TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
We view the responsible use of AI as something that can strengthen your abilities, fostering creativity and refining ideas, rather than a shortcut to replace authentic input.

How do you expect to use generative AI tools to enhance your effectiveness as a solicitor in the future?

If you have, you may also choose to include specific examples of how you have utilised generative AI to elevate part of your application in this answer.

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre Hi guys, may I know your opinions in approaching this question? Thanks!
Hey @emilyding,

I think that the key thing here is following the guidelines that the question is giving you, so the way I would approach the question is:
  • Describe three ways in which you use generative AI: to strengthen your abilities, foster creativity and refine your initial ideas. Using the prompt given will allow you to specifically answer the questions with coherent examples.
  • Use examples in your life, whether it is using AI for university coursework, or for your position in some university societies, or some volunteering.
  • I would specifically focus on how you used generative AI to improve an aspect of the tasks you carried out in a specific role or task.
  • I would also include a sentence linking how you would use AI to improve your skills and become a better trainee at the firm.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I haven't received a reply yet from W&C for the summer VS, I've seen others who have and congrats btw!!!!!! I'm not sure how W&C go about responding for VS's (if they send out offers first) but does this mean an impeding rejection for me?😅🥲
I would try to get in touch with them next week and ask some updates. They must be very busy during this time of year so I would reach out.

Reactions: jasonbourne

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I had a written exercise a few days ago, and I completely ran out of time.

I felt like my first section was fine, but my second was far weaker, and it wrapped up quickly. I did a brief conclusion, but don't think it was that impactful. Will this reflect poorly and likely hurt my chances of being successful @Jessica Booker?
It is really difficult to be able to tell without necessarily reading your answer or knowing what the prompt was about but I would say that with written exercises, you never know the standard that the law firms are looking for.

You might think that what you did is not of a good standard when in reality for the law firm is more than okay so I would just try not to overthink it too much, there is nothing you can do about it. I am sure that what you produced was more than good!

Good luck with it!

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello All!!
I have accepted two VS. I am so excited and I am starting to prepare for them. I want to ask if it negatively impacts for chances of converted to a TC if they know you are doing other VSs??
Congratulations for not only securing one but two? This is amazing!

I would say no. I had two vacation schemes too last year and the first one I did, people at the firm used to ask me if I had other schemes and I was very honest and I think that it reflects positively as you appear more competitive as a candidate. Do not try to compare the two firms in any way or try to talk bad about one to the other, and never mention it if you are not asked.

Be frank about the fact that you have two and keep it at that, this will prevent you from falling into traps when someone is asking for questions that might put you in an uncomfortable position.

Congratulations once again and good luck with them, I am sure you will be able to convert them!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey Axel, can you give more information on this? I have one VS from my first cycle, this is my second and I've missed VS deadlines for personal reasons but TC deadlines are still open. Don't have loads of legal experience except a couple of internships during uni (I'm 24) and finished the PGDL last August. Do you think it'd be OK for me to apply to TCs with just one commercial law VS?
Yes, this is more than okay and you will be able to concretely speak about your interest in the legal profession also using your past experience in the vacation scheme you did.

I think that the secret when it comes to direct training contract is try to use your experiences to showcase the skills you possess as you want the law firm to be 100% convinced that your skills will align with the firm and that they will make you the best trainee possible. They would assess this with the vacations scheme usually, but because you are not doing one, it is paramount that you are even more convincing.

I personally think that your experiences and background are perfectly fine for the applications to direct training contracts and they will make you successful. It is just the way you answer the questions that has to showcase your skills and abilities in such a convincing way, even more so than at the vacation scheme application stage.

I am sure you will be successful so a massive good luck with the applications!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know if law firms have/will be willing to still let graduates sit the LPC over the SQE for TCs 2024 and beyond?

If I was successful this cycle, I would much prefer to do the LPC as I am still applying for traditional training contracts.. so it shouldn’t make the world of difference?
I think everyone would do the LPC over the SQE if that was possible. I think it is not possible anymore and some firms will not even accept you if you studied the LPC so SQE is the only way.

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    100% not. I'm still waiting but I know people who had their ACs this week and still think they have more to do. I imagine they hand out some as they go through but may wait until the end.

