TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

PFO King

Feb 2, 2024
just got rejected from Macfarlanes post AC, yet to recieve feedback from them. I think my negotiations, interview and casestudy went really well. However, the written exercise was torture i dont think i sufficiently answered the question. Keeping my head up, it was my first AC. Hopefully more to come im still awaiting responses from a few firms post application and and post vi. Fingers crossed!

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Sorry do you mind sharing who the original poster was and what they said? The post has been removed 😕
It was @Penninevalley (think they have since deleted or smth) and they said something about how being a Black influencer on LinkedIn is a law firm’s wet dream suggesting law firms prefer them to help show off the diversity at their firms.

Completely forgetting the fact that the biggest law influencer hired by a law firm is a white woman called Eve. 🤡

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Hi all, has anyone heard anything from:
Bates Wells (Spring Vac Sheme)
TLT (London Office, Summer Vac Scheme)
Penningtons Manches Cooper (London Office, Summer Vac Scheme)
Stephen Harwood (Summer Vac Scheme)
K&L Gates (Summer Vac Scheme)
Arnold & Porter (Summer Vac Scheme)
All post-app
Thank you!
I know someone who has an AC at PMC in a week and a half :) idk if that’s helpful!

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
It was @Penninevalley (think they have since deleted or smth) and they said something about how being a Black influencer on LinkedIn is a law firm’s wet dream suggesting law firms prefer them to help show off the diversity at their firms.

Completely forgetting the fact that the biggest law influencer hired by a law firm is a white woman called Eve. 🤡
It’s really sad when some people believe that ethnic minorities/disadvantaged backgrounds are prioritised by law firm when dishing out TCs.

I recently was at a US law firm for the AC and more than half of candidates there were from Oxbridge. In my group I was the only one not from Oxbridge. I asked them about their professional background and I was told by all of them that they only have extra curricular experience (except one who had a month of work experience somewhere). I was really shocked because on my CV I have a lot of diverse work experiences while some people there showed up only with Oxbridge on CV.

It’s really disappointing when firms first ask for “different skills” etc. And then they invite people to the AC with only “society experience” just cause they went to Oxbridge.

How is a 19 years old with nothing on his CV, other than Oxbridge, a better candidate than a ethnic minority/socially disadvantaged candidate with a lot of skills and work experiences?

Elitism runs deep in the London legal sphere.

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
It’s really sad when some people believe that ethnic minorities/disadvantaged backgrounds are prioritised by law firm when dishing out TCs.

I recently was at a US law firm for the AC and more than half of candidates there were from Oxbridge. In my group I was the only one not from Oxbridge. I asked them about their professional background and I was told by all of them that they only have extra curricular experience (except one who had a month of work experience somewhere). I was really shocked because on my CV I have a lot of diverse work experiences while some people there showed up only with Oxbridge on CV.

It’s really disappointing when firms first ask for “different skills” etc. And then they invite people to the AC with only “society experience” just cause they went to Oxbridge.

How is a 19 years old with nothing on his CV, other than Oxbridge, a better candidate than a ethnic minority/socially disadvantaged candidate with a lot of skills and work experiences?

You/We should be proud of ourselves that we made it to the same position despite not having their background! Sometimes having that chip on my shoulder makes me more determined... I don't come from a family where commercial discussions about the economy were commonplace, rather immigrant parents who worked immensely hard. Yet I still made it to the interview alongside oxbridge candidates. As for the law firm in question, i would be very put off if they were only hiring from a select few "type" of people... name and shame I would say 😂

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023

I agree with the sentiment entirely, but there are also many, many BAME, disabled and working class Oxbridge candidates I’ve met at ACs -- and at large.

There’s a moral and cultural imperative for greater diversity at all levels of the hiring and recruitment process (as a lgbtq+ poc myself), but I don't think Oxbridge entails an inherent lack of diversity -- though its institutional dominance is something that is obviously worth interrogating.

Again, I agree but, respectfully, I do think it needs more nuance.

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
Oct 27, 2023

They are thinking of their clients. If they take Oxbridge, MIT, and Harvard graduates to a client meeting it looks more favourable for them in the pitch against other law firms. Would they really take 100% non-Oxbridge, like Uni of East London and Middlesex, I really don't think so. There has been a push for more diversity, but more is 1 or 2, they will not upset their status quo. Yes they will invite more to ACs, the vacation schemes etc, and maybe even take one or two for a TC, but in the long term, they know what they are after....I genuinely think law firms spend soo much money on diversity and inclusion, but its all just an illusion to appear more diverse. I would rather they did not, and instead hired a few more 'diverse' candidates for a TC and let them go at the end. At least that way they can make their own way in life.

Firms are seeing DEI as a badge of honour, but its not... It just shows how non-inclusive the firms are. I dont see TfL or the NHS doing DEI, because they have no need to. When will law firms get to the stage that they dont need DEI because its just there:rolleyes:

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I also don't know if I should start preparing for the initial interview now. Just because I think my VI responses (given I had to say something within 60 seconds lol for 2 very generic questions) were pretty good. Also, I don't know what the assessment criteria for VI is.

• 🏆
Reactions: Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.