TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hi - how would you approach the 'What motivates you?' question?
I usually try to answer this as honestly as possible, even if it feels a bit cringe because I think they are trying to learn about you as a person. There's definitely no right answer. I usually try to reflect on an experience to back up my answer and make sure my answer is relevant/transferable to my career.

• 🏆
Reactions: Louise59

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Just re read my freshfields personal statement that I have submitted and realised I mention they have six seats but upon reflection it seems they actually have eight. I took this information from multiple sources including chambers student but maybe that was an old post. Annoyed with myself as I really liked the rest of what I wrote. Do you guys think automatic PFO??
Ok I also mentioned immediately after that the fact they offer secondments so hopefully ok
I did this last year and got to WG

Reactions: Sharon Wu

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Why is the Macfarlanes AC is 7 hours long...
    Don’t worry it’s not terrible - mine was for a direct TC at the end of August and I had a written exercise, a case study interview, and a partner interview (competency-based) so roughly 4 hours for that including prep time for the case study and some waiting time between one assessment and the other
    If I’m not mistaken for the vac scheme you also have to do a negotiation exercise (?) this is what I read somewhere - so an additional hour for that
    After that, you have lunch with trainees and some networking (so add 1 hour and a half there)

There you go, 6 hours and a half

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @axelbeugre how are you meant to structure a why you question if there’s not enough word count do go into STAR for your different experiences ? Everyone says not to just list what you did and then skills gained? so confused with this one
    Hey @Vic.99,

In that case I would not focus on the quantity of experiences or skills but choose a couple and dive deeper into why those experiences and skills developed make you the best candidate. This will allow you to talk about yourself and the most important skills that you feel distinguish you from your peers. You do not necessarily need to mention a lot of skills or experiences to be effective in this question so be selective and choose the best skills that will make you an amazing future lawyer.

It should not be a list of experiences or skills I totally agree with this. It should rather be a story of the skills you have developed that will make you a competent future lawyer.

An example can be: ''I believe that my past experiences gave me the opportunity to acquire both soft and hard skills that will be very useful to me as a commercial solicitor. Working as a X at X organisation developed my attention to details and communication skills (and you describe briefly what you did). Moreover, interning at Y allowed me to develop legal research and drafting skills, (and you proceed describing your tasks).'' This is how I used to approach the why me section.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thanks Axel, you explain things really well! Would the work experience section be a similar structure? Usually my work experience sections are quite lengthy and i have some achievements in the roles that loosely follow a 'star' structure, should i change this to be more like the why you question? I hope i am making sense
    I personally treated the work experience a bit different and I tended to describe my tasks and the skills developed without going too much into details. I think the work experience is different from the why you question so keep it a bit more professional, describing the tasks and the skills developed.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.