have done about 40 or so applications across that time, with around 4 ACs. Unfortunately, despite putting in plenty of effort and energy into the process, I'm still yet to land a VS or TC and unless I somehow pass a VI that I bombed, this cycle will be another failure.

I have a housemate who I lived with last year, who didn't apply in second year or final year of uni because she wanted to focus on studies/extracurriculars. This year, she's done one application to a firm she really liked and she phoned me on Friday to say that she'd got the VS with them. Obviously, I'm thrilled for her but that's tinged with jealousy. The fact she's done 1 application and successfully managed to obtain a VS, while I've done 40 applications or so across 3 years and have spent hours and hours writing applications, researching, preparing for ACs and so forth just seems brutally unfair. I know it's corporate law and it isn't supposed to be fair, but it's incredibly demotivating and makes me feel that the process is easy, and I'm just not good enough.

She's very personable and intelligent, so I understand why a firm would want her, but our grades/experiences etc weren't overly dissimilar. I just don't get how someone can manage that when I'm likely to be in my fourth cycle next year, still hoping that just one firm will give me a chance.

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Might be a bit of a no-brainer, but does anyone know any good podcasts to keep up with commercial awareness? I am trying to enhance my commercial knowledge so I would really appreciate it if you shared anything that has helped you!
I'd recommend FT News Briefing (for an overall macro-level picture) and The Commercial Awareness Podcast by Peter Watson (for understanding how to 'talk' commercially and discuss an issue at depth, which is something very different than just being commercially aware). BBC Radio 4 The Bottom Line is good too :)

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
When answering 'tell me about yourself', should you literally run through your experience or should you take it as an opportunity to do more of a hard sell?
Just a note, it is good to end with something really interesting about yourself, sticks in the interviewer's mind more and makes you seem interesting haha.

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    Hey everyone!

By way of background, I graduated last summer and am currently working full-time as a paralegal. This is my third cycle and I must have done about 40 or so applications across that time, with around 4 ACs. Unfortunately, despite putting in plenty of effort and energy into the process, I'm still yet to land a VS or TC and unless I somehow pass a VI that I bombed, this cycle will be another failure.

I have a housemate who I lived with last year, who didn't apply in second year or final year of uni because she wanted to focus on studies/extracurriculars. This year, she's done one application to a firm she really liked and she phoned me on Friday to say that she'd got the VS with them. Obviously, I'm thrilled for her but that's tinged with jealousy. The fact she's done 1 application and successfully managed to obtain a VS, while I've done 40 applications or so across 3 years and have spent hours and hours writing applications, researching, preparing for ACs and so forth just seems brutally unfair. I know it's corporate law and it isn't supposed to be fair, but it's incredibly demotivating and makes me feel that the process is easy, and I'm just not good enough.

She's very personable and intelligent, so I understand why a firm would want her, but our grades/experiences etc weren't overly dissimilar. I just don't get how someone can manage that when I'm likely to be in my fourth cycle next year, still hoping that just one firm will give me a chance.
    Luck plays a larger role in this process than most realise. C'est la vie, malheureusement. If your situations are not dissimilar as you say then you should genuinely be happy - it follows that there is no demonstrable reason you cannot have the same success she is having.

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
    Hi everyone, does anybody have any advice on approaching the following application question? - "If you could have dinner with 2 people from any point in history, who would you choose and why? Please convince us to why they would be the best choices." I feel like this is such a left-field question and I haven't come across anything like this before!

• Wow
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

lawstudent2003

Oct 26, 2023
    Might be a bit of a no-brainer, but does anyone know any good podcasts to keep up with commercial awareness? I am trying to enhance my commercial knowledge so I would really appreciate it if you shared anything that has helped you!
    I would also recommend "The Firm Analyst" by Adnan Shafi

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi everyone, does anybody have any advice on approaching the following application question? - "If you could have dinner with 2 people from any point in history, who would you choose and why? Please convince us to why they would be the best choices." I feel like this is such a left-field question and I haven't come across anything like this before!
    Hi,

When I have these types of questions I tend to name people that have a connection to my values or interests. For example, I once mentioned Einstein and Nietzsche. I am interested in Science and religion, my A-levels described a certain controversial topic based on science and religion. Plus, Nietzsche believed that there are no facts but just interpretations. Whereas, Einstein believed in people's capability to access facts. I also connected my interest to today's society and that we are all stuck to our own opinions without looking at/analysing empirical facts. Sorry, it is a bit complicated but I hope it makes sense. I substantiated every aspect of my answer.

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    Goldman Sachs Exchanges is pretty good for deep dives. I'd also recommend 'The Lawyer' podcast as it breaks down trending legal topics in a very easily digestible way.

Kittyb444

Feb 18, 2024
    Sent a chaser email to Milbank asking when we should expect to get AC feedback. Received an extremely generic post-app rejection style email in response. Really disappointing, especially since they came across so well on the day of the AC.
    Had you received a rejection email after asking them for the AC feedback or before? Just asking becasue i havent heard back yet too after my AC :(

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.