TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
Did the Reed smith ac and they literally starved us the whole day. Never been to an ac where they could be this stingy…
Things like this really upset me tbh! So telling of their regard for candidates/general ethos. I need to take my twice daily medication with food but at a day-long AC we weren't provided anything, nor were we allowed to leave. I was literally so close to leaving midway

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Not wanting to start another debate but I was wondering how much age matters in applying for US law firms with a small intake. Talking to trainees at these firms, the vast majority of them were in their early-mid twenties and graduates. I was wondering what chances I had as a person going into third year of uni next year in succeeding at small intake US firms and if I should even focus my applications on these firms next cycle or stick to firms with a much higher intake.
I haven’t personally noticed this phenomenon. There are plenty of career changers and ‘older’ trainees at US firms. US firms also hire huge numbers of non-law students who are inherently older by the time they start their TC. Getting a TC at US firms with a small intake is obviously super challenging but I wouldn’t worry about age/stage of studies necessarily being an issue myself

Amehta1

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 4, 2023
    I haven’t personally noticed this phenomenon. There are plenty of career changers and ‘older’ trainees at US firms. US firms also hire huge numbers of non-law students who are inherently older by the time they start their TC. Getting a TC at US firms with a small intake is obviously super challenging but I wouldn’t worry about age/stage of studies necessarily being an issue myself
    Yeah completely see your point but I was wondering if being a younger candidate affects your chances, rather than being an older candidate which naturally brings more experience.

Reactions: tcla888

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Reactions: Amehta1

Amehta1

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 4, 2023
    I think this post has some relevance, not sure which US firms you were referring to, but if they recently started recruitment this might be part of why you’ve seen that trend?

https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....lkie-farr-gallagher-anything.4439/post-152818
    That post was definitely insightful. I was talking with trainees at Gibson Dunn,Skadden and Cleary and the general message I got conveyed was that US firms tend to prefer older candidates because they are naturally more experienced and are generally able to handle complex tasks better than younger candidates with less experience. The general consensus also was that even if there is not a preference for older candidates, the makeup of trainees at small intake US firms just happened to be graduates or older students because their skill sets and experiences better aligned with the firm’s demands than perhaps a candidate who is still in university.

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Zi48, Sharon Wu and yxngd2x

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    Not wanting to start another debate but I was wondering how much age matters in applying for US law firms with a small intake. Talking to trainees at these firms, the vast majority of them were in their early-mid twenties and graduates. I was wondering what chances I had as a much younger candidate going into third year of uni next year in succeeding at small intake US firms and if I should even focus my applications on these firms next cycle or stick to firms with a much higher intake.
    I don't think this should put you off from applying. I know quite a few people still in uni that have completed vac schemes at firms like these and successfully converted them. I can't speak for all firms, but from my experience as well (at a US firm with an intake of about 4-6), a lot of us were still uni students and successful in converting. In my opinion, if you are interested in these firms you shouldn't let a concern like this be the reason you don't apply.

user184794

Star Member
    Dec 19, 2023
    Things like this really upset me tbh! So telling of their regard for candidates/general ethos. I need to take my twice daily medication with food but at a day-long AC we weren't provided anything, nor were we allowed to leave. I was literally so close to leaving midway
    Right! You can’t just serve 4 croissants and call it lunch and breakfast, especially if you need to take medicine. Bear in mind we were there from 9am -4pm, without both lunch or breakfast provided, or being told to bring lunch/ allowed to go to Tesco.

Reactions: lonelycruise

ReedSmithBecca

Star Member
    Sep 12, 2023
    Right! You can’t just serve 4 croissants and call it lunch and breakfast, especially if you need to take medicine. Bear in mind we were there from 9am -4pm, without both lunch or breakfast provided, or being told to bring lunch/ allowed to go to Tesco.
    Hi, I've just been made aware of this comment so I wanted to reply as I'm really sorry to hear this. Of course there is no obligation to, but if you would like to provide some more feedback, we'd be very glad to receive it at: [email protected].
    To give you a little bit of context, we started off by providing lunches, but none of it got eaten and candidates fedback that they felt too nervous to eat, which is why we swapped to lighter snacks of pastries and biscuits available throughout the day (plus options to suit any dietary requirements as needed), which typically run from around 10:30am-3pm. We gave a lunch break of between 45 and 30 minutes and let candidates know that they were free to leave during this time, but I'm sorry that this message didn't get through.
    We really do care about making our Assessment Days (and all events) an environment that is welcoming and allows candidates to perform at their best, so if you want to either directly message me your feedback or email it through, we'd appreciate any suggestions you have.
    Becca

