Mayer Brown βœ…πŸ“βŒ
    Winston & Strawn βœ…
    Morgan Lewis βœ…βŒ
    Orrick βœ…
    Dechert βœ…πŸ“βŒ
    Cooley βœ…βŒ
    Morrison Foerster βœ…
    Slaughter and May βœ…βŒ

βœ… = applied; ❌ = PFO; πŸ“Ό = VI; πŸŽ™οΈ = AC; πŸ“ = test.
    Nicee assuming you only decided to go for US/MC/SC?

Did you get a Goodwin interview Or is it TC app?

I reckon Mofo has Ghosted if they haven’t replied as it has been mentioned some have interviews and they’re nortious for need replying (I’ve put them as pfo myself)

Farhan65756

Distinguished Member
    Feb 3, 2023
    Does anyone know if the Paul Hastings summer work placement ends with a TC interview? I've checked online but can't seem to find out - currently trying to decide if I should just apply to the direct TC or the summer scheme
    I went to their open day. They said they don’t. It’s just a paid work placement. If you want a TC from them, you’ll still need to apply to their direct TC

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    currently stressing for my white and case interview on Monday. Does anyone have any advice on common reasons why applicants get rejected from the assessment centre? I was just wondering what to avoid. (Apart from naming all US firms as competitors πŸ˜‚)
    RonRod will go down in TCLA folklore

hehostressed

Jan 2, 2021
    Does anyone know how far out from the start date paralegal positions recruit from?
    I’d say a week to a month. I’d say the standard is two weeks unless the firm is stringent on when they want you to start (like one firm wouldn’t mind whenever you start asap and pay you in six weeks rather than four, and another would just wait till the start of a new month so they can calculate your pay accordingly)

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    currently stressing for my white and case interview on Monday. Does anyone have any advice on common reasons why applicants get rejected from the assessment centre? I was just wondering what to avoid. (Apart from naming all US firms as competitors πŸ˜‚)
    failing to finish the written assessment, not saying enough during group exercises, cutting my answers for 'why law' or 'why firm' short, freaking out after looking at the frowning partner and spitting out every single commercial concept I've studied the past week were some of the personal ones πŸ’€

just go in prepared, relax, and try to be yourself. they are not looking for perfection🀣

• 🀝
    Reactions: Ash2323, HLL, yxngd2x and 3 others

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    I honestly think the biggest factor/advice I can give is to be confident.

I know it’s way easier said than done, but I’m pretty sure it’s a big reason why I’ve been rejected at AC stage in the past. You can have all the commercial acumen, firm knowledge, and motivation in the world, but if that Partner who’s interviewing you couldn’t picture putting you in front of a client, I think you’re struggling to get the VS.

It’s incredibly cheesy, but tell yourself that you deserve to be there. You’ve reached that stage and the firm has invested time and money in you. If they didn’t think you were worthy of being on a VS, they wouldn’t have invited you. Remind yourself of that, be personable, and be confident.

I remember getting myself freaked out at my last AC because when everyone was going around saying what uni they were at, 4/7 were from Oxbridge, one from LSE, and the other Cornell. It immediately put me on the back foot and made me question why I was there when they’re bound to be more capable. But they’re not. They’re in the exact same spot as you and have as good a chance as you do.

Be confident, have self-belief, and I genuinely feel that makes your prospects and performance increase ten fold :)

Last edited:

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    I've had 5 ACs across previous cycles so I feel well qualified to answer this question (sarcasm)
    I'm not sure about common reasons but here are some DO NOTs that I have done.

1. Don't get into an argument with the Partner on the interview panel during the interview. I don't mean a discussion or heated debate, I mean a full blown argument... {AC 1}
    2. Don't get into an argument with a member of graduate recruitment on the interview panel during the interview. (This was a different interview to that above). {AC 2}
    3. Don't get into a heated debate with a Senior Associate during the interview. (same panel as number 2). {AC 2}
    (If you see them exchange a glance at the end, just know that you are not getting the job. In fact, a sensible person would know this before it got to that point, but I did not).
    4. Don't state obvious lies. I said I was an Olympian. I don't even play sport for the country or at county level. I don't even play sport period. {AC 3}
    [I was nervous, and my mouth kept moving without engaging with my brain first...].
    5. Don't go to the interview wearing or with items from another law firm. e.g. like a pen, pad, umbrella etc. (The partner kindly pointed this out to me, that it would appear I was leaning more to other firms, pointing at the items from other law firms that I had brought in. (Thankfully I did not argue with him) {AC 4}
    6. Don't lie. And if you are going to lie, then back it up with something sensible. I stated that I'm a runner and did the marathon in 2 hours. {AC 4}
    {Again, I've no idea why I bothered lying. I could have just used something that I actually do}

