TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
If my employment contract for my current company has a clause in that reads:

'You are prohibited from engaging, either independently or as an employee, agent, or consultant for any other individual, partnership, or corporation, or as a Director of any entity, in any trade, business, profession, or fee-earning activity during your employment, unless written consent is obtained from a Director of the company. Such consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.'

I have accepted a VS for this summer, but don't want to let my boss know why I want 10 days off, as I am happy in this career until I obtain a TC - so I have requested the absence 'for holiday'.

There is no real way they can find out, so should I just chance it?
Do you work in a regulated profession which is likely to have contact with the law firm and/or its clients?
If so - consider asking permission, otherwise I would chance it tbh. Even if you are in a regulated profession - if you are working for say a high street accountants and doing a VS at a US firm, it's extremely unlikely there would be any crossover, so I would consider just keeping it to yourself.

I know Jessica said about the VS firm potentially contacting your current firm but tbh I think this is unlikely - it never happened at any of the law firms I was at, and I even made it clear I was being a bit under-the-radar with the whole thing to the firms and they were more than happy to be discreet and oblige. I had no clause like that in my contract but obviously for regular reasons I didn't necessarily want it to be known I was trying out another job. I didn't work in a regulated industry (strategy consulting) but would have been in contact with clients who were of similar ilk on confidential / market sensitive matters and nothing was ever queried with me.

Reactions: sxw517

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    So I didn’t get a single Vac Scheme again.

After a dozen applications, dozens of tests, multiple interviews, multiple ACs, not 1 Vac scheme offer.

I have:
    • a first class degree from a Russell group university
    • A distinction at the GDL
    • an LSE Corporate Law diploma

• Over 4 legal work experiences including being a paralegal for over a year in a London city firm.
    • Over 6 other work experiences non law related

• I speak multiple languages
    • And was a music and sports scholar at school
    • I have also worked for multiple charities

And after all this, I still don’t have a Vac scheme offer.

Someone prevent me from just giving everything up after all that effort.

What is it I can do? After all this I’m still not good enough ?
    The frustration and exhaustion you're feeling are completely valid. It's incredibly disheartening..

Your message hits incredibly close to home for me. Just now I received a rejection email from Mishcon after an assessment centre, and that concludes my cycle - I have not secured a single vac scheme. I cannot help but feel a mix of anger and exhaustion. Like you, I've put in a huge amount of effort and dedication: I achieved a first-class law degree and distinction in my LPC, which I self-funded. I even took electives such as private acquisitions to enhance my commercial knowledge and improve my performance in case studies (as some here suggested) because I was struggling with those.

After the case study at Mishcon I had high hopes as the associate even complimented me on identifying all the issues accurately and doing a great job!! It leaves me wondering, what more do they want? This process was for just a week-long work experience and I prepared so so much, giving it my all. I'm at a point where the thought of dropping out and never applying again feels tempting because I can't stand the constant cycle of hope and disappointment any longer. So I completely get you. There's a part of me that wishes someone had warned me about the uselessness of all the effort I poured into my law degree.

Despite the pain and frustration, I want to say to both of us: if this is truly our dream, we shouldn't give up on it. The road to achieving our goals is often much tougher than we anticipate, and sometimes, it feels outright impossible. Yet, the value of our experiences, our degrees, and the effort we've put in doesn't vanish in the face of rejection. It's incredibly tough, I know, but each setback is a stepping stone towards our goal, even when it doesn't feel that way.

Your qualifications and experiences are amazing and demonstrate your dedication and capability. I'm genuinely sorry you're going through this, as I am too. Let's try to hold on to our dreams a little longer, and hopefully, our perseverance will pay off in the end.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What if the current role is in another country?
    Will that make things like conflict check slightly better?
    Not necessarily - it can depend on what information you have access to rather than just what you are working on/do access.

You have to be confident there are going to be no issues of you having potential access to any information that could give either party (your employer or your vac scheme firm) an advantage over the other.

