TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
The third band (highest) for applied verbal intellect and numerical intellect. And then 3 for Grit, 9 for applied intellect, 6 for Creative force and 7 for Digital mindset. Not sure why that score for grit... I always try to take initiative and be proactive etc. I think it will highly depend on the VI whether I get to the next stage.
Mine was 6,4,4,4, Yes I think the VI is considered more when it comes to making a decision.

Reactions: Legalstalker

Chelsea1

Star Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    Got a reply from Shoosmiths for the discover placement. The email said that they want me to stay engaged with Shoosmiths as they see potential in me. Does this mean I might be invited to the AC, or is this a general thing they say to all applicants?
    Do you mean the bit where it says " Engage with us on social media (see links below) for firm wide news and legal updates which will ensure you maintain a high level of commercial awareness." - If not, then maybe you got a bespoke email rather than the generic pfo ...?

SB220398

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2024
    Do you mean the bit where it says " Engage with us on social media (see links below) for firm wide news and legal updates which will ensure you maintain a high level of commercial awareness." - If not, then maybe you got a bespoke email rather than the generic pfo ...?
    Mine said that too but before that it said something along the lines of ‘although you were not successful at this stage…we want you to stay engaged with shoosmiths as we see real potential in you’. Did you get that too?

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Got a reply from Shoosmiths for the discover placement. The email said that they want me to stay engaged with Shoosmiths as they see potential in me. Does this mean I might be invited to the AC, or is this a general thing they say to all applicants?
    I think it’s because you’ll still be considered for a TC if the email didn’t say you were unsuccessful with both (I saw someone in the forum who had that) so stay engaged as in “you’re still in for the running for a Training Contract” 😊

SB220398

Standard Member
    Feb 3, 2024
    I think it’s because you’ll still be considered for a TC if the email didn’t say you were unsuccessful with both (I saw someone in the form who had that) so stay engaged as in “you’re still in for the running for a Training Contract” 😊
    I think it’s because you’ll still be considered for a TC if the email didn’t say you were unsuccessful with both (I saw someone in the forum who had that) so stay engaged as in “you’re still in for the running for a Training Contract” 😊
    That makes sense, thank you for clarifying😁

Reactions: Sunshinepink

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    What were your scores like for the WBD sjt. The test was similar to other ones I have done but my scores turned out to be very different.
    Medium Verbal, High numerical - crazy because I’m dreadful at maths. Previously it’s been the other way around.

7477 - applied intellect is my weakness.

Not a terrible showing.

VIs weren’t fantastic.

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Medium Verbal, High numerical - crazy because I’m dreadful at maths. Previously it’s been the other way around.

7477 - applied intellect is my weakness.

Not a terrible showing.

VIs weren’t fantastic.
    I think this better than M&R results. They’re torturing me at the minute with the waiting time.

I’m finishing a Browne Jacobson app which is essentially the same test.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    I didn't say you need legal experience. I said the competition is people with strong extra curricular, society exec positions, university prestige and strong grades. The suggestion of being a paralegal was if she has since graduated uni or doesn't have enough time left to really adopt these factors, legal experience for a year would provide the most direct and available chance to make up for not being involved enough at university. She could equally go and become an accountant for a year, but this may raise questions in the interview that are easier avoided. She may also work stocking shelves, but again, this puts her at a disadvantage in the current climate of fierce competition.
    I think we’ll have to agree to disagree!

I know many people who graduated with 1sts, started their own societies and STILL could not manage to land any VSs/TCs. University prestige isn’t a crazy advantage anymore either. Those factors are absolutely null and void if speaking to the candidate is like speaking to a brick wall. University prestige won’t help when they need to work in a team or take risks. Also, just because someone has done ALL of those things doesn’t mean they are able to transfer what they’ve learnt into an appropriate format for interviews and assessments.

From personal experience, every single TC/VS interview I have been to, the interviewers have asked me about two experiences on my CV that are not related to law. I’ve been working in the profession for over 3 years now and it’s those two particular experiences that they’re interested in. Everyone can paralegal these days but partners have said they’re interested in people who have done things outside of law.

Regarding your point about legal experience, even if someone went off to be an accountant for a year, they may still have an advantage over those who did loads of law related stuff at university. They’ve got real life experience and being an accountant is very similar to being a lawyer. And the question the firm would want to know is why did they become an accountant in the first place? Why did they switch to law? What was it like taking such a leap? Questions that anyone could answer!

Sorry for the clogging the forum guys but bottom line is whether you’re an air hostess, paralegal or cleaner, your REAL LIFE experiences will never put you at a disadvantage as long as you are able to sell it to your interviewers!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.