TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica
I applied for VS and TC for a firm together - I was rejected for the VS and am awaiting a response for the TC post-app although I don't think I have good chances. The applications for TC are still open - would it be possible for me to withdraw my application and send in a new one?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it appropriate to bring a general table or key considerations notes to a case study preparation, or does it give a bad impression? I've never used notes in an AC before, as I know that bringing notes about motivation or personal details might seem inauthentic. However, what about for the case study? I don't know the specifics of the upcoming case study, but I've prepared some general notes that were helpful during an online case study with Hogan Lovells, as I could refer to them to identify key issues. What about doing something similar in person? The notes are just one and a half pages, so it's not excessive. But I’m not too sure…

@Jessica Booker I would also like to know your opinion about this, please!
Generally they will say you can’t bring materials into the case study as a matter of fairness to all candidates.

All the necessary information should be in the brief/case study itself, so you shouldn’t need any notes.

• ℹ️
Reactions: bella98

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone, I have a bit of a problem it would be great to get some advice on! So I’ve been offered a Vacation Scheme in Leeds. When I applied I had the full intention of staying in Leeds for the foreseeable future, but now my circumstances have changed and I have moved to London. I know that regional firms don’t like it when you ask to transfer to London but I’m wondering is it worth asking? Of course if they say I can’t do the VS in London, I will still do it in Leeds. But if I even ask about transferring to London will that give me a bad reputation ? Do you think there is a possibility they could put me on the London VS instead or is this going to be an absolute no?
There is no harm in asking and I am sure you will not decrease your chances of converting. I do understand these concerns as those were the same concerns I had when I got my first vacation scheme offers, I thought that if I was asking something important to graduate recruitment, that would have reflected negatively and ultimately I would have not got an offer.

However, I can assure you that graduate recruitment is very understanding of everything that candidates go through and there is no harm in asking. Worse case scenario they will say no but this will have no implications or will not affect your chances of securing a spot in their training contract cohort, do not worry!

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
For Mayer Brown, can I take a break between the SJT and the verbal reasoning test? I just finished the SJT and have yet to click start on the verbal reasoning. But if I come back later to finish it and not close the page, will it still be there? Or will some timeout thing happen?

Reactions: tcplease2345

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.