TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lookingforaTC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2024
Self funding has been something many people have done for many decades and even pre SQE. At the same time many do choose to sit it out and wait for sponsorship - I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer here as success (and failure) can be seen in both routes.

It is very much an individual decision on whether to invest in self funding or sitting it out and waiting for sponsorship. I think you have to look at your profile, the firms you are aiming for, if doing the course/assessments is going to add to your profile (for instance they may if you have weaker academics compared to someone who has stellar academics).
I will probably scrape a 2.1 to be honest. Poor second year grades but all of my third year grades should be 2.1 (low-mid). In this situation, would doing the SQE be worth it to boost my chances of an AC? I feel the SQE is very different from university and closer to GCSE/A-Level and I am confident I can excel in it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I will probably scrape a 2.1 to be honest. Poor second year grades but all of my third year grades should be 2.1 (low-mid). In this situation, would doing the SQE be worth it to boost my chances of an AC? I feel the SQE is very different from university and closer to GCSE/A-Level and I am confident I can excel in it.
I don’t think the SQE is comparable to GCSE or A-levels - I have never heard it described this way anyway.

I don’t think it will directly improve your chances of securing an AC as so much more goes into an application, but it may help contribute to securing one.

lookingforaTC

Star Member
Feb 16, 2024
I don’t think the SQE is comparable to GCSE or A-levels - I have never heard it described this way anyway.

I don’t think it will directly improve your chances of securing an AC as so much more goes into an application, but it may help contribute to securing one.
Yeah sorry I meant GCSE/A-Level is basically a memory test and university (at least for me) has been the complete opposite. Many people say SQE is a memory test also. Weird comparison without context I guess but that is what I meant. So in what would you say it help to contribute to improve my chances?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah sorry I meant GCSE/A-Level is basically a memory test and university (at least for me) has been the complete opposite. Many people say SQE is a memory test also. Weird comparison without context I guess but that is what I meant. So in what would you say it help to contribute to improve my chances?
I don’t think the SQE is purely a memory test. You definitely need a good memory but you will still need the analytical skills developed from a degree. There is also a very strong correlation between degree performance and SQE pass rates.

It is really difficult to advise on what will contribute to chances as this can vary a lot from candidate to candidate.

Generally, anything that will aid self development and growth of key skills will be helpful though - but this can be done through work experience, further studies, research into the career, or just taking on responsbilities.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
does anyone have a draft email accepting a VS offer that I can steal? Pls PM if so, thanks!
There is no need to over think this. But some key things to include (in as brief way as possible)

- Thank them
- detail how you have received the offer or date of the offer letter
- confirm the dates of the scheme you are able to attend
- explain you are delighted to accept (or similar phrasing - use words you would use!)
- say you look forward to receiving further details (if required)
- include any further information explicitly stated in your offer documents that they have said you need to include when accepting (eg if they have asked your for scheme date preferences or department).

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    "do you know the role of commercial solicitors in facilitating an M&A transaction?" no but i know kindness. i know friendship. i know love. i know how to see the world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower. i know how to hold infinity in the palm of my hand and eternity in an hour.
    ThErE iS nO WrOnG AnSwEr 😅

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    womble bomble dombleson
    Received my Pomble Fomble Ombleson.......

Cope U Mad GIF by Pudgy Memez

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.