TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
How do I frame an application for a firm that I didn't get past the AC for? This wasn't the final round (I know that they don't consider people for don't make it past the final interview) but at the same time I am worried they won't consider me because they already tested me and all the people I knew on the AC were first-time applicants. Should I mention in my cover letter how I have improved since then or just phrase it like a normal cover letter without mentioning the AC. The AC did give me good insights into the firm.

Gday33

Apr 21, 2024
How do I frame an application for a firm that I didn't get past the AC for? This wasn't the final round (I know that they don't consider people for don't make it past the final interview) but at the same time I am worried they won't consider me because they already tested me and all the people I knew on the AC were first-time applicants. Should I mention in my cover letter how I have improved since then or just phrase it like a normal cover letter without mentioning the AC. The AC did give me good insights into the firm.
It could be worth framing it from the approach of ‘I’m still committed to this firm which is why I’ve applied again’? If you got insights the first time around I would definitely mention those, along with anything ‘new’ since your last application to show development

Reactions: LillyandSilver

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I live about an hours commute from London and was thinking about staying at home for a vac scheme, starting in 2 weeks, it’s at a US firm, do you think that would be wise to do? Or would travel have any impact on me
I think an hour is a reasonable commute - many vac schemers will do longer commutes than that.

As long as trains run late for any evening social events, an hour will be fine.

Reactions: NJS

LillyandSilver

Distinguished Member
Oct 18, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker, I live about an hours commute from London and was thinking about staying at home for a vac scheme, starting in 2 weeks, it’s at a US firm, do you think that would be wise to do? Or would travel have any impact on me
I did work experience in London an hour away on the train last summer. My advice would be to start going to bed early now and be overly cautious on the first day. That way you know if it actually is an hour and which trains are best to get. I got in an hour early on the first day and realised the next day I could get a later train and be fine. Always best to be early rather than late and it is appreciated, plus you get more time to speak to people who haven't yet started working.

R051E

Standard Member
Feb 4, 2024
I have secured a vacation scheme at a firm for 2 weeks in June and have just had an invite for an AC at a different firm that is during those 2 weeks. Would I be effecting my chances with the firm I have the scheme with to ask if I can have the day off for an AC? Don't want to decrease my chances of going on to secure a TC but also don't want to let the AC go as it is for a direct TC. Any thoughts would be appreciated :) @Jessica Booker

AS24

Apr 16, 2024
Hi, @Jessica Booker,

I trust you are well.

I am completing an application and need to answer this question 'What was a time you weren’t able to deliver on a promise and how did you deal with it?' I am trying to understand what is the question asking and do you think I can use a personal example?
Thank you in advance.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.