TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Is it just me or has anyone else also faced this- I’ve been applying for 2 years now and in every application, other people hear back about ACs and next stage invites yet law firms never get back to me. Am I that bad or do firms really hate me?? (apologies for the weird questions) but it seems to me as if I’m making applications after applications never to hear back or either get a PFO. It’s mentally very tiring

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here as I'm in a situation I'm quite upset about and would like some advice.

About a week ago, I had an assessment centre at a firm I was very keen on (I won't disclose which as I'm not sure I feel comfortable doing that). I feel the day generally went well and although the case study was quite difficult, I didn't think I performed *too* badly. There were 5 other people here on the day and everyone was really friendly, so didn't think anything was off and we all added each other on LinkedIn when there was a break period in the day after another candidate suggested we do so.

However, when the day was over, one of the other candidates hugged the Grad Rec member and said "it was great to see you Kathy, hopefully see you again in the next few weeks". When someone asked what she meant by this, she said she was a long-term family friend. This immediately seemed unfair to me; I don't know how strong her application was and she may have deservedly been there on her own merit, but it just made me feel uncomfortable. She said she hadn't performed too strongly throughout the day too, which I feel is worth bearing in mind.

Earlier this week, I was rejected from the firm. I'm obviously disappointed but it's just one of those things. Nevertheless, when scrolling through LinkedIn, I saw the other girl post that she had successfully landed a VS at the firm. I instantly felt like the whole process was completely unfair and she had gained a place because she had internal contacts. If I'm honest, this upset me just as much as the rejection itself knowing I was up against what I feel was a nepotistic candidate.

Part of me wants to write to the firm and say how I feel this is unjustified, but I know that won't achieve anything. I'm female, state educated and have attended a non-RG university, so I already feel I've had to work harder than many other applicants just to be in this position. It feels like a slap in the face. Am I right to be annoyed or is this just commonplace in the City and something you just have to suck up?
i’m really sorry about your experience. personally i would email them just to let them know so that in the future they can do more to prevent other students from feeling this way. some people do just have an advantage in this process and lots of it is subtle, it’s ok to point it out to them possible bias without having all the evidence because in reality that is never possible in HR. and in admin law we learned that even a perception of bias is an issue for the courts etc. i would say the same applies here. but keep it short and straightforward, just say you wish to give some feedback etc. and it’s up to them how they take it.

Reactions: tcla888

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
That's really interesting. But how would you know someone is a relative of a famous judge? I get it with celebrities as they are famous and known across the globe but I am really curious how can grad rec infer that a candidate is the relative of a famous judge or a next door neighbour of partners? Or is that something candidates write in their app? Especially when some firms claim that app reviews are completely blind
If they have a very distinctive name, the association happens very quickly. Plus law is a small world - word gets around pretty quickly and in the same way people spot people are friendly with other people because there is a connection. Word gets around very quickly.

I am not saying it necessarily happens at application stage, but by the time the individual attends an assessment centre or joins a vacation scheme or training contract (like the example I was quoting in my last post), connections come to the surface through people's actions or through people talking/speculating about things.

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
Has anyone applied to Boodle Hatfield? Concerned because I applied for both the vac scheme and the TC at the same time but talked more about the vac scheme in my application. They said you could edit it up until the TC deadline but I think that just means for the work experience sections.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Is it just me or has anyone else also faced this- I’ve been applying for 2 years now and in every application, other people hear back about ACs and next stage invites yet law firms never get back to me. Am I that bad or do firms really hate me?? (apologies for the weird questions) but it seems to me as if I’m making applications after applications never to hear back or either get a PFO. It’s mentally very tiring
First off, I’m sorry you feel that way, and so many people on this forum relate to how you feel. It is a particularly draining process and constant PFOs can really take a toll.

How many applications would you say you’ve done each cycle and have you progressed past the application stage at any point?

Firms definitely don’t hate you and I really doubt you’re “that bad”; it’s likely just a technique issue. In terms of getting better, I think the best approach would be to have someone else review your application. If they give you honest feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, it may help you understand where you’re going wrong. I also see you’re a premium member, so I would 100% advise looking at the example successful applications and comparing those to yours.

Just remember that you’re only on a second cycle! There are people on here who have been through a lot more than that, and we’re still here :) You’ll get there!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre, would like some advise on a CV blind interview at an AC. If i am asked to introduce myself, should i say which uni(s) I studied at when saying my background? The email about the cv blind interview says the following: "The interviewers will receive a copy of your application form, however this will be limited to the questions and answers under the following sections work experience, activities and your application question answers. Where organisations are specified in your application regarding work experience, these will be generalised for your interviewer e.g. 'law firm' or 'professional services firm'. In addition, reference to educational institutions will be removed, including specific mention of your university or school within application answers." Just wondering how i should conduct myself when explaining about myself if asked?
In these circumstances I personally would not mention them and most of the time will not make or break your interview performance and result anyway, just focus on what you studied.

I do understand that it comes natural to many to say the universities they have studied, and it would be natural to me too, but I think that in this case it is more important to focus on what you have studied/learned/achieved and experienced!

Reactions: Ash2323

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.