TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

jenniferrrrrrr

Star Member
Sep 11, 2023
I was recently offered a VS with two scheme dates - just wondering if there is a general advantage / disadvantage for taking the former or latter scheme in terms of converting it into a TC? thanks :) this is squire patton boggs if anyone has firm specific info!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was recently offered a VS with two scheme dates - just wondering if there is a general advantage / disadvantage for taking the former or latter scheme in terms of converting it into a TC? thanks :) this is squire patton boggs if anyone has firm specific info!
I personally don’t see there being any direct advantage/disadvantage of doing one over the other. Some will say you should do the earliest scheme in case they offer as they go, but firms will not over offer on earlier schemes for fear of missing out better talent in the latter schemes. For a firm like SPB, they have got a good number of TCs, are not going to offer every vac schemer, and not all vac schemers they offer will accept, so I don’t think it will be competitive amongst vac schemers.

• 🏆
Reactions: jenniferrrrrrr

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello! If anyone has any insights or tips as to what to expect and how to prepare for the Debevoise vacation scheme it would be really appreciated!
I do not necessarily know about the specific scheme in question but I shared some tips on how to convert a vacation scheme and things to focus on so I will share it here:
Post in thread 'TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-169320

Alternatively, there is another article which is really useful:
Thread 'Converting your vacation scheme into a training contract - top tips in 2021'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....to-a-training-contract-top-tips-in-2021.3454/

www.thecorporatelawacademy.com

Convert your vacation scheme into a training contract | The Corporate Law Academy

We spoke to Rosie Watterson, founder of the blog Apply.Shine.Win, to learn how students can convert their vacation scheme into a training contract offer.

I hope this is useful!

Another main tip is probably to reach out to future trainees on LinkedIn as they would know first hand what to expect and although some will not reply, others will and you never know, they might be extremely helpful. This is what I did when I was applying last year and I found incredible people who helped me massively.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.