General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

H

Jan 26, 2020
I still can’t believe that I’m typing this, but I’m so happy to have accepted a training contract at an international firm that feels so right for me! Admittedly, I don’t post much on here, though I do check the forum frequently so I want to share my story with you.

I graduated from a non-law background last summer and this was my first cycle of applications. This time last year I knew NOTHING about law. I started taking more of an interest in it as a career around October 2019. I travelled from my home town to my university to attend the law fair for the first time on my own (I had no clue what I was doing, it’s so embarrassing to think about!). I sent off a few applications for insight days - I was rejected by all of them but one. At the beginning of November, I sent off my first vac scheme application, which of course flopped because I was still getting to grips with how this industry works and what lawyers even do! Eventually I somehow managed to secure four vac scheme interviews, was successful in one of them, and was then recently offered a TC by the firm.

Whilst I worked incredibly hard to get here - spending time self-reflecting on my skills and increasing my commercial awareness, it wouldn’t have been possible at all without this community. You guys have made me feel so much less alone in this process, and the support you provide to others is invaluable. I’m heavily indebted to TCLA. @Jaysen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating this platform, and thank you to all the amazing people who contribute and make it what it is. Without you guys I wouldn’t be here. I wish you all the best; I know you will all eventually get the dream jobs you’re working towards and truly deserve xx

Last edited:

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
I still can’t believe that I’m typing this, but I’m so happy to have accepted a training contract at an international firm that feels so right for me! Admittedly, I don’t post much on here, though I do check the forum frequently so I want to share my story with you.

I graduated from a non-law background last summer and this was my first cycle of applications. This time last year I knew NOTHING about law. I started taking more of an interest in it as a career around October 2019. I travelled from my home town to my university to attend the law fair for the first time on my own (I had no clue what I was doing, it’s so embarrassing to think about!). I sent off a few applications for insight days - I was rejected by all of them but one. At the beginning of November, I sent off my first vac scheme application, which of course flopped because I was still getting to grips with how this industry works and what lawyers even do! Eventually I somehow managed to secure four vac scheme interviews, was successful in one of them, and was then recently offered a TC by the firm.

Whilst I worked incredibly hard to get here - spending time self-reflecting on my skills and increasing my commercial awareness, it wouldn’t have been possible at all without this community. You guys have made me feel so much less alone in this process, and the support you provide to others is invaluable. I’m heavily indebted to TCLA. @Jaysen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating this platform, and thank you to all the amazing people who contribute and make it what it is. Without you guys I wouldn’t be here. I wish you all the best; I know you will all eventually get the dream jobs you’re working towards and truly deserve xx
Congrats! What would you say clinched it for you in the end?

• 🤝
Reactions: H

Law_Grad1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2018
Anyone heard from Orrick?

Hi! They sent an e-mail back in June I think. I don't think they're reviewing applications until the start of 2021 (or at least not responding to them until then!) as they said they wanted to make sure that they'd be in a position to do 'in-person' assessments. Guess we just have to sit tight on that one!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m heavily indebted to TCLA. @Jaysen, thank you from the bottom of my heart for creating this platform, and thank you to all the amazing people who contribute and make it what it is. Without you guys I wouldn’t be here. I wish you all the best; I know you will all eventually get the dream jobs you’re working towards and truly deserve xx

Congratulations!

it it so great to hear stories like this.

• 🤝
Reactions: H and Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018

Huge congratulations!!! :D

• 🤝

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

This has made my day! So happy for you, well done :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: H and Jessica Booker

Velikilawyer123

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 37
    Mar 4, 2020
    Was wondering if anyone has heard back from Morgan Lewis post-telephone interview? Thanks :)
    Hey! I haven’t but after my interview Grad Rec said end of this week / beginning of the next - so we might just have to wait! Hope your interview went well :)
    Yeah that sounds about right, I was told the next stage would then be in early August.

How did you find your phone interview btw?

I thought it was quite relaxed, just a few questions about why the firm, my experiences, etc. One tough one on when I showed leadership though.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips on how to answer situational questions regarding ethics?

E.g. you are on a train and the person opposite you is reading confidential information about your case, which you can also read.

Is there a general rule of thumb when approaching such ethical scenarios?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips on how to answer situational questions regarding ethics?

E.g. you are on a train and the person opposite you is reading confidential information about your case, which you can also read.

Is there a general rule of thumb when approaching such ethical scenarios?

Thanks!

Ethics is always about doing the right thing.

I would suggest that it’s that you stop the situation from happening (eg removing yourself from the situation and/or telling the person to stop reading) and any form of disclosure to relevant parties on information that you have seen, depending on the specific wording of the question and the answers you are presented with.

Holly

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Nov 23, 2019
    Ethics is always about doing the right thing.

I would suggest that it’s that you stop the situation from happening (eg removing yourself from the situation and/or telling the person to stop reading) and any form of disclosure to relevant parties on information that you have seen, depending on the specific wording of the question and the answers you are presented with.

That's really helpful, thank you :)

Parent

Feb 16, 2020
    To encourage others. My child has been applying since 2nd year at Uni. Graduated last year (1st Non Law)
    Secured 2 VSs with good firms.
    Did not convert either but thought the 2nd one was a dead certainty.
    Second one was before Christmas requiring 2 weeks out of GDL.
    Cried for 4 weeks (over Christmas)
    Wanted to give up
    Picked themselves up
    Started applying again alongside GDL
    Secured a direct TC with an MC firm in March

BUT still continuing to get mixed responses in applications still in progress eg rejected by Macfarlanes on application.

I’m posting this to try and encourage you guys still going through it. Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.

This is my favourite quote
    “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.

It matters that you don't just give up.”

Stephen Hawking. 1942-2018

Last edited:

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Huge congratulations to you and what a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing your journey :)

• 🤝

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    To encourage others. My child has been applying since 2nd year at Uni. Graduated last year (1st Non Law)
    Secured 2 VSs with good firms.
    Did not convert either but thought the 2nd one was a dead certainty.
    Second one was before Christmas requiring 2 weeks out of GDL.
    Cried for 4 weeks (over Christmas)
    Wanted to give up
    Picked themselves up
    Started applying again alongside GDL
    Secured a direct TC with an MC firm in March

BUT still continuing to get mixed responses in applications still in progress eg rejected by Macfarlanes on application.

I’m posting this to try and encourage you guys still going through it. Quite a bit seems to be luck, as Jesica posted, maybe the sifter was hungry when they looked at your application.

This is my favourite quote
    “Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.

It matters that you don't just give up.”

Stephen Hawking. 1942-2018
    Such a great quote!! A lovely and uplifting message to read on a Saturday afternoon- thank you ☺️

Reactions: Parent
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.