DO NOTs that I have not done, but have witnessed
    (1) do not arrive late, (2) do not smell (3)do not forget to iron your clothes (4) do not go overkill with perfume (5) do not smoke, only to go to the loo and brush your teeth

What I've learned. Just be yourself. Lots of people (like me) just crucify themselves. My nerves just take over and I just become someone else. Just be yourself. You will be fine. This year I was myself and I have got the furthest than any cycles before, manage to bag myself a Spring VS.

(On an aside, RonRod has rubbed a few people up the wrong way today, but at least it was virtual and not in person, at a law firm, to a panel or partner like me...we all deserve another chance)...

Last edited:

IanforaTC

Feb 7, 2024
    I've had 5 ACs across previous cycles so I feel well qualified to answer this question (sarcasm)

1. Don't get into an argument with the Partner on the interview panel during the interview. I don't mean a discussion or heated debate, I mean a full blown argument... {AC 1}
    2. Don't get into an argument with a member of graduate recruitment on the interview panel during the interview. (This was a different interview to that above). {AC 2}
    3. Don't get into a heated debate with a Senior Associate during the interview. (same panel as number 2). {AC 2}
    (If you seem them exchange a glance at the end, just know that you are not getting the job. In fact, a sensible person would know this before it got to that point, but I did not).
    4. Don't state obvious lies. I said I was an Olympian. I don't even play sport for the country or at county level. I don't even play sport period. {AC 3}
    [I was nervous, and my mouth keep moving without engaging with my brain first...].
    5. Don't go to the interview wearing or with items from another law firm. e.g. like a pen, pad, umbrella etc. (The partner kindly pointed this out to me, that it would appear I was leaning more to other firms, pointing at the items from other law firms that I had brought in. (Thankfully I did not argue with him) {AC 4}
    6. Don't lie. And if you are going to lie, then back it up with something sensible. I stated that I'm a runner and did the marathon in 2 hours. {AC 4}
    {Again, I've no idea why I bothered lying. I could have just use something that I clearly do}

(1) do not arrive late, (2) do not smell (3)do not forget to iron your clothes (4) do not go overkill with perfume (5) do not smoke, only to go to the loo and brush your teeth in the loo

What I've learned. Just be yourself. Lots of people (like me) just crucify themselves. My nerves just take over and I just become someone else. Just be yourself. You will be fine. This year I was myself and I have got the furthest than any cycles before, manage to bag myself a Spring VS.

(On an aside, RonRod has rubbed a few people up the wrong way today, but at least it was virtual and not in person, at a law firm, to a panel or partner like me...we all deserve another chance)...
    I'm sorry but I lost it at "I said I was an Olympian... I don't even play sport" πŸ˜‚

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020

(If you see them exchange a glance at the end, just know that you are not getting the job. In fact, a sensible person would know this before it got to that point, but I did not).
    [I was nervous, and my mouth kept moving without engaging with my brain first...].
    {Again, I've no idea why I bothered lying. I could have just used something that I actually do}

(1) do not arrive late, (2) do not smell (3)do not forget to iron your clothes (4) do not go overkill with perfume (5) do not smoke, only to go to the loo and brush your teeth

Oh my gosh i am so sorry this happened to you but you are hilarious🀣🀣🀣 laughed out loud for the first time this week.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021

How have you managed to land yourself in arguments with both a Partner and a graduate recruitment member? I’m really intrigued to know what you argued about 😭

And as funny as the Olympian one is, I’m dying at the marathon one. You’ve literally told a Partner that you broke the world record for a marathon by about 30 minutes πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ I don’t even know how you do that or what the reaction was but that’s hilarious. Thanks for brightening up the forum and glad you got a VS!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.