TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Fulhamfulham

Feb 5, 2024
I received the Stephenson Harwood interactive assessment at noon last Tuesday and it just says 'Please complete this assessment within one week' - when exactly is the deadline for completion? Will it be 7 days starting from the point I received the email?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I received the Stephenson Harwood interactive assessment at noon last Tuesday and it just says 'Please complete this assessment within one week' - when exactly is the deadline for completion? Will it be 7 days starting from the point I received the email?
I would aim to do it by 23.59 tonight just to play on the safe side. The clock may just run in full days and the Tuesday could have counted as the first day.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Oh ok thanks for the reply, will that be as part of the second stage? Also any insight as to why the situational judgement element was scrapped?

Thanks in advance
The video interview is the only stage after an application is submitted.

Looking at the data, the SJT wasn’t an appropriate selection tool for the firm, so it was removed.

Reactions: Kenomy

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, when discussing the impact of technology/AI on the legal sector, what kind of structures do you guys usually use? What key points do you include?
I do not know what you mean by 'structure', but I think that it is important to analyse the topic from a positive as well as a negative lense, meaning highlighting the positive aspects of the use of technology and AI but also what are some of the negative consequences of its use, for example the loss of some positions in law firms (since AI is slowly starting to do everything you need from a legal stand point), but also the lack of personal touch that the interaction lawyers and clients have because of the use of technology (since everything is done only and contracts are stipulated thanks to certain AI tools that will also uncover what the client wants without them being present in a meeting)
some considerations that I would make are:
  • The implementation of technology/AI in a law firm, from contract-drafting to spelling checking, this has helped massively the work lawyers do on a daily basis since they are more able to focus on attracting clients to the firms for instance.
  • The use of technological tools in recruiting has been really helpful to law firms since they are able to screen applicants more quickly and following their requirements. An argument against this can be made too affirming that these tools most of the time can be built with bias and so many candidates, although very qualified, will not pass the screening because of bias factors instilled in the technological softwares used.
  • Some technological tools also help lawyers working from home and enjoy their personal life whilst working long hours.
These are very general and brief considerations you could make, however I would suggest doing your own research and come up with a structure that answers the questions you might be asked in an interview for example. A positive/negative structure, in my opinion, helps you to make intelligent considerations and looking at the topic more objectively, but it depends on what the interviewer wants you to focus on.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application cycle!

Reactions: Cherikon

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
First ever AC completed this afternoon. Can we get a prayer circle going to make it a good outcome...

Hate how you can never really tell how it went because the interviewers will nod along to anything I spout making it so hard to judge 🤞

Thanks to everyone that joined in on the prayer circle, it worked! The power of TCLA ✊

Shepherd and Wedderburn VS offer! 🥳

Cherikon

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 30, 2023
I do not know what you mean by 'structure', but I think that it is important to analyse the topic from a positive as well as a negative lense, meaning highlighting the positive aspects of the use of technology and AI but also what are some of the negative consequences of its use, for example the loss of some positions in law firms (since AI is slowly starting to do everything you need from a legal stand point), but also the lack of personal touch that the interaction lawyers and clients have because of the use of technology (since everything is done only and contracts are stipulated thanks to certain AI tools that will also uncover what the client wants without them being present in a meeting)
some considerations that I would make are:
  • The implementation of technology/AI in a law firm, from contract-drafting to spelling checking, this has helped massively the work lawyers do on a daily basis since they are more able to focus on attracting clients to the firms for instance.
  • The use of technological tools in recruiting has been really helpful to law firms since they are able to screen applicants more quickly and following their requirements. An argument against this can be made too affirming that these tools most of the time can be built with bias and so many candidates, although very qualified, will not pass the screening because of bias factors instilled in the technological softwares used.
  • Some technological tools also help lawyers working from home and enjoy their personal life whilst working long hours.
These are very general and brief considerations you could make, however I would suggest doing your own research and come up with a structure that answers the questions you might be asked in an interview for example. A positive/negative structure, in my opinion, helps you to make intelligent considerations and looking at the topic more objectively, but it depends on what the interviewer wants you to focus on.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application cycle!
Hi Axel,
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! I really appreciate it! Sorry for not clarifying what I meant by 'structure', I was thinking about whether to discuss the problem from the perspectives of different stakeholders (law firms and their employees, clients and alternative legal service providers) or to walk through the past, present and future of legal tech.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.