TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
Just received feedback from the US law that rejected me post AC. They told me that I excelled in the group exercise and I was good in the partner-technical interview (although I could elaborate more on some points). Apparently, the competency interview was my downfall. They told me that I didn't respect the 2 minute limit per question in 3 questions. That I shouldn't have talked for 3-4 minutes when answering the 3 questions. This is in stark contrast to a previous AC where I was told that I shouldn't be concise and I should speak for more than 2 minutes to elaborate more 😂.They also emphasised twice that it wasn't the content of my answers but the length of the 3 answers that was too much :(
I'm so sorry to hear that, that must be so annoying. Now I'm worried because for two of my interviews, I went over omg

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how far out from the start date paralegal positions recruit from?
Typically not more than 12 weeks unless it is a programme that has a fixed start date (like trainee intakes).

Sometimes it might be less than 4 weeks as sometimes roles have a fairly immediate start date.

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
I'm so sorry to hear that, that must be so annoying. Now I'm worried because for two of my interviews, I went over omg
A really good tip an associate gave me for interview prep is if you’ve finished your answer and the interviewer pauses before asking you another Q, they are testing you to see if you remain steadfast or start talking again, its basically them saying it’s okay to stop if you don’t have anything further to say as most of the time they want you to stop so they can ask follow up Q’s etc.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
Nah, I wouldn't worry. I think it depends on the firm. In my case, I think they just didn't want me tbh. Which I understand, they had a lot of applicants for less than 10 spaces. I think penalising a candidate because of a couple of questions is just ridiculous. I interviewed at a MC firm back in time and I went over the 2 min limit a few times and still got the vac scheme. I think you'll be fine. Good luck!

WhaTdocument

Standard Member
Dec 6, 2023
Nah, I wouldn't worry. I think it depends on the firm. In my case, I think they just didn't want me tbh. Which I understand, they had a lot of applicants for less than 10 spaces. I think penalising a candidate because of a couple of questions is just ridiculous. I interviewed at a MC firm back in time and I went over the 2 min limit a few times and still got the vac scheme. I think you'll be fine. Good luck!
that is totally absurd. They just want some excuse to not hire you and the excuse is so lame and not decent. You must be super excellent and would definitely get a proper one.

smileymay1234

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 18, 2022
View attachment 5823

Those who have taken Watson Glaser tests and understand the “assumption” part, please can someone explain this to me? I understand the other parts but for some reason when it gets to “assumption” I get confused.

Does “assumption not made” mean that the statement does not necessarily match with the assumption and “assumption made” would mean that the statement matches the assumption so correlates but is just re-worded?

Please could a question and answer be provided but also explained a little?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker do you perhaps have any tips on how I can better understand the “assumption” part of the WG? 😊
Really helpful thing I read online somewhere was to read the initial statement and say to yourself "yes but you're assuming that..." and then the proposed assumption. If the proposed assumption would essentially trump the initial statement/win the argument then assumption is made. If it doesn't really make sense then assumption likely isn't made.

Not completely foolproof method but it's helped me a lot!

• 🤝
Reactions: Sunshinepink

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when completing an application, it is a good idea to mention a legal work experience/vacation scheme opportunity that you have coming up at another law firm? The firm is in a different region to where I would be applying for TC's but also in the same region as another that I am to for a VC.

I know that completing legal work experience can be helpful but I have not yet done it even though it has been confirmed. Should I mention it and how could I go about this because it was somewhat due to a connection that I have at the firm putting in a good word for me in addition to my CV which is also pretty good :)

• ℹ️
    Reactions: pri, axelbeugre and Sharon Wu

EllaClayton

Valued Member
    Jan 23, 2023
    Hi all just looking for a bit of advice, I am expecting to be contacted this week regarding the outcome of an AC but discovered I will have to travel all day tomorrow due to a family emergency and will likely be uncontactable until midway through next week. Is this something I could contact grad rec about today to see if they can provide me with an outcome?

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Really helpful thing I read online somewhere was to read the initial statement and say to yourself "yes but you're assuming that..." and then the proposed assumption. If the proposed assumption would essentially trump the initial statement/win the argument then assumption is made. If it doesn't really make sense then assumption likely isn't made.

Not completely foolproof method but it's helped me a lot!
    I read this too, yesterday and it has helped me to understand it so much more. Thank you so much! (I like your username) :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.