TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

midnightsky990422

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 10, 2023
Huge congrats!!! I hope they send out more batches of invites 🤞 were there a good amount of dates to choose from?
I’m sure they will as I think the TI invites were staggered. They have only given me next Thursday (!!!!) and haven’t mentioned any possibility of changing the date. I mean it’s not totally inconvenient as I’m actually on annual leave next week so don’t have to navigate getting time off work but it’s so short notice and it’s my first ever AC so my brain just feels a bit “AHHHH” hahaha

• 🤝
Reactions: sm99 and SR99

lookingforaTC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2024
I’m sure they will as I think the TI invites were staggered. They have only given me next Thursday (!!!!) and haven’t mentioned any possibility of changing the date. I mean it’s not totally inconvenient as I’m actually on annual leave next week so don’t have to navigate getting time off work but it’s so short notice and it’s my first ever AC so my brain just feels a bit “AHHHH” hahaha
I had my TI last Friday and they said the AC would be 2nd May so there is defo more AC invites

Reactions: Bubbles and SR99

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
What is everyone’s opinion about disclosing personal obstacles/difficulties in certain questions?

I am someone who struggled with social anxiety on the most extreme level throughout uni, which really hindered me.

So I spent a lot of time post-uni working on it and going through hell to get my first few legal experiences. But people who know me now would never believe I was ever socially anxious so I have no shame in talking about my journey and how I got here. I just don’t know if it will paint me in a bad light? Or if it will show my dedication/perseverance?

The only reason I ended up getting over it was because I knew I would never end up in law if I didn’t LOL, it feels quite key to my story 😂

• 🤝
Reactions: legallybrunette8

missingh

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 14, 2022
What is everyone’s opinion about disclosing personal obstacles/difficulties in certain questions?

I am someone who struggled with social anxiety on the most extreme level throughout uni, which really hindered me.

So I spent a lot of time post-uni working on it and going through hell to get my first few legal experiences. But people who know me now would never believe I was ever socially anxious so I have no shame in talking about my journey and how I got here. I just don’t know if it will paint me in a bad light? Or if it will show my dedication/perseverance?

The only reason I ended up getting over it was because I knew I would never end up in law if I didn’t LOL, it feels quite key to my story 😂
hey! first kudos to you for getting through that, its a testament to your perseverance! I'd say you definitely can use that as an example, I would just maybe say beforehand 'would it be okay if i share a personal example with you?' they will most likely say yes! I did the same, for any form of resilience q's I'd use a very personal example of being admitted into hospital and then i had to battling with a long term health condition during uni which led me to almost interrupt my studies. This tends to go down well in interviews and they tend to really appreciate the fact that I have shared with them! So i defo get you there about it feeling key to your story, i'd find it really hard to think of a resilience q's without thinking of the obvious!

• 🏆
Reactions: legallybrunette8 and sm99

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
hey! first kudos to you for getting through that, its a testament to your perseverance! I'd say you definitely can use that as an example, I would just maybe say beforehand 'would it be okay if i share a personal example with you?' they will most likely say yes! I did the same, for any form of resilience q's I'd use a very personal example of being admitted into hospital and then i had to battling with a long term health condition during uni which led me to almost interrupt my studies. This tends to go down well in interviews and they tend to really appreciate the fact that I have shared with them! So i defo get you there about it feeling key to your story, i'd find it really hard to think of a resilience q's without thinking of the obvious!
Amazing thank you so much for your insight!! I never even thought about asking if I can mention something personal, that’s so clever. Hopefully these experiences make us memorable 🤣And sorry to hear about your experience in hospital! 🙏🏼

• 🤝
Reactions: missingh

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
I’ve just received a VS offer and am overjoyed!

I was wondering if anyone has worked out how to navigate accepting an offer when you’re already employed elsewhere? I know it would put me in technical breach of my contract if I don’t inform my employer? Or would it be fine to not disclose this information?

Would anyone have a template email that they would recommend sending to a manager to discuss this? @Jessica Booker

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Just wanted to share that on my third cycle, fourth assessment centre, and however many applications, I have finally secured a VS.

I wouldn’t have been able to do it without this community and how supportive everyone is of each other. Know this is only 50% of the battle (and will still have to get clearance from my employer first 😬) but I’m overjoyed I’m in this position.

If you ever feel like giving up, take it from me: you only need one yes.

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Just wanted to share that on my third cycle, fourth assessment centre, and however many applications, I have finally secured a VS.

I wouldn’t have been able to do it without this community and how supportive everyone is of each other. Know this is only 50% of the battle (and will still have to get clearance from my employer first 😬) but I’m overjoyed I’m in this position.

Congrats! What type of firm if u don't mind me asking (MC/SC/US/large international etc.)

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023

omg so so happy for you!! well done and celebrate this win!

Reactions: laby201

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.