Herbert Smith Freehills App

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Does HSF have a list of skills/attributes they look in trainees somewhere? Can't find it on the website
    To add what Adam has had, when I was applying last year I collated a list of things that they look for, so thought I'd share! I think I took it from different articles/videos/interviews online.

Unique combination of skills & potential
    • Confidence
    • Ability to work in a team and collaborate with others
    • Able to get things done & overcome issues that may arise in the course of a project
    • Drive
    • International mind-set
    • Perceptiveness
    • Empathy
    • Diligence
    • MOTIVATION
      • Focus on HSF - they value its values and background
      • The most important thing in the app is motivation – why you want to work for HSF and everything in your app must support this; avoid generic applications!

To be a successful solicitor you need
    • Strong technical expertise
    • Understanding of the client’s commercial context
    • Stamina to keep going during busy periods
    • Emotional intelligence to build relationships with clients and colleagues
    • Confidence in your abilities

Hope it helps :)

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi! I'm currently going through HSF's Practice Test and I'm struggling quite a bit on the situational judgement portion. In particular, I'm quite confused by this question:

Scenario: Since you arrived at work today, you have been very busy working on your current project, which had a deadline of 2pm. Now you have completed this task, you check your e-mails and notice that earlier in the day an Associate had e-mailed all the trainees in the group to ask for help. You do not see any replies to the e-mail, but then you may not have been copied in on them. You still have a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week.

Most Effective: Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability.
    Least Effective: Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate.

I do understand that the Most Effective solution would be to speak to the associate it would be rude not to reply to the email at all/not give an answer. However, why is the least effective answer asking the colleagues if they've completed the task? I would think this would be a good way to figure out if I should offer my help during my reply email. Or are situational judgements singular- in the sense that that would be all that I would do and not proceed with any other action?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I'm currently going through HSF's Practice Test and I'm struggling quite a bit on the situational judgement portion. In particular, I'm quite confused by this question:

Scenario: Since you arrived at work today, you have been very busy working on your current project, which had a deadline of 2pm. Now you have completed this task, you check your e-mails and notice that earlier in the day an Associate had e-mailed all the trainees in the group to ask for help. You do not see any replies to the e-mail, but then you may not have been copied in on them. You still have a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week.

Most Effective: Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability.
    Least Effective: Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate.

I do understand that the Most Effective solution would be to speak to the associate it would be rude not to reply to the email at all/not give an answer. However, why is the least effective answer asking the colleagues if they've completed the task? I would think this would be a good way to figure out if I should offer my help during my reply email. Or are situational judgements singular- in the sense that that would be all that I would do and not proceed with any other action?

Thank you!

You need to take the word "most" and "least" as literal - all the answers will be appropriate ways of dealing with the task, it is just one will be deemed the least effective. It isn't saying it is an ineffective way of dealing with this, it is just not as effective as the other methods.

To me why the above is "least" effective
    • You have to speak to multiple people rather than one, therefore wasting your time and other people's
    • The other people may not know the status of the task, as like you, they may not have been copied into any response emails
    • You are not speaking to the person who is responsible for the project, just others who have only worked on part of it. The person who will deem it complete is the associate who is asking for help, not necessarily the person who volunteers
    • You are assuming help would be from one person - it may be from multiple people, therefore making all of the above even murkier
    • It seems a bit unlikely any task would be completed in a few hours based on the associate only asking for volunteers earlier in the day - the associate may have allocated tasks, but its unlikely they will be complete
    • You are assuming a reply-all email is the most appropriate way to get a quick answer - what if your colleagues don't read the email because they are busy. Take the word "speak" as the most effective answer as literal.
    You just have to focus on the decision making on the information presented to you. Try not to get caught up in the external variables that could be in place that are not listed in the statement. Just make a decision based on the information you are presented with.

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: MariSierra and (deleted member)

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 11, 2020

Thank you!

I had the exact same exact instincts as you and I've been trying to think through the logic of what makes something more or less effective.

From the instructions we know that our responses to the SJT should be "based only on the information provided" and that we "should not assume any prior knowledge of the scenarios described." Finally, it is mentioned that "scenarios are unrelated to each other," and therefore we "should not use the information in one scenario to respond to another."

What my takeaway is from the instructions is that I should think about the effect each answer has and not make assumptions about what you would do beyond what is written. For example, as a trainee my first course of action would be to ask my colleagues to see if they have helped the associate because with that information I would THEN proceed to help out (if I'm still needed) or offer to help later (if the work has been completed). In the STJ, I don't think you are able to make such assumptions.

I recommend analysing the effects of each answer and thinking of what makes them different:

(1) "Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability."

This response shows that you are proactive at communicating with the associate, that you are mindful and realistic about your workflow and can independently judge how much availability you have, and most importantly, offer to help the associate (even though this is at a later time).

(2) "Speak to the Associate to get a better understanding of how long the task would take, then consult with your supervisor."

In comparison to the first response, although you communicate with the Associate, you do not make an offer to help them out. You also show that you need to consult with your supervisor to figure out your workload, whereas in the first response you made a judgement of your availability. So between these first two responses, the first one is stronger.

(3) "Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate."

In this response, you do not communicate with the Associate. This by itself is not disqualifying (I think), because you do talk to others and as HSF's quiz shows "colleagues are [often] pressed for time" so it might be better not to bother the Associate in the event you can't help immediately or promise to help later. However, notice how you do not offer to help the Associate. From a "doing things" perspective, you are not contributing or promising anything here because we are not allowed to assume what you do after getting an answer from colleagues. Looking at responses 1-3, this is the weakest one.

(4) "It is likely another colleague has replied, so make a note to check in with the Associate later in the week after you have finished a few more of your tasks."

