2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
Truly gutted after BCLP rejection for summer VS. Was told my application had many grammatical errors when I had submitted it through Grammarly a billion times, sent it out to friends and family to double check to spot any errors, read it over and over agin till I memorised every word, full stop, comma and colon. This was the firm which invited me to an open day in year 12 and behaved as a catalyst to me pursuing a career in commercial law.

However, after an hour of sobbing I have managed to pull myself together and once again pray for better news. I hope that anyone who reads this message does receive good news and positive vibes.....

Really sorry to hear! How did you manage to get feedback on your written app?

lawyermeup

Distinguished Member
Future Trainee
Sep 20, 2020
Thank you! I got the invite at 6.30pm tonight - applied near the deadline.
There are some good write ups on this forum that I used for my WVS interview! The AC consists of a test, an HR interview and a Partner/Managing Associate Interview. The test is nothing you can prepare for... it's like a reading comprehension, and a quick SJT. The HR interview is focusing on motivations but mainly competencies. I loved my HR interview and got really friendly with my interviewer, remember to stick to STAR but also I'd really recommend being honest rather than saying things you expect they'd want to hear!

The Partner interview is based off a case study. I thought you got quite a lot of time to do the case study, but it's reviewing a Sale & Purchase Agreement and finding any issues in it. I would really recommend looking at Warranties/Indemnities. 15mins before your partner interview, you get a 'crisis' email which you discuss. For the Partner interview, don't stress! I literally wrote something that was factually incorrect, the Partner flagged it up, and we talked through it and it was completely fine. The most important aspect of it is to show your thought process and that you are a logical thinker. They really want you to succeed!!! Also biggest advice is just be yourself and like don't answer questions how you think they want you to if that makes sense? they want your personality to shine through. Best of luck and let me know how it goes!!!

KB2020

Future Trainee
Aug 4, 2020
There are some good write ups on this forum that I used for my WVS interview! The AC consists of a test, an HR interview and a Partner/Managing Associate Interview. The test is nothing you can prepare for... it's like a reading comprehension, and a quick SJT. The HR interview is focusing on motivations but mainly competencies. I loved my HR interview and got really friendly with my interviewer, remember to stick to STAR but also I'd really recommend being honest rather than saying things you expect they'd want to hear!

The Partner interview is based off a case study. I thought you got quite a lot of time to do the case study, but it's reviewing a Sale & Purchase Agreement and finding any issues in it. I would really recommend looking at Warranties/Indemnities. 15mins before your partner interview, you get a 'crisis' email which you discuss. For the Partner interview, don't stress! I literally wrote something that was factually incorrect, the Partner flagged it up, and we talked through it and it was completely fine. The most important aspect of it is to show your thought process and that you are a logical thinker. They really want you to succeed!!! Also biggest advice is just be yourself and like don't answer questions how you think they want you to if that makes sense? they want your personality to shine through. Best of luck and let me know how it goes!!!
Thank you so much! That's really helpful.

castrooo

Legendary Member
Sep 17, 2020
To those that have already done the Dentons telephone interview, did grad rec ring the phone number you provided in the application form? I booked my slot in December and have my interview tomorrow morning but never received a confirmation email re any joining instructions. :oops:

Reactions: OH

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Invite to assessment centre at Macfarlanes!! :D Yay!!!

I applied on 9 November 2020.

Congratulations Ricky! I also just got invited to an AC at Macfarlanes. If anyone has any advice on preparing for the Macfarlanes AC I would really appreciate it if you could send me a message.

Congrats to you guys!! So did I! if anyone has any advice I would also really appreciate it!
    I did a thread/post on the Macfarlanes AC a year or two ago which hopefully you'll be able to find? No idea if the AC has changed since then but it may be helpful to you guys :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: kls and Ricky

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Truly gutted after BCLP rejection for summer VS. Was told my application had many grammatical errors when I had submitted it through Grammarly a billion times, sent it out to friends and family to double check to spot any errors, read it over and over agin till I memorised every word, full stop, comma and colon. This was the firm which invited me to an open day in year 12 and behaved as a catalyst to me pursuing a career in commercial law.

However, after an hour of sobbing I have managed to pull myself together and once again pray for better news. I hope that anyone who reads this message does receive good news and positive vibes.....
    I'm not sure if this is the case and you may have had a different experience but when I got rejected from BCLP a couple of years ago, they sent me the same feedback which I then realised was the same feedback that they sent to everyone - was like a generic note. No idea if that's the case for you but if it is hopefully that should ease the pain a bit as it sounds like you did a really great job proofing your app which should bode very well for your apps going forward so try and keep your head up if you can :)

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018

BCLP sends out like 2 or 3 different generic feedback emails. Was this feedback given to you after asking or automatically?

Reactions: Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.