Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When answering strength-based questions like "How would deal with an X situation", do you guys jump straight to your example or outline your general approach first then provide a specific example?
I would avoid just jumping into examples - this isn't really what strengths based assessments are about. They want you to be forward looking rather than rely on past evidence.

Instead focus on what you would do, what factors you would need to consider, if needed explain any assumptions you are making about the scenario (e.g. "Assuming I had a strong working relationship with my supervisor, I would...."), and explain the key aspects that have influenced your thinking this is the right approach. With that last point, you can briefly reference previous times you have been put in similar situations, but if you do this you have to really explain the similarity in the circumstances, not just the similarity in the approach.

Cherikon

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2023
I would avoid just jumping into examples - this isn't really what strengths based assessments are about. They want you to be forward looking rather than rely on past evidence.

Instead focus on what you would do, what factors you would need to consider, if needed explain any assumptions you are making about the scenario (e.g. "Assuming I had a strong working relationship with my supervisor, I would...."), and explain the key aspects that have influenced your thinking this is the right approach. With that last point, you can briefly reference previous times you have been put in similar situations, but if you do this you have to really explain the similarity in the circumstances, not just the similarity in the approach.
Thank you Jessica! I think I know why I failed some VIs now 😭 glad that I asked

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre do you have any advice for this?
I think it is quite firm to say without knowing the firms and their strengths but generally speaking I would consider:
  • the strengths of their practice areas compared to similar firms in the market
  • their international presence: how is this different from their competitors? do they have more offices abroad then others?
  • talent retention: what is the law firm doing which helps them to retain more talents compared to its competitors?
These are some of the things I would consider, I hope they are useful and good luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre Please could I quickly get your opinion on this.

I did a practice interview with someone from my uni's careers service and I explained that sometimes I exaggerate or make up examples for STAR answers and she said it's best to respond with "haven't been in that situation, but a similar position I have been in....I responded with..." or "I haven't experienced that yet, but this is how I would react in that position..."

What do you make of this? Thank you!!
I think it is an interesting take and if you cannot think of something to say on your feet, it might be a good strategy. I personally would recommend to always be honest, but sometimes it will happen that you might not have experienced a situation that they might ask you and I personally tried to use my recent experiences. I would encourage you to do what you think it's best for you and the situation but you should decide what to do!

• 🤝
Reactions: Miss Chocolate

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey everyone, Im applying to Paul Hastings work placement (their version of VC) and Im a bit confused about their questions;
Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? and What has attracted you to Paul Hastings?

I feel like both questions are super similar: also can I discuss why I want to train at PH in the first question? I cant seem to find any info on the work placement
I think that in the first question you should highlight how doing a scheme with them will benefit you in terms of making you understand more about the firm, getting to hear the associates and partners' journeys to the firm, understanding what trainees do in different departments at the firm, what their pro bono initiative entails.

In the second one, I would mention the reasons why you want to join the firm in terms of practice areas the firm excels at and you are excited to be working in, diversity initiatives, culture or values of the firm you resonate with, specific deals that caught your attention or anything of that nature.

Reactions: lawstonks

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If we’re still waiting to hear back from a firm post-AC, and have other offers coming in, could we email grad rec to ask for an update on our AC outcome? Or would it be unprofessional to do so?
I personally have done that and I got the offer two hours after my email when I applied last year. I would only recommend doing this when a considerable amount of time has passed (after the two weeks mark in my opinion).

Reactions: thelegalstudent

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Invited to Baker McKenzie VI for Spring! But I’ve already secured a Spring VS elsewhere. Would it be possible for me to ask graduate recruitment to move my application for the direct TC as I can’t do the Summer VS either. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated😊 @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
Yes you can definitely do that, many people do that and I personally have done it last year too, it is not a big of a deal. Just be very nice in the email and very grateful. I would email them only after you got the offer, not now since you only got the video interview.

Reactions: starbright

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.