General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenna

Distinguished Member
Dec 18, 2019
I recently completed the WBD pymetric tests. On reviewing my results, I noticed discrepancies between the app based results and those in the PDF. The support team confirmed the web version is correct.

Would that mean the PDF is correct?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Although I don't have to worry about application rejections and PFOs, I'd
I recently completed the WBD pymetric tests. On reviewing my results, I noticed discrepancies between the app based results and those in the PDF. The support team confirmed the web version is correct.

Would that mean the PDF is correct?

What are the discrepancies?

The PDF could still be correct

Jenna

Distinguished Member
Dec 18, 2019
Although I don't have to worry about application rejections and PFOs, I'd

What are the discrepancies?

The PDF could still be correct

Two of the categories have different results i.e. one said I would be suited to environments where speed was most important factor and the other said I prefer accuracy over speed.

Was just unsure which one would be classed as the web version.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Two of the categories have different results i.e. one said I would be suited to environments where speed was most important factor and the other said I prefer accuracy over speed.

Was just unsure which one would be classed as the web version.

Ask the test provider to confirm and also confirm this is what the firm has received.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
Ask the test provider to confirm and also confirm this is what the firm has received.
Hello Jessica,

I just wanted to ask if it was possible to strengthen an application that is weaker because of low grades. Provided the application has some form of commercial legal work experience. Eg paralegal. Is it possible to actually overcome the grades barrier issue to top law firms?

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
Hello Jessica,

I just wanted to ask if it was possible to strengthen an application that is weaker because of low grades. Provided the application has some form of commercial legal work experience. Eg paralegal. Is it possible to actually overcome the grades barrier issue to top law firms?

How low is low? Firm's that require a 2:1, require a 2:1 (save for where they say they will consider applications arising out of mitigating circumstances.

If "low" is a 60. You are still fine. All work experience will help to strengthen your application.

If it's a 2:2, you are going to need to review each law firm individually.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
Jun 12, 2019
How low is low? Firm's that require a 2:1, require a 2:1 (save for where they say they will consider applications arising out of mitigating circumstances.

If "low" is a 60. You are still fine. All work experience will help to strengthen your application.

If it's a 2:2, you are going to need to review each law firm individually.
Thank you for your response. By low I mean overall low 2:1 but just half of degree grades are 2:2s and maybe 1 as a 3rd. Half are firsts and high 2:1s.

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Thank you for your response. By low I mean overall low 2:1 but just half of degree grades are 2:2s and maybe 1 as a 3rd. Half are firsts and high 2:1s.

If you meet the firms minimum requirements you’re fine (that’s usually a 2:1).

Yes, you might be going up against those with firsts etc but at that point each application is assessed on an individual basis. A person with straight firsts might have zero EC’s and a terrible application and therefore not make it through, whereas someone with a low 2:1 might have a lot of experience/EC’s and a good application and make it through.

Overall, if you can strengthen your application - do it! Once you have that 2:1 the dealbreaker isn’t so much what grades you have but if your application stands out

Reactions: Demna87 and M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I want to be honest and don't necessarily agree with what has been posted above. An application with a significant amount of 2.2s and a couple of thirds will be difficult to overcome for a lot of firms. They may say a 2.1 but with pretty much all applicants getting a 2.1, you need to ensure your application is strong. However, this depends on the firm you are applying to and also the relative strength of your application elsewhere.

However, this is different if there are mitigating circumstances.

You can improve your application by ensuring academic success elsewhere - showing strong grades with a masters course/GDL or LPC may mitigate initial concerns about your academics.

However, my advice is to network with firms more. 1) this will help you find out realistically whether you have a chance with them and 2) may help if you make a favourable impression as they may look beyond the grades

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: TM and Pallatablelawyer

SaulGoodman

Jul 12, 2019
    Has anyone done the Mishcon de Reya VI recently? Just interested to know the average turnaround time for them getting back to you afterwards...

I did it on Thursday last week so I'll let you know when I hear something. When did you do yours?

I had a friend that made it through to the next stage and they heard back after two weeks in December. I also saw somebody post that they heard they had made it through a few hours after submitting it last week.

Reactions: Camilla

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I want to be honest and don't necessarily agree with what has been posted above. An application with a significant amount of 2.2s and a couple of thirds will be difficult to overcome for a lot of firms. They may say a 2.1 but with pretty much all applicants getting a 2.1, you need to ensure your application is strong. However, this depends on the firm you are applying to and also the relative strength of your application elsewhere.

However, this is different if there are mitigating circumstances.

You can improve your application by ensuring academic success elsewhere - showing strong grades with a masters course/GDL or LPC may mitigate initial concerns about your academics.

However, my advice is to network with firms more. 1) this will help you find out realistically whether you have a chance with them and 2) may help if you make a favourable impression as they may look beyond the grades
    Thank you Jessica! Would you say when you say for a lot of firms this would include smaller city firms & National firms?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello Jessica,

The issue is paralegal work is not necessarily showing the same skills as academia. If you are hoping to showcase paralegal work as your capability, then it needs to focus on more analytical or higher level work.

Getting strong grades in your masters may help off-set any concerns. Doing well in the LPC/SQE may also help (if you get to that stage).

You have to also ensure the rest of your application is absolutely spot on. Grammar mistakes, typos etc are not going to convince people you have got the academic ability and will only cause more doubts. So make sure every application is written exceptionally well.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Holly

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica! Would you say when you say for a lot of firms this would include smaller city firms & National firms?

no - I don’t think you can brand firms and how they see applications in that manner. They will all have different views on what is important to them - that’s why networking is vital in your situation.

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

Camilla

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • May 16, 2019
    I did it on Thursday last week so I'll let you know when I hear something. When did you do yours?

I had a friend that made it through to the next stage and they heard back after two weeks in December. I also saw somebody post that they heard they had made it through a few hours after submitting it last week.

Thanks - I also did mine Thursday but I heard that someone else did theirs on Thursday and has already heard back with an invite.

Will try and stay positive.

Reactions: SaulGoodman
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.