TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    falling into the category of people who choose not to drink, this is a massive worry for me yk I always think about these massive socials they have and how it’ll actually affect my chances to network 😭😭
    I would try a be a little street-smart about it. At a networking event, if you have a zero alcohol beer in a glass, other people won't think twice and sub-consciously assume you are drinking alcohol. Same for a glass of (just) tonic water with a lemon in.

ab01

Star Member
  • Jan 23, 2021
    Like what you’ve said. Super interesting. Are there any firms you think have “worked well” with diversity? From your experiences and friends of course.

From what I’ve gathered the firms with bigger cohorts and “reputation” tend to do better. In terms of having a good amount and a strong approach for wellbeing.
    From my own experience, FF and CC - are great firms in terms of diversity.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When expressing why you want to work for a US firm what do you guys say/suggest is good? I’m struggling to make the firm stand out and I don’t want my answer to sound like it could be for any US firm…

@Jessica Booker any suggestions:)
    Do you mean answering “why this firm” when it is a US firm or answering “why a US firm” question?

aniraz

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 14, 2022
    Great points! To elaborate further, I recently graduated from Cambridge university, also I have been private schooled too - however, I do not see myself as more capable than someone who is of a BAME background.

I know many of my friends who are of a BAME background unfortunately were ghosted in rooms full of partners and associates when they attended ACs or legal events at university. Partners would only speak to people of their choice, and I did call out a partner because of his actions, of why he spoke to me and not my friend.

I agree, Slaughters is a firm known for this. I completed a VS with them, and most of the people on the scheme were white. Also, in terms of their associates and partners they are all white coloured to say the least lol!

However, I do know currently there is 1 Asian and 1 Black trainee.. who they would push in front to show they are very “diverse” although that is not the case!

Despite some trainees may be of a BAME background at these firms, when the time comes to being promoted or being in important client meetings, they are the ones hidden in the back, whereas their white colleagues are pushed in front! I have spoken to many qualified associates and trainees at legal fairs to know this!!!

It’s absolutely ridiculous! But I guess the “legal sector” will always remain for the elite, despite the attempts of law firms saying they are becoming “very diverse”!!’
    Agree with everything you've said. I also did a VS with Slaughters and it was a very interesting experience... over half of the cohort were Oxbridge (which was funny because they made a massive deal about how they don't care what university you go to) and friends on the scheme experienced being left out/basically ignored in conversations because everyone else were talking about colleges etc

We also had a talk from someone very senior, white and male, in the firm who talked about how there was no hierearchy because he was called into a partner's office and asked to join the company jazz band (I think the irony of this was lost on him..)

The scheme was also during social mobility month which Slaughters made a MASSIVE deal out of. However most socially mobile vac schemers were not offered a TC (same with most of the ethnic minority vac schemers). I also asked during the D&I talk why the firm chose not to do university-blind recruiting and they gave some confusing excuses and said about how things have improved a lot, I was thinking erm a team at Slaughters literally stays at an Oxford college every year but ok

This isn't even everything that happened lol but Slaughters was an interesting experience...

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you for your response soo late on a Sunday!

I was going to answer “why a US firm“ in my ”why this firm“ question when asked in an interview. it was going to be 1 of my 3 points
    I don’t think you need to do this. I would just focus on why the firm rather than trying to explain why a US firm.

• 🤝
    Reactions: atlas2425 and Legalstalker

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 1, 2023
    For people who have completed the Mishcon VI, was it hard or were the questions fairly generic? xx
    I don't think they were too difficult. Personal strengths, character and one company type question. The time limit got me on the first question though so be mindful it's only 60 seconds.

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    I don't think they were too difficult. Personal strengths, character and one company type question. The time limit got me on the first question though so be mindful it's only 60 seconds.
    Thank you so so much, that's super helpful. I think I am nervous about non-firm related commercial awareness questions coming up. I am comfortable speaking about the firm's work and I am aware of a few commercial trends that may affect the firm specifically or their clients, but I am not prepared for commercial awareness questions outside of that. Should I be fine or would you recommend more preparation?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I recommend people create a new thread in the general discussions section of the forum if they want to keep on the diversity conversation. This thread is continually being taken off on a tangent and it stops the thread's purpose, which is for people to discuss application and recruitment processes for vacation schemes.

