TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

CP2000

Mar 4, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker - I’d really appreciate your advice!

I’ve secured 2 one-week VS: one at firm A starting on 17 June and the other at firm B, which offers two options, starting on either 3 June or 10 June.

I just had an AC with firm C, and if successful, I’d be invited to attend a VS on 3 June. Annoyingly, last week, I mistakenly told firm B that my preferred VS week was 3 June.

What do you think is the best thing to do? Ideally, I’d like to do all 3. Should I ask firm B if they could change my VS to w/c 10 June now, or wait until I hear back from firm C (by the end of May)? Does it look bad if I ask to change due to my mistake, especially for a firm that hasn’t made me an offer?

It also might be worth noting that I could do an AC for direct TC with firm B in late June, but I’m worried this would impact my chances.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - I’d really appreciate your advice!

I’ve secured 2 one-week VS: one at firm A starting on 17 June and the other at firm B, which offers two options, starting on either 3 June or 10 June.

I just had an AC with firm C, and if successful, I’d be invited to attend a VS on 3 June. Annoyingly, last week, I mistakenly told firm B that my preferred VS week was 3 June.

What do you think is the best thing to do? Ideally, I’d like to do all 3. Should I ask firm B if they could change my VS to w/c 10 June now, or wait until I hear back from firm C (by the end of May)? Does it look bad if I ask to change due to my mistake, especially for a firm that hasn’t made me an offer?

It also might be worth noting that I could do an AC for direct TC with firm B in late June, but I’m worried this would impact my chances.
I would wait back to here from firm C before speaking to firm B. And it wasn’t a mistake if you have been offered a conflicting scheme after you have confirmed something. Be mindful that firm B might not be able to move you though, so assuming you receive an offer from firm C, you may have to choose between firms B and C.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
@Jessica Booker

Hi, I was wondering if I could your opinion on this. So I have only secured one vacation scheme this summer so far and I am really keen on the firm. However, I have no idea how many people they will keep on so I don't know if I would be better off making more applications just to be safe? There's a few firms I am kind of interested in (but not massively). Thank you!

CP2000

Mar 4, 2024
I would wait back to here from firm C before speaking to firm B. And it wasn’t a mistake if you have been offered a conflicting scheme after you have confirmed something. Be mindful that firm B might not be able to move you though, so assuming you receive an offer from firm C, you may have to choose between firms B and C.
Thank you for responding! @Jessica Booker

I thought it was a mistake because if I had told firm B my preferred date was 10 June, I could have potentially participated in all three VS.

So do you think it’s better to ask firm B if they could move me later on? I just thought asking now would give them more time to make arrangements (if even possible).

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker

Hi, I was wondering if I could your opinion on this. So I have only secured one vacation scheme this summer so far and I am really keen on the firm. However, I have no idea how many people they will keep on so I don't know if I would be better off making more applications just to be safe? There's a few firms I am kind of interested in (but not massively). Thank you!
Generally I would advise making a broader range of applications. You could always wait until your vacation scheme concludes though to work out if you need to do this or not. If firms’ deadlines are before you would know this, then I’d recommend applying anyway.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Can anyone recommend any resources that would help me understand what a trainee is expected to do in the main departments of a law firm e.g. what are the tasks/what are the main deliverables that are being produced?
    Probably Jake’s book:
    It’s on Amazon too -

gazdgazd11

Feb 27, 2024
    Do you guys think it’s okay to commute from London to reading everyday for a 5 day vacation scheme or too risky with train strikes etc? I’ve never been to reading and not sure how reliable the commute is but I could save money this way

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Do you guys think it’s okay to commute from London to reading everyday for a 5 day vacation scheme or too risky with train strikes etc? I’ve never been to reading and not sure how reliable the commute is but I could save money this way
    It’s fine. I commuted from Northamptonshire into London for two weeks. They might be a slight delay by like 5-10mins on the odd ocasion once you’re on the train, but it’s fine. I wouldn’t worry about it. The services run well. Even with strikes. Not all services are cancelled, they’ll let you know if it is.

Reactions: gazdgazd11

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    You should be fine as the Elizabeth line will run when the trains don’t and vice versa.

Reactions: gazdgazd11

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.