TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uniblique19

Mar 29, 2023
Hi everyone. I was just wondering generally how long law firms give you to accept a TC once the offer has been made. I'm a 2nd year and I have just got a TC offer from X firm. However I have got Summer VS at 2 other places, and I would really like to do those in order for me to make the most well-informed decision. Is it possible that a firm could allow me to wait until after those summer VS to make my decision or is that unrealistic?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi everyone. I was just wondering generally how long law firms give you to accept a TC once the offer has been made. I'm a 2nd year and I have just got a TC offer from X firm. However I have got Summer VS at 2 other places, and I would really like to do those in order for me to make the most well-informed decision. Is it possible that a firm could allow me to wait until after those summer VS to make my decision or is that unrealistic?
    You can ask them to give you an extension to decide, but they doesn't mean they will agree to it. You could also accept the offer and then renege on it later, although this becomes complicated if you have already accepted any financial help/been enrolled on an SQE course.

Reactions: Uniblique19

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Some firms will give you to mid September as a penultimate year undergraduate.

Other firms are likely to give you four weeks - this is generally considered best practice unless the training contract or signing up to law school process starts soon.

I’d wait to see what your offer is, what the terms are, and then if need be see if you can get an extension of the offer. Hundreds of candidates ask for extensions each year - it will be something graduate recruitment are very used to being asked about. The worst that can happen is they say no, and then you have to work out what you want to do.

Accepting and then reneging is often possible though unless you are financially tied to the firm/have started the law school onboarding process.

Uniblique19

Mar 29, 2023
    Some firms will give you to mid September as a penultimate year undergraduate.

Other firms are likely to give you four weeks - this is generally considered best practice unless the training contract or signing up to law school process starts soon.

I’d wait to see what your offer is, what the terms are, and then if need be see if you can get an extension of the offer. Hundreds of candidates ask for extensions each year - it will be something graduate recruitment are very used to being asked about. The worst that can happen is they say no, and then you have to work out what you want to do.

Accepting and then reneging is often possible though unless you are financially tied to the firm/have started the law school onboarding process.
    Thank you for the advice!!!!

• 🏆
    Reactions: SuccessfulSolicitor

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    I’m looking to submit some direct TC applications by July. I had gotten to AC stage on a couple of VS applications. But was wondering if there are any ways to improve the applications/attend events or find things to add by the TC deadline in July. I am currently a paralegal so will gain a few months more experience but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on other things I can do or work on until then? Thanks 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , I have a question for you. Hypothetically speaking, if someone were to lie to Firm X and tell them they had an offer with Firm Y when they didn’t, is Firm X likely to check with Firm Y, or have any other means of finding out? Thanks
    Firms won’t even bother checking unless they have your approval to do so as it’s pretty dodgy from a data protection perspective.

However, you are going into a profession where integrity is a fundamental requirement. Don’t do this.

I have known firms to ask for proof of offers though. By directly asking you to prove your offer they don’t even need to go to the other firm - they can just get the information from you.

born&raised

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 30, 2021
    Freshfields TC offer!!! ♥️ I really can't believe I'm writing this. Out of the 20+ applications I've made in the last two cycles, this was the only one that progressed this cycle, and this was my first and only AC. Everyone please remember that one yes is all you need! Ever grateful for all the help I got in this beautiful, incredibly supportive community!!! 🥺 If I can be of help to anyone, please let me know! 🥰

nkji500

• Jul 13, 2021
    Hi guys,

Left my Clifford Chance TC due to personal reasons and took some time away from law. Thinking of coming back into the industry and Wiggin and Harbottle are at the top of my list.

Does anyone know when Harbottle TC applications open? / Does anyone have experience with Wiggin?

Thanks!

nkji500

• Jul 13, 2021
    Freshfields TC offer!!! ♥️ I really can't believe I'm writing this. Out of the 20+ applications I've made in the last two cycles, this was the only one that progressed this cycle, and this was my first and only AC. Everyone please remember that one yes is all you need! Ever grateful for all the help I got in this beautiful, incredibly supportive community!!! 🥺 If I can be of help to anyone, please let me know! 🥰
    amazing! congrats!

• 🤝
    Reactions: born&raised
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.