GWJlaw

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2023
    MoFo first stage interview and TLT AC. I've already accepted one VS and waiting to hear from two post AC meaning I thought my cycle was largely over. I've decided to decline the MoFo first stage as I know the process will be so time consuming when I'm not sure that I am culturally aligned to US Law firms or Mofo specifically anyway. ( I applied 7 months ago and forgot). Knowing that I if I took more time away from focusing on my degree, went through the process and was successful I might not be totally happy doesn't feel worth it.

I've sent recruitment an email this morning but I can't help but feel terrible about it 😭 Turning down opportunities when I've struggled so bad to be in the position I'm in feels ungrateful. I know that doing it is not a constructive use of my time as If I was successful after my spring VS I would accept the TC as I adore the firm. The 3 other Acs if got/done if they led to opportunities for summer I'd be more inclined to take, so I don't see the point in wasting peoples time.

Idk guys I feel bad and ungrateful and needed to leave this somewhere 😭 I really hope this creates an opportunity for someone else!!

ReedSmithBecca

Star Member
    Sep 12, 2023
    Hello, I responded to the original comment above but wanted to let you know that the same message stands. We do genuinely care about ensuring candidates have a good experience, so appreciate any other feedback you might have - you're welcome to directly message me. Becca

Reactions: Sharon Wu
    D

Deleted member 32324

Whilst I didn't attend the assessment centre, this is really nice from Becca to acknowledge the issue. I've been to quite a fair share of assessment centres and at a few by the time the final exercise comes around I'm absolutely starving and it leaves a sour taste in the mouth about whether the firm actually cares for candidates. HSF were definitely the best in this regard and at least provided my cohort with a proper meal. Glad someone else has acknowledge the meal issue on this platform at assessment centres and fair play to Reed Smith for at least holding themselves accountable to some extent.

ALSO: can the feedback please be made anonymous as a lot of people would be too scared that it will impact their chances of getting in (as dumb as that sounds, people think they may come off as ungrateful)
    Hi, I've just been made aware of this comment so I wanted to reply as I'm really sorry to hear this. Of course there is no obligation to, but if you would like to provide some more feedback, we'd be very glad to receive it at: [email protected].
    To give you a little bit of context, we started off by providing lunches, but none of it got eaten and candidates fedback that they felt too nervous to eat, which is why we swapped to lighter snacks of pastries and biscuits available throughout the day (plus options to suit any dietary requirements as needed), which typically run from around 10:30am-3pm. We gave a lunch break of between 45 and 30 minutes and let candidates know that they were free to leave during this time, but I'm sorry that this message didn't get through.
    We really do care about making our Assessment Days (and all events) an environment that is welcoming and allows candidates to perform at their best, so if you want to either directly message me your feedback or email it through, we'd appreciate any suggestions you have.
    Becca

elektrajenkov

Star Member
    Dec 20, 2023
    MoFo first stage interview and TLT AC. I've already accepted one VS and waiting to hear from two post AC meaning I thought my cycle was largely over. I've decided to decline the MoFo first stage as I know the process will be so time consuming when I'm not sure that I am culturally aligned to US Law firms or Mofo specifically anyway. ( I applied 7 months ago and forgot). Knowing that I if I took more time away from focusing on my degree, went through the process and was successful I might not be totally happy doesn't feel worth it.

I've sent recruitment an email this morning but I can't help but feel terrible about it 😭 Turning down opportunities when I've struggled so bad to be in the position I'm in feels ungrateful. I know that doing it is not a constructive use of my time as If I was successful after my spring VS I would accept the TC as I adore the firm. The 3 other Acs if got/done if they led to opportunities for summer I'd be more inclined to take, so I don't see the point in wasting peoples time.

Idk guys I feel bad and ungrateful and needed to leave this somewhere 😭 I really hope this creates an opportunity for someone else!!
    I can relate to this! I can only do one VS this summer for a few reasons and have recently accepted an offer at my top choice firm but it feels SO wrong withdrawing current applications/not pursuing next steps after all the effort put in and months of waiting for those next steps 😭 like you, I’m trying to think of it as I really hope that creates an opportunity for someone else at their dream firm! please feel free to PM me if you wanna talk about this more because it’s such a weird position to be in!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.