Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
Is anyone else feeling a bit annoyed with the VIs? I am sure they are useful tools for the firms to use and choose between the applicants but it's so bizzare that you go through all that application writing process, write paragraphs on why x firm and then the x firm turns around and says, no summarise that in one minute and stare into a tiny white dot on your screen so we can decide if we want to give you a chance. I think I am getting moody because I have had too much to prepare lately 😭 and please no-one tell me why this is a good way for the firm to test how we can think under pressure or be succinct. I am aware. I just wish this isn't how they tested those skills. Also, finding a quiet spot when you live with others and finding a room to record yourself in on campus is a chore and a half.

I don't mean to be negative, but some of these questions are looooong and not something you can properly answer in 60 seconds. So what exactly are they testing? Anyway rant over, I will stop being negative now.

Last edited:

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
Is anyone else feeling a bit annoyed with the VIs? I am sure they are useful tools for the firms to use and choose between the applicants but it's so bizzare that you go through all that application writing process, write paragraphs on why x firm and then the x firm turns around and says, no summarise that in one minute and stare into a tiny white dot on your screen so we can decide if we want to give you a chance. I think I am getting moody because I have had too much to prepare lately 😭 and please no-one tell me why this is a good way for the firm to test how we can think under pressure or be succinct. I am aware. I just wish this isn't how they tested those skills. Also, finding a quiet spot when you live with others and finding a room to record yourself in on campus is a chore and a half.

I don't mean to be negative, but some of these questions are looooong and not something you can properly answer in 60 seconds. So what exactly are they testing? Anyway rant over, I will stop being negative now.
Hit the nail on the head with this post. This whole tc process is only inexplicable.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
For those who have done an AC for Fieldfisher, I suggest checking your application on recruitment portal. Mine said I was "Declined/withdrawn". I did not withdraw my application so I can only assume the former. I have emailed recruitment for more details but I think its a sign of what their decision is. Not for certain but likely.

For more details, I took the AC on the 26th for the diversity scheme in Birmingham. Haven't heard anything since. Pretty sure its cause I fucked up the written assessment (it was too simplistic and I regurgitated the info from the memo) and I waffled on some answers in the interview. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • ℹ️
Reactions: aspiringlawyer47 and SaLM

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 17, 2023
staring at my post-VI reflection in the dimmed laptop screen slackjawed and hollow-eyed after yapping for 10 minutes about my passion and resilience. writing 250 words on how detail oriented i am, and then referring to them as "mayor brown" three different times. repeated watson glaser questions across different firms, answering something different every time. when will this end !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
loop rock GIF by Doze Studio

SaLM

Star Member
Premium Member
Jan 27, 2024
For those who have done an AC for Fieldfisher, I suggest checking your application on recruitment portal. Mine said I was "Declined/withdrawn". I did not withdraw my application so I can only assume the former. I have emailed recruitment for more details but I think its a sign of what their decision is. Not for certain but likely.

For more details, I took the AC on the 26th for the diversity scheme in Birmingham. Haven't heard anything since. Pretty sure its cause I fucked up the written assessment (it was too simplistic and I regurgitated the info from the memo) and I waffled on some answers in the interview. Hope this helps.
Hey thank you for saying this!!! I just checked and mine has been updated to Offer Made (with no formal offer yet!)

To give you some hope this is sometimes a grad rec issue - I had it for my knight frank (non-law) internship application but msg'd grad rec and then progressed to an AC...praying for you 🙏

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.