TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Can anyone give any tips for the Bakers VI? there's honestly not much info online about the types of questions and it's really daunting... especially since they're one 3, so you have a chance of screwing up your VI by 30% with every question...

Also have never done a VI so any and all tips would amazing!

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    If I am writing a cover letter to be sent as an attachment to an email, is it necessary to include the firm's address and my address on the cover letter still or is it not required? Would save me a lot of space!

Fd321

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 3, 2023
    If I am writing a cover letter to be sent as an attachment to an email, is it necessary to include the firm's address and my address on the cover letter still or is it not required? Would save me a lot of space!
    My tip is include it, but just make your font size as small as it can without looking noticeably small (you can decrease the font size by .5s) and make your margins on a custom setting, play around with them until they look a pretty standard size but are narrower than usual. Hope this helps as I usually include the address even if sending over email as a formality :)

Reactions: M0M007

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Hi guys - has anyone been successful in securing an interview/AC/VS from Goodwin? I'm writing a direct app now and a few of the questions are quite new to me - please let me know if you have any advice!

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    My tip is include it, but just make your font size as small as it can without looking noticeably small (you can decrease the font size by .5s) and make your margins on a custom setting, play around with them until they look a pretty standard size but are narrower than usual. Hope this helps as I usually include the address even if sending over email as a formality :)
    thank you so much, this really helps :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hello, everyone. Just wanted your take on whether it's still worth applying to BCLP via the Direct TC route, especially since it's been open since September 2022 and is rolling (app deadline is May 31). Thanks in advance.

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Has anyone encountered people who attempted to change their careers from accounting to law, and succeeded in the end? @Jessica Booker Can you please share whether you have encountered candidates like that?

I have not secured a TC yet but because of family reasons, I have to settle down at an accounting firm now (Tax) and can only wait for the cycle to begin before I can start applying again. I am just afraid that my experiences at the firm doing tax will not be recognised by law firms, and it will be super difficult to transfer back to law...

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Has anyone encountered people who attempted to change their careers from accounting to law, and succeeded in the end? @Jessica Booker Can you please share whether you have encountered candidates like that?

I have not secured a TC yet but because of family reasons, I have to settle down at an accounting firm now (Tax) and can only wait for the cycle to begin before I can start applying again. I am just afraid that my experiences at the firm doing tax will not be recognised by law firms, and it will be super difficult to transfer back to law...
    Hi - I'm by no means an authority on anything but I thought I'd just add this to give some peace of mind: I've met MANY career changers at open days etc, some of whom came from fields that were completely unrelated to law (far more so than tax). I did a vac at a big U.S. firm and met one of the future Trainees, who was in his late 20s and had been apart of the Air Force, so I really think it should be ok!!

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Hello, everyone. Just wanted your take on whether it's still worth applying to BCLP via the Direct TC route, especially since it's been open since September 2022 and is rolling (app deadline is May 31). Thanks in advance.
    I have submitted on the deadline for multiple firms with a rolling deadline and made it through the app stage. Its def worth having a go

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Fuelled By Caffeine

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 3, 2020
    When answering questions for a video interview, what do people find to be the best strategy? Trying to cover a number of points or going into depth on a single point or example?

For instance, when answering a commercial awareness question (such as something on the challenges faced by law firms), is it better to cover several points with less depth or to answer with a single detailed point?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Yes, I have recruited many career changers in my time and still seem them regularly via TCLA and my professional network. That includes people who have worked in accountancy.

Your experience will be considered as work experience - just not legal work experience. The main challenge for career changers is explaining why you want to make the change and why you are willing to start a career from scratch (your previous career is unlikely to fast track your career progression as a lawyer, and you will be at the bottom of the work food chain).

Lawyerscup

May 21, 2022
    When answering questions for a video interview, what do people find to be the best strategy? Trying to cover a number of points or going into depth on a single point or example?

For instance, when answering a commercial awareness question (such as something on the challenges faced by law firms), is it better to cover several points with less depth or to answer with a single detailed point?
    I was wondering as well @Jessica Booker do you know by any chance? Thank you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.