Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you're drafting something for a Partner that is eventually intended for the client (i.e. a memo), would you introduce yourself to the Partner first in a written exercise?

Or just go in straight as if it's for the client, with no reference to the partner? Any thoughts @Jessica Booker?
You wouldn’t need to introduce yourself to a colleague - I would just write the memo for the client. If you are having to write something alongside the memo, then that would be slightly different.

Reactions: Jaysen

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Congrats! Out of curiosity when did you complete the online assessment? Best of luck!
offered the test on the 28th/29th. Completed it on the 3rd of March. Received the invite today.

I don't think it's a sign of anything. I think all applicants get offered this. Bare in mind there were no recorded videos asked of in the application process. Essentially every firm I've applied for that utilises Amberjacks ask for video interviews. Bar Mills and Reeve.

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
Did you send your application off for the spring VS deadline? I'm wondering if lots of people who applied specifically for summer have received VIs...
When I applied there was no option to choose which scheme. They then emailed and asked which I wanted to attend and I replied Spring but was also available for Summer too. No response since. This was after VI.

midnightsky990422

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
offered the test on the 28th/29th. Completed it on the 3rd of March. Received the invite today.

I don't think it's a sign of anything. I think all applicants get offered this. Bear in mind there were no recorded videos asked of in the application process. Essentially every firm I've applied for that utilises Amberjacks ask for video interviews. Bar Mills and Reeve.
Hey, I think the TI is part of the shortlisting process given that the post-test email said the following:
We consider the scores of your assessment alongside the content of your application. This is to ensure we get a rounded view of you as an individual. Should you be successful, the next stage of the recruitment process will be a telephone interview (approx. 15 minutes) during which we will further explore your motivations and future career aspirations.
I’m sure they don’t have time to TI with everybody!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello All!!
I have accepted two VS. I am so excited and I am starting to prepare for them. I want to ask if it negatively impacts for chances of converted to a TC if they know you are doing other VSs??
No - it wont be the case. Just be prepared for any questions about how you would choose between the two firms if they both offered you a TC.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Jaysen and Sharon Wu

emilyding

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 6, 2023
We view the responsible use of AI as something that can strengthen your abilities, fostering creativity and refining ideas, rather than a shortcut to replace authentic input.

How do you expect to use generative AI tools to enhance your effectiveness as a solicitor in the future?

If you have, you may also choose to include specific examples of how you have utilised generative AI to elevate part of your application in this answer.

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Hi guys, may I know your opinions in approaching this question? Thanks!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I had a written exercise a few days ago, and I completely ran out of time.

I felt like my first section was fine, but my second was far weaker, and it wrapped up quickly. I did a brief conclusion, but don't think it was that impactful. Will this reflect poorly and likely hurt my chances of being successful @Jessica Booker?
I can’t really comment on this with any certainty without knowing how the firm assesses the exercise unfortunately.

codytrainee

Standard Member
Mar 22, 2024
I can’t really comment on this with any certainty without knowing how the firm assesses the exercise unfortunately.
Thanks Jessica :) Would you say it’s common for people not to finish written exercises? I would say I tried to bring in my own commercial knowledge and what I put was accurate, it just had a weak ending.

As an aside, is the interview part of the AC generally weighted more heavily than the written exercise? Or again, is it very firm dependent?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica :) Would you say it’s common for people not to finish written exercises? I would say I tried to bring in my own commercial knowledge and what I put was accurate, it just had a weak ending.

As an aside, is the interview part of the AC generally weighted more heavily than the written exercise? Or again, is it very firm dependent?
Yes - very common. Most exercises (not just written ones) are designed in a way that many people won’t complete them fully in the time provided.

Weighting will vary from firm to firm and from exercise to exercise. Some firms don’t go just by exercise but by the individual competencies within them too.

Reactions: Jaysen

codytrainee

Standard Member
Mar 22, 2024
I haven't received a reply yet from W&C for the summer VS, I've seen others who have and congrats btw!!!!!! I'm not sure how W&C go about responding for VS's (if they send out offers first) but does this mean an impeding rejection for me?😅🥲
100% not. I'm still waiting but I know people who had their ACs this week and still think they have more to do. I imagine they hand out some as they go through but may wait until the end.

I didn't finish the written exercise and one of my sections was way too short, so I know it's a PFO. But remain optimistic!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.