TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    If my employment contract for my current company has a clause in that reads:

'You are prohibited from engaging, either independently or as an employee, agent, or consultant for any other individual, partnership, or corporation, or as a Director of any entity, in any trade, business, profession, or fee-earning activity during your employment, unless written consent is obtained from a Director of the company. Such consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.'

I have accepted a VS for this summer, but don't want to let my boss know why I want 10 days off, as I am happy in this career until I obtain a TC - so I have requested the absence 'for holiday'.

There is no real way they can find out, so should I just chance it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If my employment contract for my current company has a clause in that reads:

'You are prohibited from engaging, either independently or as an employee, agent, or consultant for any other individual, partnership, or corporation, or as a Director of any entity, in any trade, business, profession, or fee-earning activity during your employment, unless written consent is obtained from a Director of the company. Such consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.'

I have accepted a VS for this summer, but don't want to let my boss know why I want 10 days off, as I am happy in this career until I obtain a TC - so I have requested the absence 'for holiday'.

There is no real way they can find out, so should I just chance it?
    You could, but you could then also have a disciplinary record that could follow you if you are fired for breaching the terms of your employment. Although references tend to be fairly standard with employment dates and job title, previously employers will often disclose disciplinary actions when they provide references.

You may also need to disclose such work to the vac scheme firm too, who could then contact your current employer, as any conflict check process. So it is not completely unrealistic that your current employer could find out.

The safest option is asking your employer whether they can make an exception to the term, but you'd most likely need to make your boss aware of the situation if you did do this.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    You could, but you could then also have a disciplinary record that could follow you if you are fired for breaching the terms of your employment. Although references tend to be fairly standard with employment dates and job title, previously employers will often disclose disciplinary actions when they provide references.

You may also need to disclose such work to the vac scheme firm too, who could then contact your current employer, as any conflict check process. So it is not completely unrealistic that your current employer could find out.

The safest option is asking your employer whether they can make an exception to the term, but you'd most likely need to make your boss aware of the situation if you did do this.
    I worry, as I'm progressing well in this role and explicitly said in my interview, when asked about the SQE course and PgDL I had taken, that I was no longer interested in a career in law. Telling them 1.5 years down the line that I want time off for what is essentially a job try-out, won't go down well at all.

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
    Nov 18, 2023
    I worry, as I'm progressing well in this role and explicitly said in my interview, when asked about the SQE course and PgDL I had taken, that I was no longer interested in a career in law. Telling them 1.5 years down the line that I want time off for what is essentially a job try-out, won't go down well at all.
    Your best bet is to just take the risk and request time off as a holiday. The chances of your current employer finding out are slim to none.

Theres absolutely no point disclosing the vac scheme to your current employer because then they will obviously know that you’ve got one foot out the door which isn’t a great look. And if you don’t convert the vac scheme then you’re in an even worse position than you started.

The safest option is not always the best one…

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Your best bet is to just take the risk and request time off as a holiday. The chances of your current employer finding out are slim to none.

Theres absolutely no point disclosing the vac scheme to your current employer because then they will obviously know that you’ve got one foot out the door which isn’t a great look. And if you don’t convert the vac scheme then you’re in an even worse position than you started.

My thoughts exactly, I'll be like a bad smell in the office.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Well there is a point if there is a risk of the employer finding out anyway. The concept that there is a slim to none chance of being found out is incorrect.

A bit factor in this is what type of industry you are currently working in. If this is a regulated industry (banking, accountancy) or in a major public sector organisation like the Civil Service, or in any competitor/organisation where conflicts could be an issue, this becomes an exceptionally larger risk someone would be taking.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Well there is a point if there is a risk of the employer finding out anyway...

A bit factor in this is what type of industry you are currently working in. If this is a regulated industry (banking, accountancy) or in a major public sector organisation like the Civil Service, or in any competitor/organisation where conflicts could be an issue, this becomes an exceptionally larger risk someone would be taking.
    It is in one of the aforementioned sectors, we often work with other law firms as well, which makes a conflict check even more likely.

I'm really not sure what the best course of action is, I'm going to email grad rec and see what they say.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It is in one of the aforementioned sectors, we often work with other law firms as well, which makes a conflict check even more likely.

I'm really not sure what the best course of action is, I'm going to email grad rec and see what they say.
    They are going to tell you to disclose it to your employer. Could the vac scheme firm offer you a direct TC process instead?

Bolade

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 22, 2024
    Hii @Jessica Booker Wanted to ask what the difference is between - "Why do you think we should consider employing you?” and “What experiences (if any) have you encountered to date that you feel may be brought with you to the firm and from which we may benefit?” and how to go about both?

Reactions: axelbeugre

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    They are going to tell you to disclose it to your employer. Could the vac scheme firm offer you a direct TC process instead?
    Yes, but the deadline for this has now passed. I'll email and ask if I can switch to that. I'm hoping I won't have to do all the stages again.

Seems like the only option really, as I don't want to shoot myself in the foot with my current employer.

Thanks, Jessica!

ErickLawson2020

Premium Member
    Dec 10, 2023
    Well there is a point if there is a risk of the employer finding out anyway. The concept that there is a slim to none chance of being found out is incorrect.

What if the current role is in another country?
    Will that make things like conflict check slightly better?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.