TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lincoln Lawyer_66

Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 25, 2022
    Hey everyone, hope you are all well!

I had a quick question about applications. I have a couple of TC apps under review at the moment. I completed the work experience section a couple of months ago, however since then I have started work as a paralegal and hence I did not include this in the work experience section on these applications.

Should I inform graduate recruitment of my employment or would this be unnecessary?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone, hope you are all well!

I had a quick question about applications. I have a couple of TC apps under review at the moment. I completed the work experience section a couple of months ago, however since then I have started work as a paralegal and hence I did not include this in the work experience section on these applications.

Should I inform graduate recruitment of my employment or would this be unnecessary?

Thanks
    It’s not necessary to update the firms in question. However, if you can log back into the application and update it, you could do that.

blaker12

Mar 26, 2023
    I am a career changer coming from a tax/accounting background at a Big4 firm. Would my tax experience fall within law-related work experience on an application form or would it be more appropriate to include it as non law related?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am a career changer coming from a tax/accounting background at a Big4 firm. Would my tax experience fall within law-related work experience on an application form or would it be more appropriate to include it as non law related?
    This most likely falls under non-legal work.

blaker12

Mar 26, 2023
    I thought that Weil reopen their direct TC route as and when it’s needed, last year it reopened in June
    I'm hoping they reopen as well. The website says they will open in June and close end of July fo 2024/25 start dates. Would they only be looking for those you have sat the SQE done to start in 2024 as the July deadline wouldn't give much time to start a prep course in Autumn.

Tcpls

Mar 27, 2023
    Hi guys, I have a TC offer from Freshfields for the 2026 Feb intake. Ideally I’d have liked an offer for the 2025 September intake - I have to move city for the PGDL and CCP and my friends are getting a flat in September, and I wanted to move in with them. Does anyone know how flexible they are with intake dates? Would I be able to ask to switch around, or will that annoy them? Don’t want to make a bad impression before I even accept the offer. I also have in interview with slaughters which I was planning on cancelling after the freshfields offer, but if they aren’t flexible with intake dates I might go for the slaughters tc anyway. Does anyone have any advice/experience? Thanks!

Reactions: Maham

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I always put my accounting experience down as non-law related.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys, I have a TC offer from Freshfields for the 2026 Feb intake. Ideally I’d have liked an offer for the 2025 September intake - I have to move city for the PGDL and CCP and my friends are getting a flat in September, and I wanted to move in with them. Does anyone know how flexible they are with intake dates? Would I be able to ask to switch around, or will that annoy them? Don’t want to make a bad impression before I even accept the offer. I also have in interview with slaughters which I was planning on cancelling after the freshfields offer, but if they aren’t flexible with intake dates I might go for the slaughters tc anyway. Does anyone have any advice/experience? Thanks!
    You can ask - it won’t be annoying, it’s a very common question they will get. They just might not be in a position to move you, and might only be able to offer a waiting list position to move you if the opportunity comes up later down the line.

Reactions: Tcpls

SuccessfulSolicitor

Distinguished Member
    Feb 24, 2023
    Hi! I’m a 2nd year law student and I was unsuccessful in my vacation Scheme applications this year but I made it to the final stage for W&C.

I want to ensure that I’m successful this winter for their vacation Scheme so I’m going to spend the next few months applying for direct TC’s so I can get really comfortable with interviews and written assessments.

However, even though I don’t think it would happen, if I somehow got offered a direct TC, how long do you have before you have to give them a response because I’d want ideally 3 months so I can hear back from W&C @Jessica Booker

Reactions: Cryingtiger

rohit301099

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 8, 2022
    Hello everyone! I was wondering if someone has had an S&M interview? If so how did you find it? I have an interview in a few days so just wondering if someone was willing to share some advice :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi! I’m a 2nd year law student and I was unsuccessful in my vacation Scheme applications this year but I made it to the final stage for W&C.

I want to ensure that I’m successful this winter for their vacation Scheme so I’m going to spend the next few months applying for direct TC’s so I can get really comfortable with interviews and written assessments.

However, even though I don’t think it would happen, if I somehow got offered a direct TC, how long do you have before you have to give them a response because I’d want ideally 3 months so I can hear back from W&C @Jessica Booker
    Most likely it would only be four weeks or until mid-September unfortunately.

Firms are unlikely to hold out on recruitment processes for other opportunities. They tend to only hold out offers if you have already secured the vacation scheme, and even then it is not unknown for firms to say you have to decide on whether to accept/renege one VS offer over their TC offer.

Ultimately you can choose to accept a TC offer and then renege it at a later date though - the only time that gets tricky is if you receive any financial support from the firm or have started the process of signing up to law courses (LPC/SQE etc). That is really a point of no return with accepting an offer.

You have to be mindful though that the VS law firm's offer may also state you cannot complete the scheme if you have accepted a TC offer elsewhere.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.