TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Hi, I have an AC coming up, and one of the exercises is a written exercise where you need to write an email to a partner. Does anyone have experience/advice for this or a good example of what this might look like? I've never done an exercise like this so would love some help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker out of curiosity, what could cause a delay to GR sending offers/rejections by a time they specified? I'd love to know of the kind of operational issues that could slow things down.
Most common: client work.

Graduate recruitment haven’t got the feedback from the fee earning assessors as they have been pulling several late nights to do fee earning work.

Incredibly common: illness/absence

All it takes is for someone to be off ill unexpectedly or people to take time off from work and deadlines are pushed back. If the Graduate Recruitment Manager is off sick, it’s highly likely no one is going to make any decisions until they are back.

Happens often: priorities change

Graduate Recruitment typically aren’t just doing recruitment. There will be a whole load of things they have to work on outside of making offers, and offers are often not the most pressing issue.

Happens enough: waiting for information

Whether it be waiting for references or waiting for someone to come back to them that will influence the process, it could be that they are all good to go but are just waiting for someone else to provide information that allows them to proceed.

Other reasons:

- Extended the recruitment process (eg they want to see more candidates. They may have planned for their last assessment to be last week, but then may choose to arrange another assessment to see more candidates
- technology fails!
- disagreements in decision making (can drag it out if people don’t agree)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone had any experience in asking a firm offering you a VS offer to a TC offer instead (whether by re-interviewing or else) - if so please PM me!!
Transferring a VS offer directly to a TC offer isn’t common (although not unknown). Most firms will just transfer you to the direct TC hiring process - it maybe that you can be fast tracked through this if you completed similar assessments for the VS, but it’s likely you will need to be reinterviewed or complete other assessments for the vast majority of firms.

Are you not able to do the VS with a firm who has offered you?

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
Hi, I have an AC coming up, and one of the exercises is a written exercise where you need to write an email to a partner. Does anyone have experience/advice for this or a good example of what this might look like? I've never done an exercise like this so would love some help!
Hey, I work as a paralegal and would suggest saying something like ….

Hi (name),

I hope you are well.

(Insert content)
Are you attaching something?
What is the content. Lay it all plainly use short sentences and break it up if you can.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if I can assist further. (Amend depending on the task)

Best wishes,

Your name

It’s not a set format- but just remember to be polite, set out what you need and end it with you either offering offering to help further or if appropriate any suggestions for next steps or asking if they have any suggestions.

I hope this helps!!

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Hey, I work as a paralegal and would suggest saying something like ….

Hi (name),

I hope you are well.

(Insert content)
Are you attaching something?
What is the content. Lay it all plainly use short sentences and break it up if you can.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or if I can assist further. (Amend depending on the task)

Best wishes,

Your name

It’s not a set format- but just remember to be polite, set out what you need and end it with you either offering offering to help further or if appropriate any suggestions for next steps or asking if they have any suggestions.

I hope this helps!!
That's so so helpful thank you so much!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.