TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
I've had 5 ACs across previous cycles so I feel well qualified to answer this question (sarcasm)
I'm not sure about common reasons but here are some DO NOTs that I have done.

1. Don't get into an argument with the Partner on the interview panel during the interview. I don't mean a discussion or heated debate, I mean a full blown argument... {AC 1}
2. Don't get into an argument with a member of graduate recruitment on the interview panel during the interview. (This was a different interview to that above). {AC 2}
3. Don't get into a heated debate with a Senior Associate during the interview. (same panel as number 2). {AC 2}
(If you see them exchange a glance at the end, just know that you are not getting the job. In fact, a sensible person would know this before it got to that point, but I did not).
4. Don't state obvious lies. I said I was an Olympian. I don't even play sport for the country or at county level. I don't even play sport period. {AC 3}
[I was nervous, and my mouth kept moving without engaging with my brain first...].
5. Don't go to the interview wearing or with items from another law firm. e.g. like a pen, pad, umbrella etc. (The partner kindly pointed this out to me, that it would appear I was leaning more to other firms, pointing at the items from other law firms that I had brought in. (Thankfully I did not argue with him) {AC 4}
6. Don't lie. And if you are going to lie, then back it up with something sensible. I stated that I'm a runner and did the marathon in 2 hours. {AC 4}
{Again, I've no idea why I bothered lying. I could have just used something that I actually do}

DO NOTs that I have not done, but have witnessed
(1) do not arrive late, (2) do not smell (3)do not forget to iron your clothes (4) do not go overkill with perfume (5) do not smoke, only to go to the loo and brush your teeth

What I've learned. Just be yourself. Lots of people (like me) just crucify themselves. My nerves just take over and I just become someone else. Just be yourself. You will be fine. This year I was myself and I have got the furthest than any cycles before, manage to bag myself a Spring VS.

(On an aside, RonRod has rubbed a few people up the wrong way today, but at least it was virtual and not in person, at a law firm, to a panel or partner like me...we all deserve another chance)...
Oh my gosh i am so sorry this happened to you but you are hilarious🤣🤣🤣 laughed out loud for the first time this week.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I've had 5 ACs across previous cycles so I feel well qualified to answer this question (sarcasm)

1. Don't get into an argument with the Partner on the interview panel during the interview. I don't mean a discussion or heated debate, I mean a full blown argument... {AC 1}
2. Don't get into an argument with a member of graduate recruitment on the interview panel during the interview. (This was a different interview to that above). {AC 2}
3. Don't get into a heated debate with a Senior Associate during the interview. (same panel as number 2). {AC 2}
(If you see them exchange a glance at the end, just know that you are not getting the job. In fact, a sensible person would know this before it got to that point, but I did not).
4. Don't state obvious lies. I said I was an Olympian. I don't even play sport for the country or at county level. I don't even play sport period. {AC 3}
[I was nervous, and my mouth kept moving without engaging with my brain first...].
5. Don't go to the interview wearing or with items from another law firm. e.g. like a pen, pad, umbrella etc. (The partner kindly pointed this out to me, that it would appear I was leaning more to other firms, pointing at the items from other law firms that I had brought in. (Thankfully I did not argue with him) {AC 4}
6. Don't lie. And if you are going to lie, then back it up with something sensible. I stated that I'm a runner and did the marathon in 2 hours. {AC 4}
{Again, I've no idea why I bothered lying. I could have just used something that I actually do}

(1) do not arrive late, (2) do not smell (3)do not forget to iron your clothes (4) do not go overkill with perfume (5) do not smoke, only to go to the loo and brush your teeth

What I've learned. Just be yourself. Lots of people (like me) just crucify themselves. My nerves just take over and I just become someone else. Just be yourself. You will be fine. This year I was myself and I have got the furthest than any cycles before, manage to bag myself a Spring VS.

(On an aside, RonRod has rubbed a few people up the wrong way today, but at least it was virtual and not in person, at a law firm, to a panel or partner like me...we all deserve another chance)...
How have you managed to land yourself in arguments with both a Partner and a graduate recruitment member? I’m really intrigued to know what you argued about 😭

And as funny as the Olympian one is, I’m dying at the marathon one. You’ve literally told a Partner that you broke the world record for a marathon by about 30 minutes 😂😂 I don’t even know how you do that or what the reaction was but that’s hilarious. Thanks for brightening up the forum and glad you got a VS!

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024

Eliud Kipchoge must be shook with that marathon time

icl

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 21, 2022
Bakers PFO post-VI.

This is now my 3rd VI that I've failed this cycle, and from past cycles I know VIs are my weak point, but I thought that this was my best VI so far. I also failed at this same stage for Bakers last year, which makes this more dejecting.

I've never gotten to an AC and really need to know how to improve my VIs. I am wondering if it would be worth it to DSAR the firm, even though in the PFO email they say they are unable to provide specific feedback? Would also appreciate any help from people who have gone through the same issue and later made it past VIs!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
**Please read**

I am going to delete any further posts trying to bring up the W&C competitor debate and anything associated with it that has any form of condescending or superiority tone to it. A number of posts have already been removed from this thread for this reason.

If this was an assessment, none of you would have passed it with the approaches or thinking I have seen. The constant “I have to have the last word” and trying to one up-manship each other is tiresome.

We have already sent some warnings out about this to some members and we will send more if needed. Warnings can result in temporary or permanent bans from the forums.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Long time lurker on here but I’ve made an account just to share this as I honestly cannot believe it.

Me and my boyfriend both applied to the same firm at a similar time (we’re both at uni studying law). We reviewed each other’s applications, got through, prepped for the VIs and I thought mine went really badly. He heard yesterday that he got through to the AC and I was really happy for him.

However, I heard today that I also got it and the only available date was THE EXACT SAME DATE AS MY BOYFRIEND’S AC.

I’m not sure what to make of this. In a way, it’ll be nice to have that support network there and is a funny story, but hoping it doesn’t put me off/or I’m not overly jealous if he gets it and I don’t. If we both get it and land a VS together, I probably would pretend I don’t know him so the firm doesn’t judge (if they would).

What a wild turn of events 😭😰
I have heard many stories like this in my time. Law is actually a pretty small world, so I have seen relatives, housemates, couples, best friends, neighbours be in VS or TC cohorts.

• ℹ️
Reactions: jnice and Sharon Wu

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023

What’s the best way to respond to criticism from the interviewers? I’m interested in how you can end up in an argument.

EqualityNonNegotiable

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2023
Does anyone know who Bevan Brittan’s competitors are?
I would start with checking the firm's top tier practice areas on Legal500, then check what other firms are in the same tier (also on Legal500).

This, obviously isn't a fullproof, complete research strategy but a good starting point imo.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.