TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

l789

Aug 19, 2020
I didn't apply to their December Open Day.
Thanks for the information.
If I don't get anything this cycle, I will certainly apply to attend their next one.
Ok, I’m out volunteering atm but will send you over my notes once I get home- I took ALOT of notes

Also just checking but do you know what’s happening with Latham first year scheme. I haven’t heard back yet and really really really am hoping for a place

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
I have a good friend who failed SQE last year and they were offered a second attempt!

Seems unfair to me to allow 2nd attempt one year and revoke TC offer the next year.
I hope they are at least reviewing second attempts holistically for each individual person then! I still think it’s a crazy stance to take given the SQE is holding you at NQ level compared to the LPC.

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
Just wanna say to anyone who has been rejected post-AC, once the initial disappointment wears off, to take some time to evaluate the experience. I’ve reached ACs with certain firms like CMS before and wasn’t successful - but ahead of finding that out, I knew it wasn’t the right firm for me just based on how I felt in the process. The ac being a two way street thing is so so true. You definitely get a feel / sense of a firm by how they treat you in the AC and how the interview goes, so don’t take that for granted. I reached AC with CMS twice and they encouraged me to reapply but I never have and never will, because now 2 years on, from having a few more experiences I know exactly what I value in firms and I’ve had such a shift in the firms that I apply to, and CMS does not fit that criteria for me anymore (and I don’t think it ever did)

I think a lot of people get wrapped up in certain prestige and by what everyone else judges the “perfect” firm to be but everyone’s checklists are different so don’t get sweeped up in that. I’m doing much better this cycle now that I’ve taken some time to really think logistically through my choices and look into other firms that I used to close off, because I used to think they weren’t “prestige” enough. Hope that ramble makes sense :)

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
Is anyone stilling waiting for W/C post VI. It’s been 6 weeks for me I’m assuming pfo now .
I'm waiting -- other people ik have been rejected in the meantime -- and someone ik in year above at uni who got tc last year had to wait over a month to be invited to AC so I really wouldn't give it too much thought -- doesn't make sense to assume a pfo when you haven't actually received the email because if they weren't still considering the app they'd just reject you

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
Does anyone know if law firms have/will be willing to still let graduates sit the LPC over the SQE for TCs 2024 and beyond?

If I was successful this cycle, I would much prefer to do the LPC as I am still applying for traditional training contracts.. so it shouldn’t make the world of difference?

Reactions: axelbeugre

hungry_for_TC

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 2, 2021
I do think that having vacation schemes in your experiences does help you when applying for direct training contracts but it does not mean that if you do not have them, you will not be successful. I know people with no legal experience whatsoever who were successful in securing training contract offers.
Hey Axel, can you give more information on this? I have one VS from my first cycle, this is my second and I've missed VS deadlines for personal reasons but TC deadlines are still open. Don't have loads of legal experience except a couple of internships during uni (I'm 24) and finished the PGDL last August. Do you think it'd be OK for me to apply to TCs with just one commercial law VS?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know if law firms have/will be willing to still let graduates sit the LPC over the SQE for TCs 2024 and beyond?

If I was successful this cycle, I would much prefer to do the LPC as I am still applying for traditional training contracts.. so it shouldn’t make the world of difference?
I have been asked this a lot in recent days.

The thing I would stress is that it’s not easy for law firms to run two qualification systems. There is also much more regulation and compulsory training (at cost) to the law firm on the LPC route, which isn’t needed with the SQE. It’s much easier to provide that training on mass than it is for individual trainees.

It ultimately means that firms may choose to still put people through the SQE and if anyone chooses the LPC for them to still ask trainees to do SQE2.

There are very few non law grads who can do the LPC route now and the vast majority of law students graduating after this summer won’t be able to the LPC. So for any firms recruiting 2026 or later intakes, most candidates would have to do the SQE, which is why many firms have already transferred across.

You can ask, and there will be firms willing to make exceptions. But many others won’t for the reasons I have outlined above.

Reactions: Jaysen and sm99

sm99

Distinguished Member
Feb 5, 2020
I have been asked this a lot in recent days.

The thing I would stress is that it’s not easy for law firms to run two qualification systems. There is also much more regulation and compulsory training (at cost) to the law firm on the LPC route, which isn’t needed with the SQE. It’s much easier to provide that training on mass than it is for individual trainees.

It ultimately means that firms may choose to still put people through the SQE and if anyone chooses the LPC for them to still ask trainees to do SQE2.

There are very few non law grads who can do the LPC route now and the vast majority of law students graduating after this summer won’t be able to the LPC. So for any firms recruiting 2026 or later intakes, most candidates would have to do the SQE, which is why many firms have already transferred across.

You can ask, and there will be firms willing to make exceptions. But many others won’t for the reasons I have outlined above.
Thank you for explaining. This helps… I would rather try my chances with the LPC & SQE2 rather than the whole thing in all honesty.

It’s worth asking if I reach that point I guess

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for explaining. This helps… I would rather try my chances with the LPC & SQE2 rather than the whole thing in all honesty.

It’s worth asking if I reach that point I guess
Be prepared to self fund the LPC if that is the case. I don’t know any firms that are offering LPC sponsorship anymore as it is typically more expensive than some SQE courses.

Reactions: sm99

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.