In this response, you don't immediately speak to the Associate just like in the third response, however, unlike in that one, you do make a note to check in with the Associate and do, similarly to the first response, show awareness of having "a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week."

What confused me about this response is the "it is likely another colleague has replied" part. While taking the practice test, I made my own assumptions, thinking, what if colleagues didn't reply?! This train of thinking was influenced by seeing response 3. However, I think you are meant to evaluate statements independently of each other and consider them as true.

Ultimately, I think it is the act of checking in later after finishing your important tasks is what makes this a stronger response over the third. Therefore, the third is the "least effective" response. And since we didn't identify anything stronger than the first response, that remains our "most effective."

Last edited:
    • ℹ️
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone and Lawbour
    D

Deleted member 2707

I had the exact same exact instincts as you and I've been trying to think through the logic of what makes something more or less effective.

From the instructions we know that our responses to the SJT should be "based only on the information provided" and that we "should not assume any prior knowledge of the scenarios described." Finally, it is mentioned that "scenarios are unrelated to each other," and therefore we "should not use the information in one scenario to respond to another."

What my takeaway is from the instructions is that I should think about the effect each answer has and not make assumptions about what you would do beyond what is written. For example, as a trainee my first course of action would be to ask my colleagues to see if they have helped the associate because with that information I would THEN proceed to help out (if I'm still needed) or offer to help later (if the work has been completed). In the STJ, I don't think you are able to make such assumptions.

I recommend analysing the effects of each answer and thinking of what makes them different:

(1) "Speak to the Associate and explain that you are very busy this week. However, offer to help them next week when you have more availability."

This response shows that you are proactive at communicating with the associate, that you are mindful and realistic about your workflow and can independently judge how much availability you have, and most importantly, offer to help the associate (even though this is at a later time).

(2) "Speak to the Associate to get a better understanding of how long the task would take, then consult with your supervisor."

In comparison to the first response, although you communicate with the Associate, you do not make an offer to help them out. You also show that you need to consult with your supervisor to figure out your workload, whereas in the first response you made a judgement of your availability. So between these first two responses, the first one is stronger.

(3) "Ask some of your colleagues who were on the original request and see whether they have already helped the Associate."

In this response, you do not communicate with the Associate. This by itself is not disqualifying (I think), because you do talk to others and as HSF's quiz shows "colleagues are [often] pressed for time" so it might be better not to bother the Associate in the event you can't help immediately or promise to help later. However, notice how you do not offer to help the Associate. From a "doing things" perspective, you are not contributing or promising anything here because we are not allowed to assume what you do after getting an answer from colleagues. Looking at responses 1-3, this is the weakest one.

(4) "It is likely another colleague has replied, so make a note to check in with the Associate later in the week after you have finished a few more of your tasks."

In this response, you don't immediately speak to the Associate just like in the third response, however, unlike in that one, you do make a note to check in with the Associate and do, similarly to the first response, show awareness of having "a number of important tasks to complete by the end of the week."

What confused me about this response is the "it is likely another colleague has replied" part. While taking the practice test, I made my own assumptions, thinking, what if colleagues didn't reply?! This train of thinking was influenced by seeing response 3. However, I think you are meant to evaluate statements independently of each other and consider them as true.

Ultimately, I think it is the act of checking in later after finishing your important tasks is what makes this a stronger response over the third. Therefore, the third is the "least effective" response. And since we didn't identify anything stronger than the first response, that remains our "most effective."

Thank you so much- this was so informative and helpful! Fingers crossed that I'm able to analyse the situations to this degree during the test!

D

Deleted member 2707

You need to take the word "most" and "least" as literal - all the answers will be appropriate ways of dealing with the task, it is just one will be deemed the least effective. It isn't saying it is an ineffective way of dealing with this, it is just not as effective as the other methods.

To me why the above is "least" effective
    • You have to speak to multiple people rather than one, therefore wasting your time and other people's
    • The other people may not know the status of the task, as like you, they may not have been copied into any response emails
    • You are not speaking to the person who is responsible for the project, just others who have only worked on part of it. The person who will deem it complete is the associate who is asking for help, not necessarily the person who volunteers
    • You are assuming help would be from one person - it may be from multiple people, therefore making all of the above even murkier
    • It seems a bit unlikely any task would be completed in a few hours based on the associate only asking for volunteers earlier in the day - the associate may have allocated tasks, but its unlikely they will be complete
    • You are assuming a reply-all email is the most appropriate way to get a quick answer - what if your colleagues don't read the email because they are busy. Take the word "speak" as the most effective answer as literal.
    You just have to focus on the decision making on the information presented to you. Try not to get caught up in the external variables that could be in place that are not listed in the statement. Just make a decision based on the information you are presented with.

Thank you Jessica! Helpful and informative as always :)

CSM

Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 23, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I completed the online blended assessment last Friday and have just received an email stating I have not completed it and have 48 hours to do so (with a new link to do this). I definitely completed all three sections and even filled out a little feedback questionnaire afterwards. I will admit I do not have a confirmation email that I completed it.

For anyone who has completed the test, did you receive a confirmation email of this? Would you recommend taking it again or contacting grad recruitment?

Thanks!

NadineBusty

Valued Member
    Aug 21, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I completed the online blended assessment last Friday and have just received an email stating I have not completed it and have 48 hours to do so (with a new link to do this). I definitely completed all three sections and even filled out a little feedback questionnaire afterwards. I will admit I do not have a confirmation email that I completed it.

For anyone who has completed the test, did you receive a confirmation email of this? Would you recommend taking it again or contacting grad recruitment?

Thanks!

Immediatly after completing the test you should receive a feedback report with your strenghts. If you have not received this, I would get in touch with grad rec asap to clarify.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.