TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
IMG_0528.jpeg

I stumbled upon this on TikTok and wondered if this post was actually accurate as it strikes me as somewhat forced/inane?

I’m not disputing that 1, 3, and 5 are good points, I just think 2 and 4 are weird. How will connecting with graduate recruitment on LinkedIn help you at all? They’re not going to offer preferential treatment, if they remember your name at all, so what purpose does that serve?

Same with 4, unless you have a connection at said firm, what trainee or associate is going to spend their time reading and offering tailored advice to a stranger on their application? When some of these firms receive 4,000 applications, again, why would they offer preferential treatment?

Perhaps I’m being overly pessimistic or am I accurate here?

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023
View attachment 5894

I stumbled upon this on TikTok and wondered if this addict was actually accurate as it strikes me as somewhat forced/inane?

I’m not disputing that 1, 3, and 5 are good points, I just think 2 and 4 are weird. How will connecting with graduate recruitment on LinkedIn help you at all? They’re not going to offer preferential treatment, if they remember your name at all, so what purpose does that serve?

Same with 4, unless you have a connection at said firm, what trainee or associate is going to spend their time reading and offering tailored advice to a stranger on their application? When some of these firms receive 4,000 applications, again, why would they offer preferential treatment?

Number 6: (6a) Start a Tik Tok/Linkedin/Instagram or YouTube page telling people who have been rejected from TCs, how to get TC's even though you may not (when you start the post) have a TC yourself. (6b) Get 10K followers. (6c) Get a TC yourself. (6d) Tell everyone who still hasn't got a TC, (after doing what you suggest and much more), what to do to get a TC except what you actually did to get a TC 😝

Last edited:

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
View attachment 5894

I stumbled upon this on TikTok and wondered if this post was actually accurate as it strikes me as somewhat forced/inane?

Lol 4 1000% never works. I connected to a trainee at a firm I applied for this year. We met online and we got on fairly well.

They bragged about how they assisted applicants in their pursuit for Vac Schemes. I thought hey why not ask if they’d like to read through what I wrote - they said no and that it’s because they “didn’t receive any help during their application cycle”.

neonorange

Distinguished Member
Feb 2, 2024
View attachment 5894

I have a connection at a silver circle who reviewed my application for their winter vac scheme and said it looked really strong/helped with "improvements" but I still got a post-app PFO so take from that what you will! I do agree though that unless you have a connection most people just don't have the time or energy to help strangers - one "hey can you take a quick look at this" quickly becomes four follow ups and I personally would not have the inclination to invest so much time into someone I didn't know.

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
I have a connection at a silver circle who reviewed my application for their winter vac scheme and said it looked really strong/helped with "improvements" but I still got a post-app PFO so take from that what you will! I do agree though that unless you have a connection most people just don't have the time or energy to help strangers - one "hey can you take a quick look at this" quickly becomes four follow ups and I personally would not have the inclination to invest so much time into someone I didn't know.
I don’t even blame them either. Trainees are going to very busy people and helping a stranger try and advance on an application is a lot of effort unless you’ve already got a connection or built some rapport with them.

hopefulforatc

Star Member
Mar 3, 2024
yea doesn't make a huge difference. If it has to happen it will.

Reactions: neonorange

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
I don’t even blame them either. Trainees are going to very busy people and helping a stranger try and advance on an application is a lot of effort unless you’ve already got a connection or built some rapport with them.
For sure! I think some shouldn’t give advice/present themselves as willing to. I realise Trainees are the best marketers. Great at selling to you they are open and available but in reality they aren’t. I don’t blame tho.

I think if people want help it’s best to speak to recruiters and careers advisors at uni. It might seem fruitless but they’re the ones who are headhunting, read applications the most and know what a good one looks like. Trainees aren’t always the best because in reality they don’t know what specifically did or didn’t get them through the door. I mean ppl get given great ratings post Vac Scheme or post application stage and still don’t secure an Interview/CV.

Reactions: yueyueer and neonorange

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Inspired by @Legalstalker and @Sharon Wu, I also want to share my application journey so far. To anyone reading this, if u feel ur behind the 8 ball, I hope this post comforts u. I’m a graduate, having worked in hospitality, sales (covering groceries, footwear & apparel, home furnishings), legal, and volunteering, I still haven’t gotten a tc and will never lose optimism of getting one until I get one.

Total apps submitted (across 2 cycles)- 26
PFO post apps- 20
PFO post 2nd stage- 3
Firms waiting on- 3
AC reached- 0
Hardest rejection- W&C as I gave a lot of thought on drafting a concise, bespoke cover letter so this one particularly hurt 😭
Easiest rejection- shearman & sterling as I heard some not-so-great stories about them

Plan going forward- currently working as a sales assistant but have a new offer lined up with a global AI training and collection company in London (will start from 19 march). Given all the hype surrounding AI, hopefully this role gives me some good experience ahead of the new season.

As I have some legal experience under my belt, I’m planning on submitting few direct apps in the summer.

Congratulations on ur VS offers @Legalstalker and @Sharon Wu, very well deserved 🥳🥳 hope u both convert it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
View attachment 5894

In most instances, you won’t be visible to GR teams even if you do connect with them on LinkedIn.

They are generally connected with hundreds/possibly thousands of other people and their timelines are far busier than you can ever be “visible” to them. And that’s even assuming they have the time to be active on LinkedIn.

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
Someone previously mentioned acquiring work experience in finance and pe to put one in a stronger position next cycle. As someone from a law background, I wonder what types of internship role in finance/pe I could look at. Have never thought of this route before so appreciate any insights!

Reactions: hopefulforatc

DieHard

Star Member
Feb 14, 2024
Someone previously mentioned acquiring work experience in finance and pe to put one in a stronger position next cycle. As someone from a law background, I wonder what types of internship role in finance/pe I could look at. Have never thought of this route before so appreciate any insights!
Do you mean in terms of investment side of Private Equity?

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Obviously that would be great but they'd be mega competitive unless you know someone in the industry. Tbh I'd just write to high street firms near you that do a bit of commercial work and ask to work for them for a couple of weeks. I got some small-scale transactional experience by doing that and was able to draft various ancillary documents and manage a part of the signing process. All that is v applicable to the work of a trainee and less competitive to get

hopefulforatc

Star Member
Mar 3, 2024
I am a recent graduate from a Russell group university and this is my first cycle of vacation scheme applications. I have low A Level grades however, I was able to get VIs from some firms but I did not pass them. I am thinking of reapplying next cycle.

@Jessica Booker what do you suggest I should do in the meantime to increase my chances next cycle.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.