I would also recommend that people are mindful of the accusations they make and the language they use. Some of the comments in the last hour (which I have had to remove) are unfounded accusations using unnecessary and imflammatory language.

Elmiro

Standard Member
    Feb 11, 2024
    I agree, Slaughters is a firm known for this. I completed a VS with them, and most of the people on the scheme were white. Also, in terms of their associates and partners they are all white coloured to say the least lol!
    Why is it a shock to the system that Slaughter's vacation scheme consisted predominantly of white students, especially considering that white people account for roughly 80% of the UK population? I think we can have a legitimate conversation regarding representation, but I'm keen to understand what a perfectly representative vacation scheme, in your opinion, would have looked like. I think this conversation will only be meaningful if we define the metric by which we judge representation. If the metric is the general UK population, then having a VS consisting of over 50% white students is a perfectly representative one. If the metric is London, which has a 36% white population, then we can begin to say that white students on the VS are over-represented. In any case, there is still the question of why a VS demographic should be artificially made to represent a wider population.

Edit: In response to the moderator comment, they're right - my 36% stat only accounts for the White Brit population, the general White population in London could be anything near 50%, but my overarching point still stands > new thread for this here

Moderator - statistics relating to the White population of London are incorrect and only factor in the 'White British' population of London.

Last edited:

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 1, 2023
    Thank you so so much, that's super helpful. I think I am nervous about non-firm related commercial awareness questions coming up. I am comfortable speaking about the firm's work and I am aware of a few commercial trends that may affect the firm specifically or their clients, but I am not prepared for commercial awareness questions outside of that. Should I be fine or would you recommend more preparation?
    If you get a similar question to mine you should be perfectly fine ;) I think at this stage they are still assessing your knowledge of the firm, its values, clients, deals etc.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Miss Chocolate

JacksonRJC

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2023
    It’s really sad when some people believe that ethnic minorities/disadvantaged backgrounds are prioritised by law firm when dishing out TCs.

I recently was at a US law firm for the AC and more than half of candidates there were from Oxbridge. In my group I was the only one not from Oxbridge. I asked them about their professional background and I was told by all of them that they only have extra curricular experience (except one who had a month of work experience somewhere). I was really shocked because on my CV I have a lot of diverse work experiences while some people there showed up only with Oxbridge on CV.

It’s really disappointing when firms first ask for “different skills” etc. And then they invite people to the AC with only “society experience” just cause they went to Oxbridge.

How is a 19 years old with nothing on his CV, other than Oxbridge, a better candidate than a ethnic minority/socially disadvantaged candidate with a lot of skills and work experiences?

Elitism runs deep in the London legal sphere.
    Which US law firm was this ?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Any thoughts as to the main commercial trends affecting law firms today? Main points I can think of are AI, but would definitely appreciate more insight!
    - Interest rates
    - ESG
    - Private equity changes (fundraising and structuring)
    - UK election + international conflicts

These are the only ones I could think off the top of my head!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Any thoughts as to the main commercial trends affecting law firms today? Main points I can think of are AI, but would definitely appreciate more insight!
    Here are some articles that might be worth a read to consider the answer to this question. I would make sure your answer is more tailored to the type of firm you are applying to though:

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 1, 2023
    Why is it a shock to the system that Slaughter's vacation scheme consisted predominantly of white students, especially considering that white people account for roughly 80% of the UK population? I think we can have a legitimate conversation regarding representation, but I'm keen to understand what a perfectly representative vacation scheme, in your opinion, would have looked like. I think this conversation will only be meaningful if we define the metric by which we judge representation. If the metric is the general UK population, then having a VS consisting of over 50% white students is a perfectly representative one. If the metric is London, which has a 36% white population, then we can begin to say that white students on the VS are over-represented. In any case, there is still the question of why a VS demographic should be artificially made to represent a wider population.

Edit: In response to the moderator comment, they're right - my 36% stat only accounts for the White Brit population, the general White population in London could be anything near 50%, but my overarching point still stands.

Moderator - statistics relating to the White population of London are incorrect and only factor in the 'White British' population of London.
    Welcome to the TCLA forum! As this is your first post you may not be aware that the moderators have asked to move diversity discussion to a new thread. Feel free to start one and once again a warm welcome!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.