Which Law firms do not recruit heavily from Vac Schemes?

yanerlim

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2018
As winter vacation scheme applications are coming to an end, I was wondering if anyone is thinking of applying straight for a TC? If so, information on whether firms recruit heavily from vacation schemes are important to understand the likelihood to be accepted for a TC.
Awhile ago, I was reading up on this and came across this list.
https://www.thelawyer.com/which-firms-take-most-and-fewest-trainees-from-vac-schemes/

Thought it would be helpful, if anyone has anything to add, please leave a comment below!

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Mischon De Reya and Herbert Smith solely through vac schemes.

Shame there isn't anything more up to date on the stats. I will have a look as this is a very interesting point

GGLove

Jun 20, 2018
From what I've heard and experienced:
- Freshfields recruits more than half of its intake direct from TC (source: grad rec at the London presentation + two people I know who accepted TCs with them last summer). Don't forget that its VS is only open to penultimate year students!
- Slaughter and May has 75 people on its full, 3-week vac schemes, but people are mostly assesssed on their final assessment day (with work experience feedback operating as a 'veto'). Hence, applying directly for the TC and doing an assessment day won't disadvantage you!
- Macfarlanes is similar - while they take the VS feedback into account, it's mostly about doing well in the final two days of the VS. About half of Macfarlanes' intake is from direct TC
- Clifford Chance's vac scheme is tiny (only 50 people afaik) and restricted to penultimate year students only. This probably means that they have to fill a lot of the remaining intake through direct TC apps.

Most other firms seem to be recruiting heavily from VS (with direct TC applicants 'filling the gaps')

One thing to note about the data in the OP is that it doesn't take the offer rate into account. Slaughters gives out TC offers to 60-70% of its vac schemers (of which there are either 75 or 100 p.a. depending on whether you count the Easter Vac Scheme as a 'proper' vac scheme). A lot of them turn it down because they have another Magic Circle TC or because they want to go to the Bar. Hence why only 30% of trainees did a VS at the firm.

Reactions: Jaysen

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Thought I’d revive this and ask a question.

Where firms allow, if you’ve been rejected, is it sensible to re apply for a direct TC??
Obviously after trying to revise the application and improve it.

How likely is the direct TC app to be successful? Anyone heard of it happen...

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I think in the event it is possible (many firms do not allow a second application in the same cycle) you would have to show some significant change in your work experience and therefore application to be considered. I am not sure of the chances of this happening ...

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
Thought I’d revive this and ask a question.

Where firms allow, if you’ve been rejected, is it sensible to re apply for a direct TC??
Obviously after trying to revise the application and improve it.

How likely is the direct TC app to be successful? Anyone heard of it happen...

Dont quote me on this but I remember coming across a thread on TCLA about a guy who had applied for Vac Scheme got rejected and then he submit the same application and he got a TC interview - so its pretty much possible. Many firms won't let you apply again if you had an interview with them for VC, so you should be okay to apply for TC.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Dont quote me on this but I remember coming across a thread on TCLA about a guy who had applied for Vac Scheme got rejected and then he submit the same application and he got a TC interview - so its pretty much possible. Many firms won't let you apply again if you had an interview with them for VC, so you should be okay to apply for TC.
In this case HSF clearly state on their website they only recruit from VS this cycle so it is not possible with them. And many firms I am afraid to say are scrupulous about not allowing another application in the same cycle.

Jai C.

Esteemed Member
May 15, 2018
In this case HSF clearly state on their website they only recruit from VS this cycle so it is not possible with them. And many firms I am afraid to say are scrupulous about not allowing another application in the same cycle.

I should have made it clear I was talking about NRF because I think in the other thread he (AJ) mentioned his NRF application status.

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Yes I agree it’s different firm to firm. And most make it clear on their website.

Just to clarify I meant on the basis post VS application only. Where the firms allows a second application within the same cycle for a TC. Is it worth reapplying ...

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    - Two MC first year 'vac schemes'
    - Two months working for an in house legal team
    - Various open days
    - An upcoming Easter vac scheme

OK good you have plenty for a direct TC application. Then it's just preference really. TC interviews tend to be tough, as I'm sure you know. I'd take a look at your strengths - some people are "better" at interviews and some people need more time to open up/sell themselves.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.