TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone! I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on the interview question 'what other firms are you applying to?' Of course I will be honest here but I do think it's important to list firms that are similar to that firm in some way (ideally in a way that corresponds to why I am interested in that particular firm), but I'm afraid of mentioning too broad an array of firms here (eg mentioning a US firm when the firm interviewing me is a UK firm). Does any one have any advice on how best to approach this question?
I was asked this question in all my interviews last year and I interviewed with US firms. What I can say from my perspective is that it really is difficult to mention the firms, I totally understand your point of you.

I personally could not mention every firm I applied to since I applied to 20+ so I mentioned 6/7 firms I applied to and they were a mixture of US firms and international city firms and I basically explained that I liked firms I either had interactions with or that were US firms as I thought they were more international.

I think that you should mention the firms that make sense to mention and that you actually applied to as well, but there is no rule that states that you need to mention all the firms you applied to as someone in my shoes would have not wasted hours listing 20+ firms in the industry.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Axel, is it okay to ask this question to the firm's grad recruitment before making a decision (need to make on which scheme by friday), or will that look bad? Thanks!
I think you can ask them, they might say no but I do not think it will hinder your chances in any way, it is a normal request and I am sure you are not the first person to ask this anyway.

Reactions: cattlawapps324

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker I was hoping to please get your help here. I am offered a spring VS, and I am in my final year. I was wondering If it was worth flagging to the GR that I am able and would like to start my TC (if offered) in 2025 rather than 2026. Is it worth telling them now, or should I wait until I am offered a TC?
I think it would be more appropriate to ask when you have the training contract. Asking now might appear a bit pretentious.

fingersarecrossed

Feb 11, 2024
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when receiving an email for an interview they told me I would be asked commercial questions. However, I am not too sure what exactly this might entail apart from competitors to the firm and current issues that law firms are facing. What other commercial questions could I possibly be asked?
recent deal & impact on firm

why this office ?

where should we open an office

Reactions: Amehta1

RK444

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 4, 2021
I think the interview is in 2 stages now😫 one now, one in May
Hey, do you have any information on this? I’m slightly confused. It says 2 interviews with Senior associates and Partners and a written exercise in March. The email then goes on to say there will be assessment days in May. What will be happening in May?!

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when receiving an email for an interview they told me I would be asked commercial questions. However, I am not too sure what exactly this might entail apart from competitors to the firm and current issues that law firms are facing. What other commercial questions could I possibly be asked?

There’s a section on commercial awareness on this list of interview questions!

Reactions: Amehta1

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I feel stupid asking this but my email says you have three days to prepare for the VI but the deadline is 00:00 on the 22nd. I would read that as needing to complete it before Wednesday evening but the three days would mean it should be Thursday evening, right?

It seems like I'm missing something obvious here but don't want to be in a situation where I go to sit it Thursday night and the deadline has passed! Any ideas @Jessica Booker?
Is the video interview on Launchpad? If so they always mean 23.59 on the date given.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was hoping to please get your help here. I am offered a spring VS, and I am in my final year. I was wondering If it was worth flagging to the GR that I am able and would like to start my TC (if offered) in 2025 rather than 2026. Is it worth telling them now, or should I wait until I am offered a TC?
I would wait until you are offered. They will have clocked you are in your final year and therefore could start earlier.

When you do raise it though, rather than saying you would like to start your TC in 2025, ask whether there is any opportunity to start in 2025.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there anywhere to check firm’s VS conversion rates to TCs? Thank you for any help!
Unfortunately this data isn’t really stored anywhere but can change year on year anyway - so I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Also conversion rates do not tell you how many people decline the offer, so things can be a little deceptive even if you do find them.

Reactions: Lawyer500

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Axel, is it okay to ask this question to the firm's grad recruitment before making a decision (need to make on which scheme by friday), or will that look bad? Thanks!
The graduate recruitment team will get lots of questions from candidates post offer - this is not a problem at all. What is the question regarding?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.