TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Hi - how did people pass the Reed Smith/ Baker McKenzie online tests? I don’t feel as though there’s much practice material out there and I found that a lot of the answers just didn’t make sense from a practical perspective. The tests were very similar but I got completely different personality results. Feeling pretty disillusioned, as at least I can study for the Watson Glaser. Have no idea how I could’ve done better (a lot of the options given for situations weren’t how I would respond, I picked the closest ones and tried to stay consistent).
I don't think they're ones you can really practice for much if I'm honest. It's cliche but I would just answer them honestly; I've done the strategy before where you try to think of the "right" answer, but the obvious one often isn't right.

I did both the BM and RS ones, and, like you, I got dissimilar outcomes in each of the pillars, despite answering honestly in both. I don't get how I can be a 7/9 for grit in one test and 3/9 on another!

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    IMG_0838.png

Those who have taken Watson Glaser tests and understand the “assumption” part, please can someone explain this to me? I understand the other parts but for some reason when it gets to “assumption” I get confused.

Does “assumption not made” mean that the statement does not necessarily match with the assumption and “assumption made” would mean that the statement matches the assumption so correlates but is just re-worded?

Please could a question and answer be provided but also explained a little?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker do you perhaps have any tips on how I can better understand the “assumption” part of the WG? 😊

Last edited:

lawstudent5533

Feb 1, 2023
    View attachment 5823

Those who have taken Watson Glaser tests and understand the “assumption” part, please can someone explain this to me? I understand the other parts but for some reason when it gets to “assumption” I get confused.

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker do you perhaps have any tips on how I can get better with the “assumption” part of the WG? 😊
    I am terrible at WG so I may be completely wrong here but the statement implies that a lack of courtesy among staff is due to unsuccessful management therefore you can define managerial success by measuring how the staff interact with each other. Essentially, if staff did have courtesy amongst each other, it would imply the managers were successful in their role. So I think it can be defined that way? Again I might be completely wrong so anyone please feel free to correct me!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sunshinepink

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I am terrible at WG so I may be completely wrong here but the statement implies that a lack of courtesy among staff is due to unsuccessful management therefore you can define managerial success by measuring how the staff interact with each other. Essentially, if staff did have courtesy amongst each other, it would imply the managers were successful in their role. So I think it can be defined that way? Again I might be completely wrong so anyone please feel free to correct me!

Thank you so much for replying! I think I understand abit better from your explanation, so because the proposed assumption matched the original statement but was just worded differently, it could be said that the assumption was made?

legalgirlie

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2023
    Thank you so much for replying! I think I understand abit better from your explanation, so because the proposed assumption matched the original statement but was just worded differently, it could be said that the assumption was made?
    not sure if this is correct, but the way I understood those was that, if someone is saying XYZ about managers' success, then necessarily, that success CAN be defined (through some metric etc). Otherwise, if it couldn't be defined, you wouldn't be able to make claims about their level of success because you wouldn't be able to measure/count it. Idk if that's correct but that's how I think about it!!

Reactions: lawstudent5533

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    This cycle has been absolutely brutal. There was competition even a couple of years ago but not as much as this year. I have heard that it's the same in other sectors too such as consulting, tech, etc.
    While I am yet to secure something this year, I know someone with 5 vac scheme offers and 1 TC offer. Despite having signed the TC, this person will still be doing the other vac schemes (although it's not allowed according to the terms of the TC). While I am just hoping for one offer 💀

lawstudent5533

Feb 1, 2023
    not sure if this is correct, but the way I understood those was that, if someone is saying XYZ about managers' success, then necessarily, that success CAN be defined (through some metric etc). Otherwise, if it couldn't be defined, you wouldn't be able to make claims about their level of success because you wouldn't be able to measure/count it. Idk if that's correct but that's how I think about it!
    @Sunshinepink ^ a way better explanation than mine!

• Love
    Reactions: legalgirlie

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I’ve got a spring AC for a firm but due to personal reasons the VS dates don’t work for me anymore— should I still do my AC (scheduled for next week) and then ask the firm to reschedule the VS if I get it, or should I request to be moved to the summer VS group now itself, before the AC? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    I would wait to get an actual offer before asking to be moved personally. Law firms are usually very understanding when it comes to situations like this so I would work hard to get the offer and then see what can be done to move you afterwards.

Ideally, if they are not able to move you to the summer scheme you could ask them to consider you for a direct training contract if possible.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

LawyerInMaking

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 20, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker , @axelbeugre , is it ok to mention same commercial stories as I did during the AC interview of a firm, for the final interview of their upcoming Spring VS (timelag is is only 2 months) ? Do they expect you to prepare afresh and say new things ? Do they keep a record of what you spoke about in AC and hold it against you if you repeat it ? Same question for competency and motivational questions - since they havent changed since AC , can I give same answers? I guess I am trying to establish in general if they want fresh perspectives since AC or same will do ? Would this change for Summer VS given the lag is more ?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , @axelbeugre , is it ok to mention same commercial stories as I did during the AC interview of a firm, for the final interview of their upcoming Spring VS (timelag is is only 2 months) ? Do they expect you to prepare afresh and say new things ? Do they keep a record of what you spoke about in AC and hold it against you if you repeat it ? Same question for competency and motivational questions - since they havent changed since AC , can I give same answers? I guess I am trying to establish in general if they want fresh perspectives since AC or same will do ? Would this change for Summer VS given the lag is more ?
    You can but this is an opportunity to show something different about your interests or knowledge and so I would potentially try to pick another story to show more variety.

However, they still may ask you about what you wrote on your application, so make sure you are up to date with the developments in that story too.

It is unlikely they will know the details of what you spoke about it previous interviews during the interview itself, and so you could use the same examples, but if that comes across as one dimensional in wrap up feedback meetings/discussions between the assessors, it is more risky.

You don’t have to change all the perspectives of your motivational answers - it is expected they will be the same/similar.

Ultimately I wouldn’t expect your interview at a final stage to cover the exact same things you have had in a previous interview though, and so this worrying of repetition is probably not something to concern yourself with. There maybe some overlap, and where you can try to show more variety in your skills, knowledge or experience but don’t worry about it if you are using occasional similar answers.

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    Re-reading the application I sent to a firm in preparation for an interview, somehow wrote that I was interested in their private wealth team when I know the firm doesn't actually do any private wealth work. It was a passing mention amongst other areas they do practice in, but any suggestions for the best way to correct myself if they mention this at the interview?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Re-reading the application I sent to a firm in preparation for an interview, somehow wrote that I was interested in their private wealth team when I know the firm doesn't actually do any private wealth work. It was a passing mention amongst other areas they do practice in, but any suggestions for the best way to correct myself if they mention this at the interview?
    I would stress how you are a very curious and inquisitive person and you are actually interested in more areas and sectors the firm works in such as xyz and dive deeper into those.

I think that in interviews there is a subtle way to diverge the conversation towards something you want to say and this might be the best way in my opinion.

Alternatively, you can pick up a certain aspect of private wealth such as working closely with clients and how you understand that there are other departments that can provide that too such M&A or something like that.

I hope this approach works and good luck with your interview and congratulations for obtaining in the first place!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.