I didn't finish the written exercise and one of my sections was way too short, so I know it's a PFO. But remain optimistic!
    Oh wow I thought they did all the ACs and were just making decisions. You'll be good! As long as you had a sound structure for it, I think that'll be fine you never know!

midnightsky990422

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 10, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre Hi guys, a handful of us on here, myself included, have been lucky enough to secure 15 minute telephone interviews with Browne Jacobson. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to maximise chances of moving forward in the process despite such a short interview slot. It's my first ever application cycle as a non-law grad currently working outside of the legal profession trying to convert to law, so any intel and insight will be much much appreciated! :)

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Just submitted an app with a line that read "None of the partners in this firm are POC, I was hoping I could change that one day" in the motivation part of the form LOL
    You Betcha Jake Lloyd GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Now that's the commercially guided motivation I like to see. I salute you comrade!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What value will a paralegal or compliance assistant role add to my application as a graduate?
    Both are great roles to secure after graduation and whilst you pursue a training contract. It will be role dependent, but they both should bring a lot of value to your future application through the knowledge and skills you gain. Other roles can do this to though, so it’s not vital to secure either of these type of roles.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @Jaysen @axelbeugre Hi guys, a handful of us on here, myself included, have been lucky enough to secure 15 minute telephone interviews with Browne Jacobson. I was wondering if you had any advice on how to maximise chances of moving forward in the process despite such a short interview slot. It's my first ever application cycle as a non-law grad currently working outside of the legal profession trying to convert to law, so any intel and insight will be much much appreciated! :)
    Hey @midnightsky990422,

Thank you for your message and I can understand how this assessment might seem daunting as 15 minutes is a very limited amount of time to showcase everything you have to convince the law firm to take you on board. First of all, congratulations to you all for reaching this stage as I am sure this is not easy in the slightest.
    Some tips I would give are:
    1. I would treat as a real interview. This means prepare as you were preparing an actual interview.
    2. Have your answers prepared and ready to go for the usual questions: Why law/, why the firm?, why me?, what skills are necessary to succeed as a lawyer?
    3. Be concise in your answers. This is crucial in interviews usually but in a telephone interview this becomes paramount given the fact that you do not have much time to speak about everything you would want to mention.
    4. Be very specific with what you decide to talk about. When asked about experiences or motivations, it is really important that you pick 2/3 things to talk about, usually things you are very confident with, so that it will come natural to speak more fluently and confidently.
    5. Make sure to not sound like you are reading off of a script. This is really important but I personally would not have anything written in front of me during the interview as you will be tempted to read and you might not come off as genuine or natural.
    These are some of crucial the tips that I have, congratulations once again and good luck with the assessment!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    What value will a paralegal or compliance assistant role add to my application as a graduate?
    I think that they will give you the experience you need to really understand if you want to work in the profession, combined with the necessary to knowledge to succeed at very basic trainee tasks when you start your training contract.

I would make sure to use the experience to wider my network of people I know in the industry too. This will give you the chance of knowing what kind of practice areas you might be interested in, the career path you would want to take after qualification as well as which law firms are best suited to your work ethic and work style.

Good luck with the search and I am sure what whatever you end up doing will be extremely beneficial.

Reactions: hopefulforatc

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Since you asked...

Willkie Farr & Gallagher ✅📼📝❌
    Covington & Burling ✅❌
    Shearman & Sterling ✅❌
    White & Case ✅📼🎙️❌
    Milbank ✅❌
    Ropes & Gray ✅
    Arnold & Porter ✅
    Sullivan & Cromwell ✅❌
    Latham & Watkins ✅🎙️❌
    Kirkland & Ellis ✅❌
    Skadden Arps ✅❌
    Vinson & Elkins ✅❌
    Weil Gotshal & Manges ✅❌
    Akin ✅📝❌
    Gibson Dunn ✅❌
    Goodwin ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅❌
    Paul Hastings ✅
    Ashurst ✅ 📝❌
    Macfarlanes ✅📝❌
    Mayer Brown ✅📝❌
    Winston & Strawn ✅
    Morgan Lewis ✅❌
    Orrick ✅
    Dechert ✅📝❌
    Cooley ✅❌
    Morrison Foerster ✅
    Slaughter and May ✅❌

✅ = applied; ❌ = PFO; 📼 = VI; 🎙️ = AC; 📝 = test.
    Hey, how is it going? Any more updates?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.