TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
So if you get to the case study you get an interview as well? You don't have to pass the case study to get the first HR interview?
They might’ve changed it now but yeah, last year they were both in the same stage. I did them on the same day as I had to do the interview virtually cause I was on year abroad, but I think most people had the case study on another day (but wasn’t a separate stage)

Last edited:

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Hey All,

I have some updates to share.

Unfortunately, after 8 beautiful months I am leaving TCLA and it really feels bittersweet. I thoroughly enjoyed being on the forum and connect with likeminded individuals who share my same dream in life to become a lawyer. I was moved, motivated, inspired and encouraged by the beautiful stories of resilience, confidence, strength and self-assuredness that I had the pleasure to read throughout these months on the forum. One of the most beautiful aspects of my job was being able to connect and relate to some many people that went through the same struggles I went through when I was applying to vacation schemes and training contracts. The process is extremely daunting and many feel lonely on their path to become lawyers and so being able to inspire and motivate people with just a post on a forum is the highlight of my year.

Since I got my training contract, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, despite the difficulties I had to face on my journey being an international student from an ethnic minority background. I felt like these two factors would have definitely limited my chances of achieving my dream of becoming a lawyer, but I did not let my fear stop me. This is the kind of feeling I was hoping to share whilst being on the forum. However, I ended up being the one inspired by your stories and I will always be grateful for people who are always transparent about their journeys and struggles, as achieving your goals is not an easy process.

I hope I was able to help people as much as I can and I will always be grateful to TCLA to have given me the chance to help many of my peers sharing my same dreams and goals.

If there is anything I want you to remember from all my posts and my personal journey is to never give up on your dreams, regardless of the thousandth rejections you will receive, the nos you will hear and the struggles you will face. It is never the end until you decide it is the end!

Thank you to everybody,

Best of luck to everyone and their journeys into the legal industry,

Axel
Thanks for all your advice and words of encouragement, Axel. All the best with your SQE exams and training contract.

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Bristows final stage interview invite and i really cannot believe im saying this but finally got a TC offer!!! 🤩 after 40+ rejections over 2.5 years or so, including my biggest blow which was not converting a VS last summer! as cliche as the phrase is, rejection really was redirection! the US law firm rejection (where i did my VS) led me to my current in house internship at a huge media and entertainment company which ultimately led me to this firm. i've been on this forum for years but to anyone reading this- you got this! i was so close to giving up so many times (especially after graduating) but it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when! ❤️

also i couldn't have done this without help along the way so feel free to reach out and i am more than happy to try and help out and give advice where i can! :)
Congratulations. Very well done 👏

• Love
Reactions: missingh

mp2000

Distinguished Member
Jan 29, 2024
How does one go about successfully securing their first paralegal position? I am really struggling to find openings for those with no prior experience as a paralegal. I have two degrees and a considerable amount of other work experience that I think will help my application (if I can actually find one I am eligible for!)...

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
How does one go about successfully securing their first paralegal position? I am really struggling to find openings for those with no prior experience as a paralegal. I have two degrees and a considerable amount of other work experience that I think will help my application (if I can actually find one I am eligible for!)...
Try local agencies though the pay often sucks

Reactions: hopefulforatc

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how many people Withers take from the direct route? Also how on earth are we meant to fit why law into 60 words? Are short sentences ok?
Their advertising profiles suggest they only take around 18-20 vac schemers a year and yet have around 40 trainees per year. So they must have a strong direct TC route if that is the case.

I would focus on fewer points (q or 2 key priorities for your answer) and being super, super succinct. This post may be helpful in getting word count down:

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
did anyone else just apply for nrf and not get an application confirmation lol do law firms just hate sending me confirmations <3
Yeah, it’s the same situation for me. Sent in the application but didn’t get any confirmation that NRF received my application. Best to wait till today evening, hopefully they send the confirmation email as it could be that their systems don’t work/respond on Sunday, just my assumption

SR99

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    Yeah, it’s the same situation for me. Sent in the application but didn’t get any confirmation that NRF received my application. Best to wait till today evening, hopefully they send the confirmation email as it could be that their systems don’t work/respond on Sunday, just my assumption
    did anyone else just apply for nrf and not get an application confirmation lol do law firms just hate sending me confirmations <3
    I submitted my app at at 11ish and got a confirmation at 12! It was from [email protected]

law2022x

Legendary Member
    Feb 21, 2022
    At what point do we start chasing HogLov? I applied in mid-January…
    i feel like as long as others have also not heard back, which we haven’t, it’s best to just wait… there must be something going on internally and im always bit cautious about inadvertently causing a firm to reject me which is just about my own anxieties but i’d just wait and only contact them once others start hearing back

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    i feel like as long as others have also not heard back, which we haven’t, it’s best to just wait… there must be something going on internally and im always bit cautious about inadvertently causing a firm to reject me which is just about my own anxieties but i’d just wait and only contact them once others start hearing back
    i got rejected a couple of weeks back so that definitely means they're screening apps. good luck to you as i feel no news is good news

Chiddi

Oct 30, 2019
    Try the civil service website for paralegal positions, they tend to hire without experience in the legal industry. From there you can build legal skills and work experience.

Reactions: mp2000

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.