Reactions: ErickLawson2020

SS21

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    They are going to tell you to disclose it to your employer. Could the vac scheme firm offer you a direct TC process instead?
    Hi Jessica - just wondering if asking to be considered for a direct TC is viable if the firm only recruits through vac schemes?

I’m an in-house paralegal and have changed jobs to a place where I know they won’t be as understanding as my previous employer who allowed me to attend a VS.

I’m trying to work out if firms that only recruit through VS are completely off the table for me now.

Not sure if at all relevant but my new employer happens to be a major client of one of those firms.

Reactions: axelbeugre

leaaa2023

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 27, 2023
    any advice Mayer-Brown's Situational Strengths Test and a Verbal Reasoning Test and Shoosmiths strengths-based assessment?
    How do you prepare to pass? Is there a specific thing you should know before these tests? Any advice is really appreciated, I don't really know what the firms want to see when taking these tests.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre I'm in my 2nd year of uni - If I haven't gotten a vac scheme this cycle, how do you recommend I proceed? Should I apply for vac schemes in my 3rd year or focus on direct TC applications now?
    I personally would go for vacation schemes still and reserve my time for direct training contract in May-June of next year after the vacation scheme application cycle as a last resort attempt. That is the approach I took last year and even though I secured a couple of vacation scheme offers, I still applied to the direct training contract route in May as a safety net in case I did not convert my vacation schemes.

Things to work on now that you have time and are thinking of preparing early would be:
    • A spreadsheet of firms you want to apply to, potential deadlines, and any relevant info for each firm such as number of trainees they take, key practice areas etc.
    • Find examples of application questions the firms you are interested in have asked in this application cycle (you might know this if you are re-applying to certain firms).
    • Speak to future trainees, trainees, associates and if you can partners from firms you are interested in and hear their storied and journeys into the profession and how those might inspire you to mention different or particular reasons why you want to join the firm in the 'why this firm' section of the application.
    • Go to some insight days, or open days to understand how the application process may differ in the new cycle and hear tips on how to tackle the answers from graduate recruitment (I was able to do go to many insight days thanks to Rare Recruitment, SEO London or Aspiring Solicitors).
    • Apply early to firms that recruit on a rolling basis. If you start preparing for those firms in the summer/in advance of the start of the cycle, you will be more equipped to submit your application early to a very good standard.
    • Use TCLA's resources to make sure you increase your applications' strengths and your answers' quality as well as level up your understanding of the commercial world.
    I will also suggest to read some tips on how to deal with rejections and how to prepare for assessment centres that I have shared some time ago which I think might be helpful to you too: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ons-discussion-thread-2023-4.8038/post-170058

I hope this is useful and good luck with your journey!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hii @Jessica Booker Wanted to ask what the difference is between - "Why do you think we should consider employing you?” and “What experiences (if any) have you encountered to date that you feel may be brought with you to the firm and from which we may benefit?” and how to go about both?
    The two questions are very similar indeed, I totally appreciate the confusion here. I think for me the main difference that I notice is that the first question seems to suggest that you should talk more about your skills and qualities, both professional and personal, and link them back to the firm. For example, you could elaborate on the fact that you really enjoy helping others and you have volunteered for X amount of time at X charity. You are planning to do the same at the firm, developing your skills as a lawyer, through their pro bono opportunities such as X (you do your research here as you want to show you know a lot about the firm too). This is the kind of approach I would take here.

For the second question, I would consider it as a 'why me' question, drawing more from your experiences, mainly the corporate/professional ones. This basically requires you to illustrate the experiences, both academic, extracurricular or professional up to date, that you feel will make you an outstanding candidate compared to your peers. Additionally, you should elaborate on the skills you have developed through those, which will make you a successful future trainee lawyer. For example, if you decide to talk about being president of a university society, what kind of skills you have developed from that? Maybe time management and leadership skills, communication and team-work perhaps too? How are those going to make you a successful trainee? You should elaborate on those.

I guess there are different ways you could go about them but this is the approach I would personally take. I hope this is useful and good luck with the application!

Reactions: ErickLawson2020

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.