TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hey guys,

I have my first AC/interview on Tuesday and the firm hasn’t provided any info besides there being a ‘general interview’ and ‘skills assessment’.

The firm is smaller, Wedlake Bell, and I can’t find any info at all on previous interviews etc. I’m kinda freaking out because it’ll be my first in person event ever and I have no idea what to expect! So many questions keep racing through my mind: how long should I answer each question for? What’s the skills assessment going to be like?

Does anyone have any tips on what to be aware of and what to do/not to do? - id really appreciate it!

@Jessica Booker @James Carrabino
Hi @CorporateLaw101, congratulations on getting your first AC!! I remember that moment (including the exact day and time 🤣) for me - it is a big step in this process and one that you should be proud of :)

My first tip is not to stress yourself out too much! Make sure you read up well on the firm, including its lawyers, clients and the work it does and prepare some answers about yourself as well as competency answers.

I have written a post here on how to prepare for an AC to a point that should make you feel ready! May I ask what exactly you mean by skills assessment? Is it like an online test?

There is not a lot that I would say not to do, except anything that could be construed as rude or strange in the context... which I am sure you won't :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi! I have a few questions regarding FT article analysis as part of AC. Do you guys have any tips and tricks on how to approach it?

1. If I am given a few minutes to read the article, should I prepared to provide a brief summary at the beginning of the assessment?
2. What should I focus on when reading the article - the main points the author is advancing in the article and explain why it matters? Wider commercial issues? The impact of certain developments on the firm?
3. How should I structure my answer?

Thanks so much! @James Carrabino @AvniD @George Maxwell
Hi @M991, this is an excellent question and you seem to have given yourself a pretty spot on answer as part of your second question 😊

To structure an article interview, I would start by providing an overview of the key issues in my opinion, before explaining the broader significance and the trends that these issues may indicate. Finally, I would say how it might impact a commercial lawyer and the firm in particular!

• Love
  • 🤝
Reactions: GOI983 and M991

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Addleshaw AC!! My only chance left of this cycle at a vacation scheme so if you have any tips I would truly appreciate it! It’s for the london office :)

OC - Final stage AC invite for the Bristol Office :D

NRF assessment centre for summer scheme following TI last week! any help would be appreciated

NRF AC! My first ever AC o_O
Congratulations y'all! Linking some resources for AC prep below should you need it!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
if you panic during a VI, and happen to press stop recording without answering the first question but continue to answer the next 4, how likely is it you’ve been written off the AC list?

…asking for a friend…

😌
I wouldn't think it would necessarily be a write-off but could you e-mail them to let them know that you unintentionally pressed stop recording? They may let you do the first question again

Reactions: A.Diane01

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hiya, I'm just wondering with TC direct apps, when is recommended to submit them? Seeing as the application window is so wide
A lot of direct TC apps with spring/summer deadlines are non-rolling! Because a direct TC interview is the final stage of the process and the firm does not need to onboard candidates to a vac scheme, it is often easier for them to review apps altogether. If it is rolling then the standard as early as possible applies

amzey2

Star Member
Jan 16, 2022
For anyone who previously did 2 or more Vac Schemes in one cycle/is familiar with the matter: can the fact that someone just completed a Vac Scheme prevent the conflict of interests check from being cleared for the upcoming Vac Scheme?
Thx in advance!
@Jessica Booker

CorporateLaw101

Legendary Member
  • Nov 16, 2021
    Hi @CorporateLaw101, congratulations on getting your first AC!! I remember that moment (including the exact day and time 🤣) for me - it is a big step in this process and one that you should be proud of :)

My first tip is not to stress yourself out too much! Make sure you read up well on the firm, including its lawyers, clients and the work it does and prepare some answers about yourself as well as competency answers.

I have written a post here on how to prepare for an AC to a point that should make you feel ready! May I ask what exactly you mean by skills assessment? Is it like an online test?

There is not a lot that I would say not to do, except anything that could be construed as rude or strange in the context... which I am sure you won't :)
    Thanks a lot! I’ll check out that post now.

Unfortunately I genuinely have no idea what is meant by skills assessment. The AC is in person, there is little information in terms of the recruitment cycle anywhere, on the forum or otherwise. I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide insight but Wedlake Bell is scarcely mentioned for some reason.

It literally just says that the day will involve an interview and a skills assessment (2 hours in total).

Reactions: George Maxwell
    D

Deleted member 11671

How important do you think it is to complete a forage virtual experience of the firm you have an upcoming AC for? I understand it shows a further investment in getting to know the firm but its so soon (alongside exams) that I'm stuck for time and would prefer to carry on with the other avenues of research. I'm not actually sure it's even checked and if I'd be asked about it but would love to know anyones thoughts.
    I did a couple of these. It can't hurt but I didn't really mention it much during any interviews.

Reactions: GXA123

ozza989

Jan 16, 2022
    In late October I made the decision to hand in my notice and leave my role as a teacher to pursue a career in Commercial Law.

As a non law grad, I basically knew nothing of the industry. I spent November researching firms and December applying, alongside teaching. I’m happy to say that I received my final PFO last night so the results are in:

12 Apps
    4 AC’s
    2 Offers

Thank you so much for everyone on the forum for your posts and advice! They have been invaluable. You are all awesome.

Now to convert these VS’s into TC’s.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    In late October I made the decision to hand in my notice and leave my role as a teacher to pursue a career in Commercial Law.

As a non law grad, I basically knew nothing of the industry. I spent November researching firms and December applying, alongside teaching. I’m happy to say that I received my final PFO last night so the results are in:

12 Apps
    4 AC’s
    2 Offers

Thank you so much for everyone on the forum for your posts and advice! They have been invaluable. You are all awesome.

Now to convert these VS’s into TC’s.
    This is amazing! Well done ⭐️

Reactions: ozza989 and GXA123

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    With law firms that hold two stage interviews - is the first stage purely to progress to the next or at the end of the two interviews, will your performance be considered holistically? for example if someone did much much better in their first interview and not as well in the second, will that be taken into account or will a VS offer be made only based on the second interview?
    @Jessica Booker - perhaps you could give some insight?? thank you!

Reactions: George Maxwell
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.