Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What's the etiquette on handshakes at assessment centres? Should we initiate handshakes with interviewers or assume not unless they do?
I would wait to see if the other person instigates it or not - it’s not really something that happens as much these days, especially post Covid and so you won’t be scrutinised if it’s something you don’t do.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know what a firm is looking for in questions about challenging experiences (i.e. describe a challenging experience and what you learned from it)?

Could this be mental health-related or does it have to be a 'substantial' challenge, as in something that happened at work or during studies?
It needs to be something that has been difficult/outside of your comfort zone but something you have learnt and grown from. It doesn’t need to come from work or your studies, it can come from life more generally.

Although some people do use health related matters to highlight challenges, you have to show the growth/learning from them. Sometimes it doesn’t work when it’s a personal matter like that as the circumstances just no longer exist (eg you get treated/recover), when you really need to show the development in yourself, not just the ability to deal with the challenge in the moment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
best Strengths to give as my personal strengths when asked in an interview mate? (don't say teamwork as they will ask that as a separate question)
Team work is quiet vague and something most people can claim and so that’s why it doesn’t necessarily hit well for this type of question.

But you need to pick your own strengths - try not to fit what you think they are going to want to hear. Using your self awareness identify the things that will really help you personally succeed at that firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks mate. Do I mention multiple or just one and develop that with an example?

I was gonna do public speaking for weakness. Would you say that is a good one to pick? Then waffle about how I am looking to improve
Depends how the question is framed. If they ask for one, focus on one. If they state strengths, then mentioning 2-4 is sufficient.

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
Hi,

Does anyone have an answer structure for when they are asked about commercial awareness in an interview question?
Hiya,
I don’t know if this is the perfect structure but it worked for me and I got a vac scheme offer this cycle.

I started off by stating the trend or idea that I wanted to discuss. I then mentioned any updates in the news or recent developments. I then discussed who it was going to effect and linked it to the firm.
So for example, for this firm one of their clients is Network Rail/trainline and the government recently published a proposal to create a standardised app for booking travel which would massively undermine the company. I then outlined the proposal and how it would affect the company and also how the firm could work with the company to mitigate the effect.

I think this example worked quite effectively as it was niche but spoke directly to the firms work and showed that I knew what was going on but also what was going on with the firm!
I hope that helps/makes sense !!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

FT_82

Mar 3, 2023
Hiya,
I don’t know if this is the perfect structure but it worked for me and I got a vac scheme offer this cycle.

I started off by stating the trend or idea that I wanted to discuss. I then mentioned any updates in the news or recent developments. I then discussed who it was going to effect and linked it to the firm.
So for example, for this firm one of their clients is Network Rail/trainline and the government recently published a proposal to create a standardised app for booking travel which would massively undermine the company. I then outlined the proposal and how it would affect the company and also how the firm could work with the company to mitigate the effect.

I think this example worked quite effectively as it was niche but spoke directly to the firms work and showed that I knew what was going on but also what was going on with the firm!
I hope that helps/makes sense !!
Thank you so much! That is so helpful 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.