Hearing Back From Law Firms, Assessment Centres and Interview Tips - 2020 +

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Jaysen, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden Legendary Member
    TCLA Contributor

TCLA Credits:
    Yeah I would put that in your work experience. If there's a particular achievement you have associated with your e-commerce business or a particular challenge you faced which you overcame, you could then mention that specific point in the first question I'd say but otherwise put it in your work experience as @Jessica Booker says

2. _adilyaqoob

_adilyaqoob Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Does anyone know how to best prepare for a virtual assessment centre?

3. LawDudeForce

LawDudeForce Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    Bright Network is doing a seminar this Wednesday

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    will be writing something on this! Sorry for the delay.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. _adilyaqoob

_adilyaqoob Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you both, will look into BrightNetwork's seminar for the time being as well as read up on commercial news/negotiation/drafting etc :)

6. LawDudeForce

TCLA Credits:
    I know it is the first time it is being done like this, but it would be great if you could give advice on how to approach an online vacation scheme that will include partner interviews.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. thecorporatelawyer

thecorporatelawyer Valued Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yes I essentially wanted to speak about how it was a huge achievement, and I certainly had challenges to get the success I did, so I felt it would be nice to go into more detail outside of work experience. Hoping talking about this in the first question will be fine, as the question seems very specific.

8. S87

S87 Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    So what I would do is to put your interest in e-commerce among your non-academic interest. For example, I said that I am interested in music..I am an avid music collector and this has allowed me to create a group where we exchange material across different countries. Plus, from a simple passion I have transformed it into a "legal passion" and moved to study the wider implication of the music and pop industry with copyright and IPO implications and this has allowed me to set-up a business plan for a company through the use of music platforms and social media. Plus, in the section why this firm I have mentioned my passion and how this pushed me to take a work experience where I compared the National legislation on copyright against the one in the US. Finally, in my work section I explained about my business.

Basically, I created a narrative for the recruiter so it is also easier to understand why that firm.

This is my 2 cent and might be wrong so take it with a pinch of salt!

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. thecorporatelawyer

TCLA Credits:
    This is so great thank you so much!

10. Daniel Boden

TCLA Contributor

TCLA Credits:
    In that case, I would mention one of those challenges you overcame and talk about that in the question using the STAR/CAR method

11. LawDudeForce

TCLA Credits:
    In regards to CAR, there is a CARL method my advisor told me about which adds “Learning”. I think it’s an interesting addition.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Your interests in no way have to be connected to law. In fact, there’s probably a lot more demand for them to be completely unconnected

13. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I’d personally avoid using STAR/CAR/CARL I’m this type of question - you won’t have the word count for it. If you are going to add in your e commerce business to this section, it can literally be as short as: For the last 2 years, I have run an e-commerce business selling fashion goods. The business turns over £1,000 profit per annum.

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. thecorporatelawyer

TCLA Credits:
    Great thanks! Do you think it would hinder my application not having any huge academic achievements or academic prizes?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daniel Boden

TCLA Contributor

TCLA Credits:
    No because they are only included in the question as suggestions or potential options that you could choose :)

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. Daniel Boden

TCLA Contributor

TCLA Credits:
    Hi guys,

I hope everyone is safe and well and coping okay with the circumstances of COVID-19! Fingers crossed we're not too far away from restrictions being lifted a little more!

Apologies for my inactivity over the last few months - I was just finishing my dissertation and sending in my last ever university essays (still a very weird sentence for me to type) the last of which I submitted on Friday so I am officially all done! :D

Obviously now I have a lot of free time on my hands before I start my vacation scheme with Gibson Dunn and so the main reason for this post is to felt that I'd offer to help anyone with any burning questions or issues they may have, be it about applications or commercial awareness or a combination of the two!

I've got a few ideas of how I'm going to be preparing for my upcoming scheme and would be happy to share any tips based on my experience at Weil last summer and my successes this cycle (particularly with US firms) if that'd be of interest to people? Let me know :)

Thanks guys and all the best with your applications and any university/law school exams you may have left!

Dan :)

EDIT: I am delighted to announce that I have taken on a more formal role with TCLA but now ask that if you have a question to please post it somewhere in the forum and then I will answer so everyone can benefit in case they have the same questions :)

#2096 Daniel Boden, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  17. S87

S87 Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    This is so nice. I am going to annoy you later for an advice.
    By the way, I am really enjoying the PE course on Coursera.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. MarathonNotaSprint

MarathonNotaSprint Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Shoosmiths are sending out 'next stage' emails today. Best of luck to everyone that applied.

#2098 MarathonNotaSprint, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. S87

S87 Legendary Member

TCLA Credits:
    I just received an email from pinsent and they said that will send a response shortly. Best of the best of luck to everyone who has applied :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. SLKEJRWOI97

SLKEJRWOI97 Esteemed Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks for such a kind post Daniel - would you be able to shed some light on your commercial awareness strategy please? I'm staying on top of the news and have a good grasp of commercial news but still find the case study still challenging :/

Thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 1