TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is it good to discuss a firm been busy in lateral hires if they are growing in that area. For example, I was doing research for a US law firm and saw that they are growing in a specific area with recent lateral hires and their work in that practice area is growing. Is it good commercial awareness and good to discuss the firm's recent lateral hire by explaining they are growing in that area through recent lateral hires.

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    How long should a "why the firm" answer be? Is 3 and a half minutes/four minutes too long?
    For me, I think 4 minutes is probably a bit too long, it could stray towards just reciting info on the firm that they already know and don't want to hear. I keep mine shorter to make sure it is more focused on the precise and substantial aspects that draw me to this firm specifically and how it relates to me and my professional interests and goals.

LS_1998

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 12, 2022
    Just wanted to post here that, after three years of gruelling rejections, unsuccessful assessment centres and being really close to giving up, I have been offered a vac scheme for my dream firm Trowers & Hamlins 😍😍 thank you to everyone here for providing this community, I've seen it grow massively from that small forum in lockdown 🙏🏼❤

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Is it good to discuss a firm been busy in lateral hires if they are growing in that area. For example, I was doing research for a US law firm and saw that they are growing in a specific area with recent lateral hires and their work in that practice area is growing. Is it good commercial awareness and good to discuss the firm's recent lateral hire by explaining they are growing in that area through recent lateral hires.

Hey Asil - only if it makes sense in the application.

For example, it might make sense to include this in your justification for applying to a firm if you are discussing a particular practice area and it reflects how much the firm is growing that practice area.

Alternatively, it might be relevant for a commercial question.

That said, there's no need to try to show commercial awareness in this way unless the firm has asked a relevant question. Often this can come across as forced/being mentioned for the sake of it.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just wanted to post here that, after three years of gruelling rejections, unsuccessful assessment centres and being really close to giving up, I have been offered a vac scheme for my dream firm Trowers & Hamlins 😍😍 thank you to everyone here for providing this community, I've seen it grow massively from that small forum in lockdown 🙏🏼❤
    Amazing! This is lovely to read and inspirational for those who have been applying for several years - well done.

You can join our Junior Lawyers Community here :)

• Love
    Reactions: LS_1998
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.