TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

trackstar1364

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre and anyone else that could offer advice:

I've been lucky enough to receive vacation schemes at both Skadden and Weil. I've already booked my spring scheme for Skadden and found out today that I got on the Weil spring scheme.

The GR at Weil told me that they could move me to summer, but they would prefer it if I completed the Spring scheme; because of this, I am considering asking Skadden if I could be moved to a summer scheme.

How do I go about asking Skadden if I could potentially be moved from the Spring scheme to a Summer one?

These are both firms that I am highly interested in, but want to ensure that I am not negatively interacting with the firms/they understand that I am not choosing one over the other.

Do let me know and I appreciate any advice anyone has <3

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022

I've been lucky enough to receive vacation schemes at both Skadden and Weil. I've already booked my spring scheme for Skadden and found out today that I got on the Weil spring scheme.

The GR at Weil told me that they could move me to summer, but they would prefer it if I completed the Spring scheme; because of this, I am considering asking Skadden if I could be moved to a summer scheme.

How do I go about asking Skadden if I could potentially be moved from the Spring scheme to a Summer one?

These are both firms that I am highly interested in, but want to ensure that I am not negatively interacting with the firms/they understand that I am not choosing one over the other.

What a lovely problem to have!! Congrats 🥳

trackstar1364

Premium Member
Nov 30, 2023
oh and also Shearman PFO!!!!!

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023

Congratulations!

IMO Weil have already revealed their hand stating they could move you to the summer scheme. Assuming you've told them it's because it clashes with your VS offer from another firm they are OK with it. In the meantime, Skadden are none the wiser.

Personally I would keep it that way and give myself two shots at converting a VS to TC, especially given that you're interested in both firms. That's just what I would do. Good luck!

Futuretrainee!1!1

Oct 21, 2023

Hi! I am in this exact position, well I was recently, and I think you should email Weil and be really really nice and I am sure they will let you (BUT I would email really quickly in case someone else gets in first and fills it. I also do not think i it will reflect on you badly if you say you have a scheme that clashes; if anything it makes you look more desirable and they know people apply to lots of places!!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

Hey @trackstar1364,

First of all congratulations on securing both vacation schemes, those are amazing firms and you should be so proud of you!

Since you already asked Weil, I would just ask them to move you as if they did not want to move you they would have said it but they confirmed that they would do it regardless of how they might feel. I am sure it is fine to move as it happens all the time. That is what I would do personally.

Congratulations once again and good luck with the schemes!

Reactions: atlas2425

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi! I am in this exact position, well I was recently, and I think you should email Weil and be really really nice and I am sure they will let you (BUT I would email really quickly in case someone else gets in first and fills it. I also do not think i it will reflect on you badly if you say you have a scheme that clashes; if anything it makes you look more desirable and they know people apply to lots of places!!
@trackstar1364 I totally agree with this too!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - I have an AC on Monday Morning (in-person) but I'm not feeling well atm. Would it be best to let the firm know now or wait it out over the weekend? I don't want to miss out on doing the AC but I also don't think it fair to GR if I cancel at the last minute...
Do you think you will still be unwell on Monday?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would it be unwise to ask questions in an AC interview regarding the firms recent redundancies? The firm asked us not to mention it in the Q&A with trainees on the open day - I wonder if it would be respected or better left unsaid
I would try to spin the question in a more positive or subtle way. For instance, rather than directly asking about redundancies you can ask something about the firm’s future talent plans.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
@Jessica Booker I saw you answer how to approach "tell us about something that excites you" and you emphasised the fact it doesn't need to be legal, or commercial, and they make that quite clear in the phrasing.

Would it seem disingenuous to talk about something relevant to the firm's key practice areas and the legal market? It is something I am actually genuinely interested in, and have done lots of research on before, but I don't want to seem uninteresting, as I imagine lots of other applications are about more exciting topics outside of law and stand out to grad recruitment.

Reactions: axelbeugre

vecna

Standard Member
Jan 9, 2024
If anyone could help me on this I'd really appreciate it: I received a vac scheme offer over the phone two days ago, and in my application I said either June or July would be fine, but due to some family circumstances I would much prefer doing it in June. Should I wait for a formal email confirming dates and then respond to that or should I pre-emptively email the grad team? And would this come across as rude/inconvenient? Thank you :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.