TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

plteo22

Standard Member
Nov 1, 2023
Hey all - Got an offer for Freshfields Graduate Workshop, but I don't think it will be feasible for me to attend on that day, given the rail strikes. Do you think FF will have any flexibility if I ask if I can attend the non-law workshop instead, which I should be able to attend? I did study a non-law degree but have now graduated and am under the impression the the non-law workshop is just for current students.
Would be gutted if it meant I had to turn down the offer as it would've been great experience

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Hey all - Got an offer for Freshfields Graduate Workshop, but I don't think it will be feasible for me to attend on that day, given the rail strikes. Do you think FF will have any flexibility if I ask if I can attend the non-law workshop instead, which I should be able to attend? I did study a non-law degree but have now graduated and am under the impression the the non-law workshop is just for current students.
Would be gutted if it meant I had to turn down the offer as it would've been great experience
The email says " Additionally, we are aware that there is a planned rail strike, and so if your travel is likely to be impacted please also let us know." So I don't think it would be inappropriate to ask.

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
im literally trying to switch too hahaha, but the other way around. I have asked them and will keep you updated

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There is absolutely no harm in asking them. They are likely aware of the issue anyway and either might be able to provide a solution, like moving to a different date.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How competitive is the Graduate Workshop? Think Freshfields has always been my top choice, so quite pleased to have been accepted and would this give me a strong chance of passing through to the WG with a good cover letter (I've previously made NRF, Travers Smith TI + AC with my cover letter form). Would appreciate your perspective @Jessica Booker
It’s a long time ago now, but there tended to be a good number of people recruited from the open days when I worked at the firm.

It was by no means a guarantee though - I saw enough open day attendees apply and unfortunately their application was not strong enough when translated to the personal statement format and when presented in a different way to the open day application.

The firm would generally look out for open day attendee’s applications though and hope to put them through, especially if they impressed at the open day itself, but there were no favours done - the individuals still had to meet the same benchmark as other candidates

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks so much, Jessica.

Of course, I would never just assume it's a guarantee and I will acknowledge that it's important to produce a strong cover letter. I'm sure the workshop will provide plenty of useful tips on how to tackle the application process.
I would stress that they wouldn’t have brought you through to the open day if they didn’t think there was a decent chance of you being successful in the recruitment process, and they probably feel that the open day will help you benefit from the learning which can then be applied to your next application.

Best of luck with the open day - I hope it goes well, and more importantly, that you enjoy it!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2023
DLA really do have the worst grad rec of all time. Over a week since I requested reasonable adjustments for the VI - and still nothing.

Meanwhile Hogan and CMS replied straight away. Literally every other firm has responded in the same day too.

• Wow
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    DLA really do have the worst grad rec of all time. Over a week since I requested reasonable adjustments for the VI - and still nothing.

Meanwhile Hogan and CMS replied straight away. Literally every other firm has responded in the same day too.
    Need to take into account grad rec are normal people and consider how many people they have in their grad rec team. Like some law firms only have 3 people on their team whereas others have 7-10 people.

Imagine how many emails they receive a day and also they might be going to events a lot like different university events on top of their open days.

My advice is to email them again or give them a call.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Give them a call - emails can easily be missed, especially if they are still out on campus a fair amount.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.