TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Seville123

• Sep 1, 2019
    you're actually a ledgend, thank you so much! do u mind me asking what the exit interview is like? Is it the same as the assessment centre where they ask, what your competencies are, or is it about the scheme and what happened?
    I think it really depends on the firm, so I wouldn’t be able to give an exact answer unfortunately. But I wasn’t asked competency questions in mine.

Reactions: LOLm
    Long time lurker on here but I’ve made an account just to share this as I honestly cannot believe it.

Me and my boyfriend both applied to the same firm at a similar time (we’re both at uni studying law). We reviewed each other’s applications, got through, prepped for the VIs and I thought mine went really badly. He heard yesterday that he got through to the AC and I was really happy for him.

However, I heard today that I also got it and the only available date was THE EXACT SAME DATE AS MY BOYFRIEND’S AC.

I’m not sure what to make of this. In a way, it’ll be nice to have that support network there and is a funny story, but hoping it doesn’t put me off/or I’m not overly jealous if he gets it and I don’t. If we both get it and land a VS together, I probably would pretend I don’t know him so the firm doesn’t judge (if they would).

What a wild turn of events 😭😰

Farhan65756

Distinguished Member
    Feb 3, 2023
    Interview for Travers Smith :) Just heard by phone and applied close to the deadline. Grad rec said they're in the early stages of interviewing to reassure anyone waiting for news.

Any previous experiences gratefully received!
    I'm glad to hear they're still in the early stage of interviewing coz I've not heard back yet. Hopefully I and others get interview offers. Good luck with your interview btw.

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Happy Friday everyone!!
    If anyone needs a sign of motivation here it is…

1. This is my first cycle applying
    2. Yes I have applied to way too Many firms
    3. Yes I have a rejections sheet which is just as impressive 😭
    4. I probably won’t get any offers due to the sheer amount I have applied to but I’ve found joy in applying.
    5. how did I find the time? I had a week or so off of work as I was sick and used that time to apply x Christmas break.
    I had a mind block after my Fieldfisher PFO post TI and wanted to give up all together. But I’d say rejection pushed me to apply to more places. There are some firms I’ve put more effort into than others, and others I applied to just to improve my understanding of tests.
    View attachment 5556
    Hey, been missing your updates, how is it going?

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47

Sharon Wu

Esteemed Member
    Oct 27, 2023
    Holding myself accountable (again). TLDR: 28 apps, five PFO's

Willkie Farr & Gallagher ✅📼📝
    Covington & Burling ✅❌
    Shearman & Sterling ✅
    White & Case ✅📼🎙️
    Milbank ✅
    Ropes & Gray ✅
    Arnold & Porter ✅
    Sullivan & Cromwell ✅❌
    Latham & Watkins ✅
    Kirkland & Ellis ✅
    Skadden Arps ✅
    Vinson & Elkins ✅
    Weil Gotshal & Manges ✅
    Akin ✅📝
    Gibson Dunn ✅❌
    Goodwin ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    Paul Hastings ✅
    Ashurst ✅ 📝❌
    Macfarlanes ✅📝
    Mayer Brown ✅📝
    King & Spalding?
    Winston & Strawn ✅
    Morgan Lewis ✅
    Fried Frank (1st January)
    Orrick ✅
    Dechert ✅
    Cooley ✅
    Morrison Foerster ✅
    Slaughter and May ✅❌

✅ = applied; ❌ = PFO; 📼 = VI; 🎙️ = AC; 📝 = test.
    You too... been missing your updates, how is it going?

Reactions: aspiringlawyer47
    D

Deleted member 32324

Out of curiosity, how did you do in your tests?
    PFO from Baker McKenzie post test.

I’d rather do the WGT 5 times in a row than do another SJT. Done about 5 this cycle and not passed a single one — how can something so simple seemingly be such a big hurdle? 😭

Baker's PFO, at least they are efficient! Quite a shame that so much weighting is placed onto the new test...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.