TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
I know about the legal nepo babies but is there any other way.

I know schemes like 10000 black and able interns exists but just wanted to see if there are any other similar schemes.
The Brokerage, Generation Success Mentoring, SEO London and upReach do a good job of advertising legal internships and providing exclusive ones too.

• Love
Reactions: AB

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
How do people obtain off-cycle internships/shadowing experiences?

I know these opportunities exist because people on LinkedIn have random work experience entries where the dates don't align with vac scheme dates or the work experience lasts for over a month. How do they find out about these and how can I?
You have to dig deep. But more often than not (when it comes to shadowing Gov Professionals/Counsels/etc) it's through "networking". Typically they know someone who knows someone. Some people with this experience will say it's because they "just sent an email in" with their CV, but it's only allowed because they can mention that they know someone that the professional/company networks with.

I realised this when I got my mentor at the start of my MA. He runs a Social Strategy firm in LDN. He informed me that in big roles for internships (not organised), they usually ask interviewees who they know etc. They wanna vet you out for your connects! This was made more clear when my diss supervisor gave me access to academics he knew from all over the country. And once I met them, they mentioned more people that they knew so it became a snowball effect. Sadly that's how it works. You mostly get access to these things because of your connection. I have not encountered anyone who gained an off-cycle experience without knowing someone. That's not to say that an alternative approach doesn't exist, but I have not seen anything outside of this. Grad scheme and general internships are the best bet!

I was so upset not securing a grad role or internship during uni, especially compared to my friends. But when I asked how they got their gigs the overwhelming amount got it because of their parent's STRONG connections.

My friend got a Wank of England Internship cause his mom's a big-time journalist for the BBC and had connects in the company - now he's on the grad scheme. Another friend interned for her Dad's journalism NGO (which he founded), and now she's in PR. The list could go on and on.

• 🤝
  • Sad
Reactions: yueyueer, Sharon Wu and AB

Lawyer500

Distinguished Member
Jan 24, 2024
Mishcon holding email this morning. Funny because before receiving it I was convinced they'd only send it to people they want to progress to the next round but now I don't know what to make of it 😅
I’m 99% sure it’s to do with when you submitted the VI, just to keep clear communication with the candidates, I think it could even be an automated one as mine was sent about 2 weeks after I submitted! I don’t think it has anything to do with if you’ve progressed or not!

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
Does anyone know if VIs are assessed holistically? I feel I did well on 2 of the 3 questions but less well on another and can’t get it out of my head.

Is your application considered at this stage too or is that discounted and it’s solely the content of your VI? I feel like I continually stumbled throughout one of the questions, repeated myself and feel that doing that on one of the questions has killed my chances.

Do you know how they’re reviewed @Jessica Booker?

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Does anyone know if VIs are assessed holistically? I feel I did well on 2 of the 3 questions but less well on another and can’t get it out of my head.

Is your application considered at this stage too or is that discounted and it’s solely the content of your VI? I feel like I continually stumbled throughout one of the questions, repeated myself and feel that doing that on one of the questions has killed my chances.

Do you know how they’re reviewed @Jessica Booker?
I'm not entirely sure but I'd imagine they're considered holistically? If you've performed well on two of the questions, unless the competition was really fierce, it would seem harsh to penalise you if one answer was weaker. Stuttering and repetition is normal (if expected) in a VI because they're unnatural. As long as there was substance to your answer and it was structured well, you probably did better than you think :)

However, I don't think your application comes into it at this stage. You've got through the VI based on the strength of your application so believe the VI is determined on its own merit. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this though!

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
I'm not entirely sure but I'd imagine they're considered holistically? If you've performed well on two of the questions, unless the competition was really fierce, it would seem harsh to penalise you if one answer was weaker. Stuttering and repetition is normal (if expected) in a VI because they're unnatural. As long as there was substance to your answer and it was structured well, you probably did better than you think :)

However, I don't think your application comes into it at this stage. You've got through the VI based on the strength of your application so believe the VI is determined on its own merit. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this though!
From what I know the application is not considered.

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
I’m 99% sure it’s to do with when you submitted the VI, just to keep clear communication with the candidates, I think it could even be an automated one as mine was sent about 2 weeks after I submitted! I don’t think it has anything to do with if you’ve progressed or not!
I'm not sure this is correct. I submitted my VI in February yet there are people who did theirs in December and haven't received the holding email. That said, I think it could simply mean they've now reviewed the VI and made their decision either way.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
When should I expect to hear back post-AC if the vac scheme is rolling?
It depends on the law firm to be honest, with some law firms I heard back two hours after, some people 2 weeks after the final interview with other firms so it is very firm dependent I would say.

But realistically, 1/2 weeks on average I think.

Reactions: xxkeurfijnse

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.