TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Freshfields VS offer!!!!! I’m still in denial, I need to look at the email about 15 times a day to make sure it’s not a prank.

I have a question: Has anyone heard of a case with Freshfields or even another firm providing or paying for accommodation? I live in London currently but in student accommodation and I will not have accommodation over the course of the programme.
Freshfields provide for accommodation for those who need it the most during the VS. They don't have enough to offer it to everyone on the VS unfortunately but if you request it there's a good chance they will provide it. I'm sure they will send an email in due course inviting you to submit a request.

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
Does anyone know whether firms provide accommodation when completing a VS if you don’t live in London?

I don’t have any connections in London who I could stay with and paying for accommodation for 2 weeks in London in the middle of summer already looks very expensive. However, I don’t know if this is an unreasonable request or will make me appear rude to firms?

Any thoughts @Jessica Booker?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Does anyone know whether firms provide accommodation when completing a VS if you don’t live in London?

I don’t have any connections in London who I could stay with and paying for accommodation for 2 weeks in London in the middle of summer already looks very expensive. However, I don’t know if this is an unreasonable request or will make me appear rude to firms?

Not Jessica, but in my experience it is quite firm dependent. In my experience, Covington & Willkie have both been very supportive in supporting me with accommodation in London (I am from the north). One thing I have noticed is that for firms with regional offices tend to be slightly more resistant towards providing support - or broadly, will be asking why you picked a London office instead of one of their regional ones that might be closer to you. I was always hesitant at first raising it, in case it looked bad on me or rude. But since raising it, firms have been incredibly supportive and may offer various support - i.e., they may expense your hotel fees, put you up in a hotel and they pay outright, or they can make payment advance to support your hotel costs. So I don't think it hurts to ask at all!

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    I have an interview at a firm next week who do work in a niche area that I'm personally very interested in (I wrote my dissertation on a novel topic in the area). However, it isn't one of their core practices and I think there is only one partner who works in the practice group at the London office (there aren't loads of partners in the London office in total tbf) although their overseas offices do more work on it. Would it be unwise to talk about this practice group as one of the reasons I'm interested in the firm? I have already mentioned it in my cover letter and will focus on other areas too in my answer but I have a very genuine interest in this work.
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker would love to know your thoughts!
    I always struggle with this, too. I'm also keen to get into a pretty niche area of the law but thought the general advice was to avoid talking about it if the firm don't offer training in that area and/or don't regard it as a growth area. I always think my interest is something that sets me apart from other candidates, but also from a business perspective firms aren't interested in investing in training trainees to do "passion work" if the area isn't contributing hugely to their overall growth. Essentially I've always thought it comes down to whether that personal interest is useful to them as a business or not.

Obviously also interested in some better insight on how to tackle this sort of situation!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have an interview at a firm next week who do work in a niche area that I'm personally very interested in (I wrote my dissertation on a novel topic in the area). However, it isn't one of their core practices and I think there is only one partner who works in the practice group at the London office (there aren't loads of partners in the London office in total tbf) although their overseas offices do more work on it. Would it be unwise to talk about this practice group as one of the reasons I'm interested in the firm? I have already mentioned it in my cover letter and will focus on other areas too in my answer but I have a very genuine interest in this work.
    @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker would love to know your thoughts!
    Id ensure there is more balance. The reality is that your chances of working in that niche area would be pretty limited, and it could be a popular area with other trainees.

It is fine to reference it but given you have already highlighted it on your application and your dissertation is on the same topic, this could be an opportunity to show your interest in a wider range of areas.

Reactions: neonorange

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Most firms won't.

Some may provide you with some form of living allowance on top of your salary if you meet certain conditions. Others may be able to offer something like a salary advance. A few firms do offer full accommodation support, but it is rare given it isn't something they offer to employees more generally.

You should speak to the firm's graduate recruitment team/HR to see how they can support you. It is not a problem to ask.

If they do provide some form of support, you'll most likely need to arrange something and they may provide financial assistance. They are unlikely to book the accommodation for you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I always struggle with this, too. I'm also keen to get into a pretty niche area of the law but thought the general advice was to avoid talking about it if the firm don't offer training in that area and/or don't regard it as a growth area. I always think my interest is something that sets me apart from other candidates, but also from a business perspective firms aren't interested in investing in training trainees to do "passion work" if the area isn't contributing hugely to their overall growth. Essentially I've always thought it comes down to whether that personal interest is useful to them as a business or not.

Obviously also interested in some better insight on how to tackle this sort of situation!
    Its fine to reference "passion work" but I would just balance it out with a broader range of interests if it is not a core practice area for the firm.

Reactions: neonorange

Kiwi239

Oct 24, 2022
    @axelbeugre I have been lucky enough to have gotten onto the Goodwin vac scheme, and was wondering if you had any advice on how to be successful and impress enough to get the TC? Do you have any insights into how you were assessed? Finally, what were your thoughts on the firm and what ultimately led you to accept the offer? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: axelbeugre

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Congrats!!! While not for Freshfields, I accepted a place at a firm for a SVS that had never mentioned extra funding or anything for housing, etc. and I emailed them (because I don’t even live in London and it’s expensive in the middle of June😭) about it, and they straight away offered to pay for a hotel for me! Can never hurt asking given they know how expensive it can be!
    this is so nice! which firm is this?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    View attachment 5906
    It’s our 5th date now in the past 3 months. Hopefully we progress to the next stage this time round! We’ve only been meeting online but this time I think I’ll get an in person

Fingers crossed😌
    Amberjack the Bain of my life 😭 I’ve done 7!!

Side note props to you doing a VI on your phone 😳 that’s insane 😩🤣

• Haha
    Reactions: Chelsea1

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.