TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
You are getting multiple interviews and assessment centres - you clearly are a good candidate to be getting to those stages frequently.

It sounds like you may just need some practice or focus on interviewing skills or potentially another type of assessment. What feedback have you received from firms when you have reached interview/assessment centre stage?
From previous feedback, I have been told I do not score high enough during Business Case Studies.

And to be honest, I don’t find that surprising.

But how exactly are we meant to get experience in these business case studies? It’s not something a law degree teaches and it isn’t really something being a paralegal teaches either.

I have tried practice ones online. But every time I do a real case study, each firm it is individual to the firm and always feels just that little bit different. It sometimes feels like it is something I can’t prepare for and therefore can’t get better at. Urgh.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
So I didn’t get a single Vac Scheme again.

After a dozen applications, dozens of tests, multiple interviews, multiple ACs, not 1 Vac scheme offer.

I have:
  • a first class degree from a Russell group university
  • A distinction at the GDL
  • an LSE Corporate Law diploma

• Over 4 legal work experiences including being a paralegal for over a year in a London city firm.
  • Over 6 other work experiences non law related

• I speak multiple languages
  • And was a music and sports scholar at school
  • I have also worked for multiple charities

And after all this, I still don’t have a Vac scheme offer.

Someone prevent me from just giving everything up after all that effort.

What is it I can do? After all this I’m still not good enough ?
I am in a similar situation. It's not about being good enough or not. It all comes down to many factors including luck. For example, in my first cycle I did one vac scheme app and I got it. In my second cycle, I did more than 10 and didn't even reach AC for one. In my third (and current) cycle, I did more than 20 apps and reached AC and TI stage with a few firms.

However, I was unsuccessful post AC/TI and some firms just provided me the most generic feedback. I started questioning myself and whether I should pursue this career at all or not. I would recommend you to keep applying and in the meantime apply for other jobs/grad schemes - so you can gain some relevant skills and experience. Eventually you'll secure something but as someone said it before it also comes down to luck.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

NotLord Denning

Esteemed Member
Dec 18, 2020
From previous feedback, I have been told I do not score high enough during Business Case Studies.

But how exactly are we meant to get experience in these business case studies? It’s not something a law degree teaches and it isn’t really something being a paralegal teaches either.

I have tried practice ones online. But every time I do a real case study, each firm it is individual to the firm and always feels just that little bit different. It sometimes feels like it is something I can’t prepare for and therefore can’t get better at. Urgh.
The first thing to do is to get caught up on key finance/commercial terms.

If you have a friend who did the LPC from BPP, ask for their Corp Fin/Private Acq/Debt fin/Equity Fin notes. Otherwise PM me and I can give you some homework

KBanana

Standard Member
Premium Member
Mar 10, 2023
How many tasks per week should you do as a vac schemer? I am currently doing my vac scheme but I spend of most of my time speaking with people from the firm.

Would appreciate any advice on this - thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Business case studies aren’t really about the preparation for them as such, it’s much more about getting used to thinking about the analytical skills needed to consider the information you have been presented with.

I would recommend reading commercial stories regularly - not every day, but at least every other week. And reading is probably a poor description of what is needed - you need to analyse the stories and draw out key points from reading it. For instance, read an article and then write summaries like:

Why did this happen (and why did it happen in this way)?
Who was impacted?
What are the benefits (and who benefits)?
What are the risks (and who/what is most at risk)?

Whilst reviewing these stories, always make sure you read around the topic. If you come across a term you don’t understand, take time to read up on that term. It you have understood the story well, then maybe see if you can find another article on the same story but written from a different perspective. And then consider why people may have different views on it.

On top of this, getting used to some basic terms in areas like M&A, Private Equity, Real Estate, Finance etc (depending on the practice areas of the firms you are interested in) will also be helpful, just getting more used to the terminology will make you more confident and comfortable discussing these type of topics.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How many tasks per week should you do as a vac schemer? I am currently doing my vac scheme but I spend of most of my time speaking with people from the firm.

Would appreciate any advice on this - thanks!
There is no set answer to this. You could be given lots of small tasks or one very complex/larger task to do.

I would check in with your supervisor and/or trainee buddy to see if there is anything you can support them with/get involved in/attend. If they haven’t got much to give to you, ask them if they know if anyone else in the department might need support/help.

Reactions: bangarangbass39

J53

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024

It’s a different way of thinking, you can definitely practice it, PM if you want to as I’m part of a group doing a practice case study presentation + questions over zoom in the next week or so

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What kind of things do assessors look for in negotiations? If your partner put up a very polite and nice front but was actually being very bossy, low key condescending and mansplainy during preparation to make you look dumb would the assessor mark you both down? Or do they like people like that as they appear polite/ would they not pick up? Do they prefer people who are very fake nice?
    You wouldn’t be marked down for someone else’s behaviour.

Being very bossy/condescending isn’t going to be a good approach for any negotiation.

Fysone

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2020
    has anyone that's doing the spring scheme at Macfarlanes received any further info regarding practice area allocation?
    I haven't received anything as yet, either practice area allocation or timings etc. Considering sending something to grad rec later today if not heard by close of play.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    So I didn’t get a single Vac Scheme again.

After a dozen applications, dozens of tests, multiple interviews, multiple ACs, not 1 Vac scheme offer.

I have:
    • a first class degree from a Russell group university
    • A distinction at the GDL
    • an LSE Corporate Law diploma

• Over 4 legal work experiences including being a paralegal for over a year in a London city firm.
    • Over 6 other work experiences non law related

• I speak multiple languages
    • And was a music and sports scholar at school
    • I have also worked for multiple charities

And after all this, I still don’t have a Vac scheme offer.

Someone prevent me from just giving everything up after all that effort.

What is it I can do? After all this I’m still not good enough ?
    I totally understand the frustration and I am sorry this has been your experience.

Your academic as well as professional experience is extremely impressive and I am sure you will find the perfect fit in terms of law firms very soon. Unfortunately, the process is extremely difficult and competitive, and I feel like this application cycle was very competitive so you should be very proud of yourself for even being able to apply and get multiple assessment centres. There are many people with your same credentials, some of whom I know personally, who were unable to secure a single interview.

I think that the most important thing for you to focus on is the fact that you are passing the application stages and the various tests before interview invites, which is an amazing thing! It means that you are almost there in terms of being prepared to secure a vacation scheme offer. Now, it is just a matter of understanding how you can best prepare for your next interviews.

I think that for the next application cycle, your focus should start preparing early for interviews and make sure that your preparation fits the assessment of each firm you are interested in. Additionally, whenever you get an interview or an assessment centre invite, make sure to connect with people that have been successful with the process, so mainly future trainees or trainees. They will be your best source of information and tips when it comes to tackling these.

Moreover, I shared a couple of tips on how to deal with rejections which you can find here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ons-discussion-thread-2023-4.8038/post-170058

I hope this is useful and good luck on your journey, I am sure you will secure the vacation scheme you are striving for very soon as you have and still are working really hard!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have an AC next week, and as I live so far from London I will have to travel the night before and stay in a hotel. The firm has not mentioned reimbursing travel costs. As lots of others do, would it be okay for me to ask if they could, or should I wait to see if they offer? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
    I would ask - the worst that will happen is they say they can’t cover hotel expenses.

You may want to provide some context (as briefly as possible) as to what the earliest time you would be able to arrive if you didn’t stay overnight.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.