TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
I was just asked in an interview a time I dealt with conflict in a team - what sort of conflict are they looking for?

I said where I disagreed with another team member over an idea about a small business I run. I mentioned how I convinced them why my strategy was better and why and trying to resolve this amicably was the reason for success. Is that a weak answer? @Jessica Booker

holz567

Star Member
Feb 18, 2024
This is more for future reference as I've completed my interview now but I was asked as a two point question "why commercial law and specifically why this firm?"

As I didn't want to ramble on and give 3 points for each, I cut it down to 2 for each point. Should I have just given all three? I was worried about speaking for too long, or will it not really have made too much of a difference?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica, I've been worrying about it :)

I know it will really depend, but what are the main things interviewers will look for when determining an outcome? Is it confidence? Quality of answers? Or is it often just how you compare to other candidates?
It will be down to the quality of your answers, but in part that is how you deliver them too.

Reactions: amy2002

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was just asked in an interview a time I dealt with conflict in a team - what sort of conflict are they looking for?

I said where I disagreed with another team member over an idea about a small business I run. I mentioned how I convinced them why my strategy was better and why and trying to resolve this amicably was the reason for success. Is that a weak answer? @Jessica Booker
Doesn’t sounds like it - sounds like you answered the question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This is more for future reference as I've completed my interview now but I was asked as a two point question "why commercial law and specifically why this firm?"

As I didn't want to ramble on and give 3 points for each, I cut it down to 2 for each point. Should I have just given all three? I was worried about speaking for too long, or will it not really have made too much of a difference?
Two points for each is fine. There are set numbers for these things.

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
I had an interview today, and I feel as if I completely blew it.

I prepared as best as I could but my nerves got in the way, I stumbled through answers, quite a few "umms" and I tacked on "why this would be relevant as a trainee" to the end of each answer. How much will nerves factor into any decision? I didn't feel as if my answers were even particularly bad, just nerves got in the way and it looked like I lacked confidence.

Any thoughts @Jessica Booker?

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Pheebs22

Mar 16, 2024
Hi all,

I’m reflecting on my performance post AC and am unable to get a specific question out of my mind.

I was asked what problems are our clients facing, and I just completely blanked. I’d prepared the question and if asked afterwards, I could do it no problem but here I just want “unmm” for about 10 seconds and then said “high interest rates would impact clients as it’s more expensive to borrow money, which means less willingness to do deals”.

That was it. We moved on and the rest of the interview was fine but am I right to consider it as good as done at that?

Feel so upset and like I’ve blown it on that one question. Any thoughts @Jessica Booker and if it’s a dealbreaker?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I’m reflecting on my performance post AC and am unable to get a specific question out of my mind.

I was asked what problems are our clients facing, and I just completely blanked. I’d prepared the question and if asked afterwards, I could do it no problem but here I just want “unmm” for about 10 seconds and then said “high interest rates would impact clients as it’s more expensive to borrow money, which means less willingness to do deals”.

That was it. We moved on and the rest of the interview was fine but am I right to consider it as good as done at that?

Feel so upset and like I’ve blown it on that one question. Any thoughts @Jessica Booker and if it’s a dealbreaker?
It’s one answer to one question, possibly in one of multiple assessments.

Candidates tend to fixate on the things they think went wrong and then over analyse it, and even misinterpret what the interaction was.

This issue seems to be a common theme in the forums at the moment and I sense other posts are then contributing to others questioning what happened in their interview. I don’t think this is helpful to anyone.

My advice for this whole process is focus on what you can control rather than what you cannot. You cannot control something that has already happened, but what you can control is how you move forward from it or learn from the situation. The best way to do this is to think about what you do differently if presented with that question again, rather than worrying what as interview may or may not have thought (which you have no control over).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.